What is the best, strongest 8 3/4 housing?

-
I wouldn't be too sure...I hear your a little hard on equipment...you definately don't pussyfoot anything....GOOD THING you got a Dana in the Duster

I think they switch over to the 742 case in 65 but could have been in 64. But they were in the 62-63 Max Wedge cars so they can't be that weak. I think I read somewhere awhile back that a stock 8 3/4 was good for 500hp.

I understand all the different center cases and there differences now after reading this and the link that was posted earlier. The only thing I'm fuzzy on is the ability to interchange these center sections in a given axle housing. I currently have a 741 center case and would like to switch to a 742 or 489, do any of these swp to my axle house or do I have to find a housing to match the center section? My guess is they interchange, but I could be wrong. Thanks.

edited - forgot to mention I'm going to be running 550-600HP and using slicks at the track.

I know I went 11,50s with a 741 for five yr. with no trouble. and like crakedback said ill take all the 741s that anyone wants to throw my way..Artie

Yes, you can swap between center sections with no problem. One thing to be aware of is that the power lock sure grip units had some spacer buttons that may or may not need to be retained. It depends on which carrier and which bearings you use.

Yes Mark, It's OK. That case works fine for what you are planning.

I'll happily take all those junk, weak sauce 741's with the equally junk cone sure grips since they are worthless... LOL

Each of the cases have a weak point in original pinion design.

Unless you are dead hooking a big HP car that weighs a bunch, any 8.75 rear is good. And when you get to that point, there isn't a 8.75 that will live in that environment for long.

:salute:

-
Back