What is the deal with 1972 and earlier model years?

-

kelleherdl

Reaction score
I have seen in many places reference to 1972 and earlier model years defining some sort of classic cut-off. What is the objective reason for that? Does it only have to do with emission standards and safety standards kicking in? Or is it 'group think' that 1973 and after cars suck? I think it is even in the Good Guys definition of whether your car qualifies as a 'true' classic.

I tried to search the forums and see if this has been discussed, but with no luck. Sorry if it has been. I really am curious. Yes, my car is a '73.

Dennis

Smog might be part of that, but "smog" started in 66 in CA and 68 federally. It got some worse almost every year. In 70, CA went to evaporations (carbon can) and in 71 federal. EGR followed somewhere around 72. I mean it simply gets worse. Some guys did not like the "picnic table" shock absorbing bumpers, and some guys didn't like the "beak" grille.

And it's personal. for me a Dart IS 67--69. For me the GTX / Satellite platform IS 66--70. I don't care for the style, generally of the 71/ later B bodies. This depends on "how they are built"

72 is fine , the engines are still good , no big bumpers . 73 up is where the bumpers grew , engines choices were fewer and more power robbing pollution devices , big blocks if they could be had , very few left by 75 had less hp than a 318 in 70 . Still like the 74 Road Runner though .

Why not email or call Mark Meadows at Good_Guys.com and ask him. It's the Good Guys that set the year bracket.

Yep, after 72 horsepower was way down, emission control was way up, safety regs made everything bigger, heavier and more utilitarian over style! What does that mean for you, because you have a 73?? It means that the bumper was bigger and the style of the car had to reflect and absorb that I to a look that form followed function!! Old schoolers like the earlier look, but it's YOUR car, so the only persons opinion you should care about is your own!

My personal opinion is that because of logistics, and the lack of affordable 72 and earlier cars, the 73 and later cars have come on strong! There are tons of them out there to choose from, and some very high quality rust free examples to choose from! Almost gone are the days of finding an affordable 67-9 Barracuda or Dart, a 70-72 Duster or Demon, and don't even get me on the subject of 68-70 Roadrunners and Chargers!

So, what's wrong with your 73??? Not a damn thing, man!! Enjoy it while you're u got it, it could be an 80's Camaro or Trans Am!!

Yeah, I guess it's a little bit of both, emissions and safety. On the safety end of it, just look how they addressed the 5mph bumpers on the 73 & 74 Cudas. The mid 70s were awful in terms of performance - the manufacturers couldn't figure out how to balance emissions and performance. Guess its just easier for most people to go back a few years and take an earlier car model.

Also, the later cars can make things more difficult for owners in some states / localities. Some smog inspection laws are still in effect, that can be a tough road.

for many years the Mopar crowd has figured the last of the real muscle cars being 71 or 2. due to all the forementioned details. that does not mean that as time goes on more people can't love the 73 up cars, but when it comes to value, and desirability in general, there are certain years and models that get more attention. just fact.

back in the early 90's NO ONE gave a hoot bout a 71 charger RT. ( O K maybe 3 people in the U S!).....had one, I know. then as time marched on more and more people developed a love for that generation of ply and dodge. quite a few people now totally into them. BUT offer one of those guys a chance to trade it for say, a 69 roadrunner or charger...... most would change CAMPS!!!!!?? just fact???? now which is more likely to be regarded as desirable? the 72 charger or the 69 charger??????

73 was the first of the beak nose cars ;)

Wasn't it right around that year that they changed HP ratings to make the engines "look" less powerfull

they changed the horsepower rating system from gross to net saying it was a more accurate way of doing it!??? maybe 72????? I think part of it was another means of downplaying the high performance deal. the gov't.,, the insurance co. pretty much killed off the muscle car, and as time marched on, fast cars were not "politically acceptable"!???
one thing I like about this A body group, we are generally not held hostage like the B and E body guys. we find our fun where it lies, whether the beak nosed cars, the first gen cuda, the slant, or whatever!????

73 and up only needs a compression boost and tuning to get some go power.
There were some good changes in 73 for SB V8 A bodies also:
26" radiator
spool motor and tranny mounts.
low gear set 904s
part throttle kickdown
OD 833
Dual snorkel hood scoop I think was 73?
Better designed air box for AC
Heavier front end parts from B bodies were used.
Better front and rear brakes.
Side impact bars in the doors.
I'm sure there is more to list.

73 and up only needs a compression boost and tuning to get some go power.
There were some good changes in 73 for SB V8 A bodies also:
26" radiator
spool motor and tranny mounts.
low gear set 904s
part throttle kickdown
OD 833
Dual snorkel hood scoop I think was 73?
Better designed air box for AC
Heavier front end parts from B bodies were used.
Better front and rear brakes.
Side impact bars in the doors.
I'm sure there is more to list.

Have a 67 Dart with air, how much better is the 73 newer ac box and can it be modified to fit the older Darts?

It's all a matter of taste! If done right anything can be cool! Will everybody like it? No! Do you like it? That's all that matters! You can put any motor in it,(depending on where you live) you can change the bumpers. Here one of the biggest events is the Street Rod Nationals, it used to be pre 49' only. The last three years they opened it up to 30 years and older. Some of theThe street rod guys are still mad! Just my penny! Like someone said, the 72 and up cars can be found in great shape still and cheap!

As many have mentioned here things started changing rapidly in about 70, performance in engines went downhill fast, the safety standards which started in 67 became more extreme, and emissions which started with PCVs in the mid 60s also really ramped up, ultimately leading to catalytic converters in 75.

Depending on where you live and the age of your car the emission standards can really limit what you can do to your car.

I started playing with cars in the late 60s and all these changes seemed like the end of the world.

What the changes did was inspire people who still wanted performance cars to pick up their tools and get busy, learning what works and what doesn't in the quest for more power.

I still remember reading a road test of a new 74 Torino and them saying that the front bumper had all the style of a chrome plated railroad tie.

Have a 67 Dart with air, how much better is the 73 newer ac box and can it be modified to fit the older Darts?

It's basically a 2 piece box, heat on one side AC on the other. I changed out my heater core with everything under the dash very easily. All screws instead of those big box clips.

The cutoff for eligibility for "vintage" car events seems to be 1974 and older. At least it is here in CA, where that also happens to be the cutoff for smog checks. I haven't really seen any venues use a cutoff of 1972, myself.

There really isn't a hard-and-fast rule, it's just a general feeling that "real" cars started being legislated out of existence sometime in the early-to-mid-seventies. The year might be different for different marques and models, and certainly for different states.

-
Back