What is the most desirable exterior paint color?

-

Huron33

Reaction score
Hey guys and gals,
Was hoping to pick your brain on what the would be the most desirable color for collectability and resale on a 70-72 Plymouth duster.

Thanks in advance

IMG_2137.JPG

(just read the ENTIRE post)

paint it the color that is on the fender tag
the color Ma Mopar picked will always fetch top dollar

if your asking what colors are popular, i think EL5 is hard to be but plumcrazy purple and moulin rogue are about the most recognizable mopar colors, them and sassy green

whatever you end up doing, PAINT THE ENGINE BAY BODY COLOR

Anything shiny will work.

It's YOUR car, not some ephemeral buyer's car. Paint it the color YOU like, and what makes YOU happy. You will never get your money out of a restored Duster. Go with some ugly Ford Edsel two tone scheme with a Chevrolet black engine bay if you like, and to anyone who bitches at you, give them the finger.

Well, according to the paint stats for high impact colors for 1970-72 (by percentage of production, 340 percentages are just for 340 cars)

1970 duster 340: plum crazy=3.2% , sublime=5.7% , go mango=5.7% , hemi orange=8.1% , lemon twist=11.3% , green go=1.7% , panther pink=1.9%
1970 duster: plum crazy=3.2% , sublime=2.2% , go mango=1.8% , hemi orange=1.4% , lemon twist=1.4% , green go=0.7% , panther pink=0.7%
1971 duster 340: plum crazy=3.6% , hemi orange=13.6% , lemon twist=1.8% , green go=6.5% , citron yella=6.7% , bahama yellow=5.0%
1971 duster: plum crazy=2.1% , hemi orange=4.6% , lemon twist=1.7% , green go=2.1% , citron yella=2.1% , bahama yellow=3.3%
1972 duster 340: hemi orange=11.7% , lemon twist=9.2%
1972 duster: hemi orange=3.6% , lemon twist=3.2%

Here's the rest of the high impact stats High Impact Color Production % #'s

Of course, those were people's tastes back then, not necessarily now. For resale, I have to agree the highest value is usually the original color for the car if the car was anything special to begin with or if there's any originality to the car (numbers match, etc). I think that goes out the window if you've got a /6 car that's some '70's brown or green. Or if everything else has been modified. No point in the original color if nothing else is original. If there's no fender tag or build sheet, you can paint it whatever you want. And yeah, if you want to maximize resale you'll paint the engine compartment body color. There are quite a few mopar nuts that won't even consider a car if the engine compartment is blacked out/not body color. Their take on it is that anyone that knows anything about Mopars knows the engine compartment should be body color, so, if it isn't it means that the person that worked on the car doesn't know what they're doing. So really it's not so much that the engine compartment is blacked out, it's that they figure the engine compartment color is probably the least of their worries because the last person to work on the car was an idiot.

Seems to me everyone paints these things Plum Crazy, Sublime, Hemi Orange or GoMango, because if you go to a car show that's what the majority of them are regardless of what they were originally. I personally think plum crazy is way overdone, and there is a reason car dealers refer to "resale red". If you want to do some "research" you could look at the aerial views from the Spring Fling meet, or any other of the big meets really. I just knew where to find the spring fling pictures...The Giant Mopar Photo Gallery From Spring Fling!

It's YOUR car, not some ephemeral buyer's car. Paint it the color YOU like, and what makes YOU happy. You will never get your money out of a restored Duster. Go with some ugly Ford Edsel two tone scheme with a Chevrolet black engine bay if you like, and to anyone who bitches at you, give them the finger.
23rd word in the original post "resale"

not sure if hes a flipper or thinking ahead, on how to best recoup some of the money spend on that, but it sure sounds like what he "likes" is to have a car he can sell

(just read the ENTIRE post)

Paint it the color that is on the fender tag
the color Ma Mopar picked will always fetch top dollar
If your asking what colors are popular, i think EL5 is hard to be but plumcrazy purple and moulin rogue are about the most recognizable mopar colors, them and sassy green
Whatever you end up doing, PAINT THE ENGINE BAY BODY COLOR

I agree to a point.....
There are some colors that the factory applied that are hideous. Tawny gold? The light greens they used, Petty/Corporate blue, the tan color....Ugh.
The A bodies from 63-66 had some bland colors too.
YES, on average... the stock color will appeal to a larger pool of buyers. The closer to stock a car is, the more likely it will find a buyer willing to pay more.
But....All it takes is ONE interested person to buy your car. I have told myself this every time a car I have is slow to sell. Only ONE person is needed to sell it. If that one person just LOVES the car in "Resale Red", he won't care if it was originally white or Panther Pink.
I have sold several cars on ebay. Only 2 of them were repainted in colors close to their original hue. Nobody cared about the cars that were color changed, at least I never had anyone ask why...

they don't call it resale red for nothing... :)

that being said its all subjective.. different people want different colors.. if i were looking i'd buy an odd ball color over a way over done high impct color but it seems most like the high impact colors these days..

''Arrest me Red'' or a medium blue is popular as selling colors these days.
White seems to be gaining popularity if it has black stripes...........

How many black dusters where made in 1970

Don't quite have that number, but some of the info is on Hamtramck-Historical for '71 and '72. For '71 I think the Duster information would be included in the Valiant info, based on that's the way they did it ini '72 also. This is in the "advance information" section of the library at The 1970 Hamtramck Registry Home Page . The advance information also includes some info on the option packages as well. Stuff like 77.5% of the '71 valiant model had automatic transmissions, or 23.9% had A/C, that sort of thing.

1972_Plymouth_11.jpg

1972_Plymouth_12.jpg

73_Plymouth_advance_Info0012.jpg

23rd word in the original post "resale"

not sure if hes a flipper or thinking ahead, on how to best recoup some of the money spend on that, but it sure sounds like what he "likes" is to have a car he can sell
Lol ahh I just might be flipper

Last edited:
-
Back