What is the oil trick that is done for Iron adjustable rockers?

-

myasylum

Reaction score
Awhile back I was reading that with the Crane Iron rockers and the stock 273 rocker there was a oil trick you could use for better lubrication. I know where you are suppose to drill the hole, but what do you use to fill in the top hole? Do you weld it shut?
Suppose you did this to every other rocker, so oil would flow from both directions, is that a option also?
Could someone explain this theory to me?
Thanks much!!

I think I remember someone here saying that they tapped the hole, used a allen headed set screw, and put them in with loctite so that they wouldn't back out.

You know??? I never heard that method... but that makes sense! hmm....?

Thanks!

What about the idea of drilling out every other hole? So then two would be shooting up, and two down?

I don't know, there's really no point in having any geyser action, the only places that need lubrication are the points where the rockers meet the shaft inside the rocker, and the tips of the rockers against the top of the valves.

I believe the rockers have a oil hole for the valve tip and one for the pushrod cup. You can increase the flow to the rockers by grooving the 2 cam journals that oil the heads and make sure the oil passages are clear through the block and heads. toolman

I run a old set of those rockers and under the rocker there is a hole to lube the valve tip.

O.k. I just drilled them out, and tapped them. (I broke one tap!:angryfir:) I gotta figure out how to get that one out yet... Anyhow... How can I clean these? I don't have a parts washer, will soap and water make these rust?

Thanks!

4-40 tap I believe.

My dad had a tap remover, but I think it was a bit big... we couldn't get it quite in the grooves, but it was close.

Yea, I'd like to clean these some how, because when you tap stuff you get all those metal shavings and all that, you know?

Standard oiling mods on non stock shafts adding banana grooves to the oil hole and replacing the adjusters with Smith Brothers adjusters. The Cranes have a history of having non hardened balls on the adjusters. One way to check is run them over a file. if you get shavings replace them.

Do you have a picture of the banana groove? That's the first I heard of "Smith Brothers Adjusters". That is why I went with Crane because the adjusters were suppose to be better then the stock 273's to begin with.

I may just fill in the broken tap with Loctite :) IDK? Just one rocker, you know?

I believe the rockers have a oil hole for the valve tip and one for the pushrod cup. You can increase the flow to the rockers by grooving the 2 cam journals that oil the heads and make sure the oil passages are clear through the block and heads. toolman

Yes,banana grooving.

Yes,banana grooving.
Did you say banana grooving?

banana010.gif

Why is it, when ever I think I am getting somewhere on a project, someone brings up something else I didn't know?? URGH!

Can I add banana grooving on my stock shafts? I am still waiting for parts anyway, so I might take a stab at this with a Dremel tool or something?

Would you then suggest going over the shafts with a Emory cloth or something?

Thanks!

ignore this... A Bodies only seems to be freaking out on me at the moment... Please see above!
Thanks!

I usually use a file to make banana grooves. Get an old shaft you dont care about and practice on it.

-
Back