what is the problem with discount and some of these tire joints these days.

-
Really? Then how can I drive my AWD Fusion on dry roads with many, many curves on them? I drive 45 minutes to work every day and there are only about 5 miles that are straight roads. I have not burnt any thing out yet.

Best guess is the difference in speed between the inside and outside tire must be within the tolerance. Might not even be enough that the computer notices.

I'm not arguing for the line of thought, only saying there is more to the systems now than just a mechanical means of taking up the slack. AWD/4WD might have always had differentials to absorb the differences, but the old cars didn't have a computer trying to work ABS and/or traction control. My only point is there is more to the new systems than just a differential that can (as in maybe, if the conditions are right) be effected with different sized tires. What those conditions are, is beyond the point I tried to make.

So do tell. What's your secret?

My secret is easy!! I have a friend who runs the #1 Discount Tire store in the nation! He has been working for Discount Tire since we were in high school, and he dated the daughter of Discount Tires founder! Even the other Discount Tire stores around me are always in awe when they get a look at the price I pay for tires from his store! My moms husband had a set of Michelin radials put on his Jeep at Kevin's store, drove to lunch about an hour away and thought one of the tires was out of balance! Went to the Discount Tire store in that town and showed them the receipt, they couldn't believe the total he paid for those tires!!

Kevin will do anything I ask them to do, order any tire I want, put them on any rim I bring in, and when the Michelins on Nellas van were starting to crack last year, he completely warrantied every tire on the van, even the spare! And, they were the original tires that came on the van, I didn't even buy them there!!

Not going to convince me that Discount does anything but go overboard for their customers!!

Individual results vary. Guess it seems if you know someone you're treated better. Discount here is a joke. They don't do any flat repairs anymore.

Well...that's just not fair!!!!!!!! :poke:

I'm jealous, but that's what good friend are for:)

My secret is easy!! I have a friend who runs the #1 Discount Tire store in the nation! He has been working for Discount Tire since we were in high school, and he dated the daughter of Discount Tires founder! Even the other Discount Tire stores around me are always in awe when they get a look at the price I pay for tires from his store! My moms husband had a set of Michelin radials put on his Jeep at Kevin's store, drove to lunch about an hour away and thought one of the tires was out of balance! Went to the Discount Tire store in that town and showed them the receipt, they couldn't believe the total he paid for those tires!!

Kevin will do anything I ask them to do, order any tire I want, put them on any rim I bring in, and when the Michelins on Nellas van were starting to crack last year, he completely warrantied every tire on the van, even the spare! And, they were the original tires that came on the van, I didn't even buy them there!!

Not going to convince me that Discount does anything but go overboard for their customers!!

Well...that's just not fair!!!!!!!! :poke:

I'm jealous, but that's what good friend are for:)

I've been into cars since I was just a baby, imagine how many sets of tires I've bought from him over the years, not to mention all my family and friends! That's the kind of repoire you need in the hobby nowadays, the kind you just don't get walking into stores anymore!! I think that's what's missing in Rani's case!! Well, that, and a bunch of dumb asses that don't recognize a woman who knows her cars more than they do!!

Hmm.... Sounds like I'm gonna have to come visit you once I get other wheels for my truck, Geof... :D

Best guess is the difference in speed between the inside and outside tire must be within the tolerance. Might not even be enough that the computer notices.

I'm not arguing for the line of thought, only saying there is more to the systems now than just a mechanical means of taking up the slack. AWD/4WD might have always had differentials to absorb the differences, but the old cars didn't have a computer trying to work ABS and/or traction control. My only point is there is more to the new systems than just a differential that can (as in maybe, if the conditions are right) be effected with different sized tires. What those conditions are, is beyond the point I tried to make.
I have seen first hand a vehicle burn to the ground from mismatched tires. I don't know the exact differences in diametersome on the vehicle but it was a 1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee awd. The Jeep was in for service to fix a noise from the rear axle. The tech who worked on it replaced the rear axle under warranty. Customer lived outside of town and we were to deliver it on a Saturday morning. Long story short heat build up in the transfer case viscous coupling and eventually melted a nearby fuel line. Jeep burned to the ground. Investigation afterwards determined that mismatched tires were root cause.

Funny note. The driver picked up a melted door handle and brought it to the techs house Saturday morning to tell him this is all that is left of the Jeep you just did the axle on.
As far as mismatched tires causing a computer to burn up. Not possible unless it burns with the rest of the vehicle. It may set an abs code though. All that being said if you are installing a tire of the same brand and size as the ones you have on your vehicle and they are not worn excessively will most likely be ok.

My wife pulled a curb shot with our 2007 Dodge Caliber. When I looked at them right front tire I saw a gouge in their sidewall. I'm thinking "great, hear goes another $150.00 episode". I bought these tires from Pep Boys ( Hankook 100,000 mile warranty ) they are there only tires that have lasted past 20,000 miles (AWD Calibers are known for cupping tires, been doing that's since brand new. This is is the 4th set of tires add we only have 80,000 miles on it). Well I look and I see that the Gods must be smiling on me because I bought the road hazard protection on theses tires. Well I call the local Pep Boys store and, of course, they don't have the tire in stock but they can have it in 3 days. So the tire comes in and I take the car to Pep Boys to have it installed. They guy says it's going today be a couple of hours so we go to get something together eat. We were sitting there when the phone rings, this guy must think I'm a idiot. He proceeds today tell me that he can't replace only one tire because it could damage my differential and THEN, if that wasn't bad enough, they had today replace ALL FOUR TIRES BECAUSE IT'S ALL WHEEL DRIVE!!!! So I say to him "why the heck did you sell me the "road hazard protection then" ? Yeah I know but that's just the way it is. ARRRRGHHHHH. SO I tell him "ok I will go home, take the wheel off of the car and drive it back up today and you can put the tire on the rim". Then he starts with the scare tactics. "Ya know, if you put a tire on with more tread (the tires on it still have 3/4 of their team still on them) you will damage your differential and I don't want today be held responsible for that" . I say that's OK just put the tire on! OK, but you will have to sign a waiver saying we're not responsible. OK JUST PUT THE TIRE ON!!!!!!! Who is he trying today BS? I can see if I put a different size tire on that there could be a problem (like running the limited mileage spare for too long) but there is enough tolerance built into the differential too hand a tire with slightly more tread. Just another attempt today get more money out of you. So he finally put the tire on and the car has been fine for the last 6 months, no issues.

Last edited:
In a situation like that I call Goodyear. The store covers the road hazard on the one tire and Goodyear takes care of the warranty on the other three. It's all prorated by tread depth.

Same rules don't apply with Hankook tires. They have to be perfectly worn with no more than 1/32 difference across the face of the tires. Proof of wheel alignments and proof of tire rotations every 6-8000 miles.

Goodyear is by far the best company to stand behind there tires. If someone says different they either don't know the number to call or they are to lazy to do so.

Did I read that right , 80k and 4 sets of tires?
Yes you did. The first set of tire started cupping within 15,000 miles. I noticed the car sounding like it had super swamper tires on it. I looked at the tire and saw the cupping. I went to the dealer and they said that it wasn't the car, it was the tires and that I needed to go to Firestone. I went to Firestone and guess what they said? Of course they blamed the car. I got sick of going back and forth so I bought a set of Kuhmos from a friend of mine with connections and had it aligned at Firestone. 12,000 miles later and they are cupping again. I went back to the dealer and they said that it was because THEY didn't do the alignment. At this point I was getting angry. I had them put yet ANOTHER set of Kuhmos on and THEY aligned it. 12,000 miles and they are cupping again!!!! I call Dodge and got an idiot customer relations woman on the phone who asked how often I was rotating the tires. I told her that the DEALER was rotating the tires every 6000 miles (every other oil change) except for the last one I was over by 1000 mile because I took the car on a trip. She says that that was the problem, AWD cars had to be rotated every 3000 miles (I checked the manual and it said 6000 miles). Well I had had it with Dodge and the dealer so I went to Pep Boys and put the Hankook tires on. I didn't trust them to do the alignment so I went to Firestone and the guy there talked me into the "lifetime alignment". It was $100.00 more but if I even THINK that the alignment is off I take it to them (used it 4 times already as Calibers are rough on front end pieces. Also I had the front and rear cross members rot out on it. Dodge did take care of me on this one, they apparently had issues with them and on a very limited build date of cars they extended it to 10 years or 100,000 miles. I was 2 weeks away from 10 years (woo hoo) and the replaced both front and rear. The rear one was so bad that my differential was flopping back and forth when you hit the gas or brake. Anyway, that's my story LOL

Cupping is from out of balance or out of round tires. Alignment wears one edge or another. I will never get an alignment unless I see a problem. Spend the money and get good round tires to begin with. Generalizations, yes, but will keep you from wasting time and money. 96 Neon, 250,000 miles, never aligned, tires wear even. 67 Barracuda, 400,000 miles. Aligned every 200,000 when we rebuilt the front end. Same for all the rest of our vehicles. Rotate tires, nada, maybe once, front to back, about midway in the life of a tire.

That is really bizarre that Caliber tire issue. Not to mention expensive, when tire changes are almost as frequent as oil changes.

That is really bizarre that Caliber tire issue. Not to mention expensive, when tire changes are almost as frequent as oil changes.
Yeah I totally agree. These tires are the FIRST set that has ever lasted. I went through the original Firestones and two sets of Kumhos before getting these Hankooks. 36,000 miles and 4 years later they still have 3/4 of their tread on them.when I was having the cupping issue I did some checking and found that there were a LOT of Caliber owners with the same issues and Dodge wasn't doing anything about it.

Yeah I totally agree. These tires are the FIRST set that has ever lasted. I went through the original Firestones and two sets of Kumhos before getting these Hankooks. 36,000 miles and 4 years later they still have 3/4 of their tread on them.when I was having the cupping issue I did some checking and found that there were a LOT of Caliber owners with the same issues and Dodge wasn't doing anything about it.
I googled it, seems to be a popular problem.

-
Back