what is the problem with discount and some of these tire joints these days.

-

Princess Valiant

A.K.A. Rainy Day Auto
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
My 68 dart is daily driven, rain snow sleet or shine.

So the front tires are showing some wear and it's getting bad. I have a radio delete so I listen to the car very carefully and I know it very well.

Last night I could feel a bit of a shimmy and it's because they are getting really worn and I think one is starting to bulge. Not really a heart break because I have had these tires a long time now and they are getting worn within their time.

So I go to Discount tire.

"how can I help you" the guy says. I tell him I need a pair of front tires and I tell him the size I want and point to the car through the window.

He says, Ok, I will just go have a look at what size it has now. I say, it doesn't really matter because the size I am asking for is different because I don't like the size there and I want a slightly taller tire.

He says, well it's not really good practice to change the tire size because it can cause pre-mature suspension wear and throw off the speedometer.

I tell him, that is ok, I have a tin full of different speedometer gears if I need to change it to get it closer.

he says, can you hold on one moment. He goes and starts talking to another guy and they go outside to look at the car.

he comes back and says ....based on the condition of this car I would assume you drive it everyday...right? I say yes, I drive it anywhere and everywhere.

He says "miss, you should really consider driving a newer car, these old dinosaurs are just not safe or reliable"

So I say, " are you going to lecture me or sell me some tires??

He says, I can only sell you the same size that is there and they have to be put on the back.

I said " I don't want them on the back because those back tires are fine and where I want them."

he just stared and I said ok, that is fine and I just walked out.

Then I went to a local Mexican tire shop that sells new and used. I told the guy in there what size I want and that I want two NEW ones. He said " yes ma'am". I said I want them on the front. He said "yes Ma'am". He has me pick the ones I want from the rack and then says to help myself to coffee or a get a free complimentary soda while I wait.

twenty minutes later I was driving away with my brand new tires, balanced and all.

Is it really so freaking hard

Last edited:
I know........I KNOW!!.......LOL......"You are preachin to the choir" LOL

So am I correct. The new front tires are taller then the rear.
no, the back ones were the taller size so the rear would sit up a little and give a rake as they call it. Now all four are the same size and the front is a bit raised to look more super stocky

I would have asked him how changing the front tires on a RWD car can possibly change the speedometer reading just for fun. ;-)

Yep agreed! I give the locals a chance and then order online. And people wonder why online sales are so popular. I have bought from Tire Rack and Discount Tire Direct and have been very satisfied. I also just bought BFG's from Summit for my Swinger. A plus, I have a friend that has a tire machine and balancer that I can use any time I need.

Had a similar situation on a GM car last month. Went from Mag wheels to a stock 8" Rally wheel. The kid at Discount Tire refused to change them over not because they were worn but because they were more than 4 years old. Went down the street to Midas and they had no problem. Sure that came right out of the training manual.

they have "policies" so they don't get "sued" incase somebody has an accident and the insurance company blames the car's unstable condition due to improper tire size installed at the tire shop.

I agree, it shouldn't be hard and you should be able to get what ya want. But it only takes one law suit to change the world.... that's why McDonalds now tells you "the coffee is hot".

My solution is this: I remove the tire/rim at home, carry it in and then they mount any size tire I want.

no, the back ones were the taller size so the rear would sit up a little and give a rake as they call it. Now all four are the same size and the front is a bit raised to look more super stocky

Ok. I misunderstood what I thought I comprehended when I comperehended what I though I read. Thanks for clearing that up.

problem is people with no common sense, no mechanical knowledge etc. I recently went to buy 2 tires for my Duster and asked for made in USA. 1st place the guy lied to me, got thrown out of 2nd place, finally got a good guy at the 3rd place-and I only drop off my wheels only-not the car! got Kelly Edge tires

I took mine to discount tire. The one I carried in was a bias ply tire. About the best I could get out of the manager was they don't make those anymore. I told him I was aware of that but would like a radial tire, and gave him the specific tire size. He said the radial wouldn't fit my 14 inch wheel and he would have to order me the proper wheel for my 65 Barracuda.
Educated people totally gripe me

If, and I say again IF I let anyone have ANYTHING to do with my car they better do exactly as I ask or I'm gone.

By all legality and responsibility in case of a failure he should have suggested you put bias ply tires on it.
How would he know, it may or may not have been aligned for radials? :D

Just another tire monkey showing his ignorance.

All is not lost. You did find a good tire store that treated you right.
The tire plus store near me is decent. My cars don't go there, I throw the rims in the truck and tell them to mount and balance what I want.

that's funny because the discount tire I now go to is the ONLY tire place out of the 6 I'm surrounded by that will do exactly what I tell them too and haven't bitched up my wheels or torn up my tires. and for future reference, it's much less of a headache and cheaper to buy the tires on line and the take them off the car to have them dismounted/ mounted

I would have asked him how changing the front tires on a RWD car can possibly change the speedometer reading just for fun. ;-)

I'd bet that was exactly the issue. He couldn't figure out that it was RWD and it was against the "rules" to change the drive tires to something other than what it has. That's why he said they had to go on the back, so it didn't effect the drive axle of the car.

I'd even be willing to bet the tires on the car aren't even the same size that came on the car to begin with.

Too many people unable to think for themselves. "I am told to do it this way, and unequipped to deal with anything outside of those instructions".

Have never had nothing but good luck with Discount....Les Schwab on the other hand...and will NEVER step foot in a Big O store again...

One time I had a '99 4wd Durango and the mechanic told me I need my rack and pinion replaced to align my tires right. I told him "that's funny, means I don't have rack and pinion". He said, "yes you do, I just looked at it, inspected it, and it's bad". I said, nope, 1999 4wd Durango's don't have it. An older mechanic said "is the Durango a 4x4?" I said "yep". He told the younger guy "it don't have rack n pinion". I said get it off the rack, and I left......

went through this just a couple weeks ago....solution buy off the internet. The local nationwide distributors due to liability will not sell or mount a tire that is not the stock stated size from the car maker. Further, they will not sell out the door as they make a killing in mount balance and road hazard and state they cannot warrant a tire they do not mount.....price their standard valve stems...not the low tire sensors, just standard...they raping ya...I mount and balance my own tires...so if I cannot get them out the door....I walk..trust me, it is easier this way. The original poster was lucky to find a shop that still believes in customer service. They are getting fewer and fewer...

If, and I say again IF I let anyone have ANYTHING to do with my car they better do exactly as I ask or I'm gone.

By all legality and responsibility in case of a failure he should have suggested you put bias ply tires on it.
How would he know, it may or may not have been aligned for radials? :D

Just another tire monkey showing his ignorance.

I didn't have the car with me. Only 2 14 inch wheels

Everything is just going down the toilet.

Add to that they all think they should get a raise to 15 an hour. :rofl:

I'd tell them they're all lucky to have a job and they should act like it, and I have told people exactly this "If you hate your job so much you can't act decent to a customer I can remedy that for you."

And when people try to tell me the reason I feel that way about it is because I'm getting old and grouchy I know it's total BS.
I feel that way because that's the way working for someone else used to be.

I didn't think it was their job to lecture people on what cars are safe or not and what you should be driving.

I am going to drive my dart till I am dead and then they can bury me in it

I didn't think it was their job to lecture people on what cars are safe or not and what you should be driving.

I am going to drive my dart till I am dead and then they can bury me in it
No, you'll drive a Yirus and like it. The Libs know what's best and are looking out for you :D

-
Back