What is this on the firewall? Demons and Dusters

-

danbobracer

Reaction score
What is this on the firewall? I’ve seen it in picture of 71 and 72 demons. What is it and what determines if a car has it? I’m assuming it is emissions related. Thanks in advance.

6E805F6C-F6C6-4380-A1B8-32796A45A916.jpeg

I have it on my 71 Demon. Option code is N95 I think.
928E5720-7831-4063-975D-A36C3B2AB17F.jpeg

I’ve owned over 10 @ 1972 cars with every engine and never saw that here in New England. Maybe California emissions stuff? Air cleaner heat flapper valve controller? Just guessing.

I'm not sure how to link to an old post but I found this when I searched on the interwebs...it is actually an fabo post. EDIT: I did a little search and believe it to be a NOX valve which apparently was a CA requirement.
upload_2022-8-19_7-11-28.png

Last edited:
Yes, that's what i was told. It's for California Emissions. Don't ask me how or where, haven't got that far yet.

I had (wish I still had) a 71 Challenger 318 car sold new in California, and it had that crap on it. The car had the N95 code. It all ended up in the trash when I redid the engine compartment.

That is indeed emissions.

All of this is detailed in the factory service manuals which you can download--up through 73 --for free from MyMopar. Some of them there got there because of the guys on here. For those needing a 74 manual, PM me. It's free

Maybe, just maybe, if you could take another photo, but this time like 50 yards away.

OSAC valve would be there 74+. In 73 they had the hole cut but it had a block off plate. Im not sure what would have been there pre-73 but it would likely be CA only with emission package.

It's a hole plug for a wide-band O2 sensor and EFI wire harnesses.

My 71 Nova had a module on it to retard the timing in high gear for emissions. I think the OSAC does the same

-
Back