What is this Worth PLEASE

-

rscottick

70 duster
Reaction score
74 block .030 over h116cp flat top pistons stock rods. stock crank reground. Decked block with pistons .010 in the hole. comp xe274h can and lifters. 500 miles on build never spun past 5900.rods reconditioned crank .010 under. all new bearings. motor has oil pan timing cover new aluminum water pump new alternator and pulleys. Has balancer and B & M flexplate. Still all together. Local guy is holding firm on $1400 Im at $1200. What should I do?

I could go either way, depending on documentation.
WITH- you can't build it for that!
WITHOUT- core mystery motor.

* Then there is the "never spun past 5900"....except once, now it's for sale.
;-)
If in doubt , meet him halfway, or pay his price, but pick it up at his home, so you know where he lives.

Last edited:
I GUESS this is a 360 since that's a 360 piston number. I think it's worth ten bucks without pictures.

Give him $800 and pull it apart (you WERE going to pull it apart to check, right? )

You find as advertised, pay him the rest. You find otherwise, keep it. Just because the parts are in there doesn't mean a bore ain't cracked, half the rod caps are backward, a skirt isn't scuffed or broken, a standard piston in a oversize bore, etc....

If he doesn't like your proposal, remember that deals are like buses: another will be along shortly

Can you build one for less?
Doe’s this guy’s word carry any weight?
Who did the machine work and/or built it for him? How is his rep?

If I had machined and/or assembled that engine for him, I would not warranty the engine for you.

74 block .030 over h116cp flat top pistons stock rods. stock crank reground. Decked block with pistons .010 in the hole. comp xe274h can and lifters. 500 miles on build never spun past 5900.rods reconditioned crank .010 under. all new bearings. motor has oil pan timing cover new aluminum water pump new alternator and pulleys. Has balancer and B & M flexplate. Still all together. Local guy is holding firm on $1400 Im at $1200. What should I do?
sorry 360

;-)
If in doubt , meet him halfway, or pay his price, but pick it up at his home, so you know where he lives.
great point on the now its for sale. He did try to sell entire engine complete with eddy heads in the ad he says now going a different combination. ran 12.87 at 106 he says

It's a core mystery motor either way......unless it's running and you can its vitals.

great point on the now its for sale. He did try to sell entire engine complete with eddy heads in the ad he says now going a different combination. ran 12.87 at 106 he says

360.jpg

3601.jpg

3602.jpg

3603.jpg

3604.jpg

3605.jpg

If it's a shortblock, it's only a few bolts away from the truth. Pull the pan and caps. Break out a micrometer.

Last edited:

;-)
only documentation he has is the balance sheet. claims he fell in love with the track and did a genIII hemi swap before he ever had a chance to do anymore driving or track time. what yall think? worth the $1400

That one bore looks ROUGH. Is that somebody's idea of proper cross hatch?

...say used eddys worth a grand, rest a good 360 core worth 200 or 400 to you?? id pull it down and re hone cylinders if thay mic good nuff not to bore, at .040 over ant much left to bore...so figure that into it all or use as a way to jew him down to 1200! jmo tho'

...say used eddys worth a grand, rest a good 360 core worth 200 or 400 to you?? id pull it down and re hone cylinders if thay mic good nuff not to bore, at .040 over ant much left to bore...so figure that into it all or use as a way to jew him down to 1200! jmo tho'
it would be $1200 without the eddy heads

If you can't hear it run and you pay more than what you would pay for a rebuildable core, you're betting whatever the difference is on the seller's knowledge and honesty. Could be honest and mechanical as a rubber duck, could be a mechanical genius and a liar. In either of those scenarios you could get totally boned, and there's still everything in between.

Only way I'd buy a non-running engine for that kind of cash is if I knew the guy and the engine. Even knowing the builder doesn't mean all that much, just because it left that shop in good condition doesn't mean it still works. Could have been a great engine that spun a bearing on that one pass he took. If you can't listen to it run, you've got no idea unless you tear it completely down. I wouldn't pay more than $200 for the core, $1k is still a lot to risk if you don't personally know (and trust) the seller.

Heck for $1,400 you're not really all that far off from building that shortblock yourself.

Its like buying a used tire.
Worse. If block was stripped to pieces and it could be all measured then maybe. But not for that much money.

A high end remote starter installed for 800 dollars is worth nothing once it has been pulled out of a vehicle.
Core value unless its running.

That one bore looks ROUGH. Is that somebody's idea of proper cross hatch?

Bet it smokes and has a lot of blow by.
Do you think those dark areas on the wall show out of round cylinders?
I do have to say that it looks like a quick touch up and ring job to me.

Also who does a hack job on a cylinder hone, and still leave carbon on top of the piston?

Thanks for all the replies guys. I was thinking same about the way the tops of the pistons look with only 500 or less miles. Doesn’t seem right

Its your cash, maybe the guys carb was just jacked.
But to me it looks like somebody built a decent engine one time.
It got tired, and just thru a garage rebuild in it.
It actually may still run decent.

I bought a rebuilt 340 one time, the guy was sandblasting his car, there was sand dust in the engine when I tore it down, every port was taped over, but somehow it managed to get in there.
This engine was in a separate, but connected garage.
After a good cleaning it is still a good motor, but unless you build it, you will never know.

-
Back