What is this?

-

JGC403

Reaction score
Tried using the search, but I don't know what it is called. So that didn't work. Looked at the cars wiring diagram and still couldn't figure it out. Its a rally dash out of a '68 Barracuda. The part in question is this little canister in-between the Printed Circuit Board for all of the gauges and the heater controller. Above the switch for the wipers.

Pics would help big time here. if it has 1 wire going in and another going out, it'd be a resistor. thats my best guess without a pic

If it is in the vacuum line, it's probably a check valve.

It has one wire going in and the strap that is screwed to the case is probably ground.
1968Barracudaproject059.jpg

That's a radio noise capacitor (condenser) and the wire end would have been connected to the voltage supply side of the nearest gauge stud that it will reach. It helps prevent noise from the gauge voltage regulator/ limiter.

In the picture below, (different model) the cap is connected directly to the voltage limiter. In this picture, relating to yours, the wire would probably connect to the equivalent of one of the two studs where the arrows point to "gauges"

7.jpg

KIDDING Should KIDDING look KIDDING like KIDDING this KIDDING when KIDDING done KIDDING

cable-mess.png

As 67Dart273 has mentioned that`s a noise suppressor. It should connect to the 12 volt connector of your fuel gauge.

It will work just fine. Nuthin wrong with old technology in this case.

I don`t have that suppressor nor the one located on the coil on my car and I`ve had no problems.

Resistor plugs and supression wires ain't always been around either.

Your fuel gauge should have a plasic cap on one of its studs to prevent placing the connector on it. That connector does belong on the 12 volt supply to the mechanical limiter which is inside the fuel gauge.
Please keep in mind that a chassis ground is required. Nothing about the instrument panel will work properly while dangling from its harness connectors. Screws in the panel to the dash provide chassis ground but adding a dedicated ground wire is recommended. Happy moparing

-
Back