what is this?

-

DartVadar

Reaction score
I took off my rear drums on my 73 dart and when I took off the drum this piece fell out, I see where it goes but dont know what its for, and don't know what it is so I can get a new one. My dart has factory front disc brakes.

Can I raid this part off of earlier model car? like the 68 cuda sitting at my grandpas place?

Attachments

• photo (6).jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 248
It's the cable that adjusts the brakes, it pulls on the bar that rests on the star wheel.

For that cable to be the same on all models would make life too easy.

I took off my rear drums on my 73 dart and when I took off the drum this piece fell out, I see where it goes but dont know what its for, and don't know what it is so I can get a new one. My dart has factory front disc brakes.

Can I raid this part off of earlier model car? like the 68 cuda sitting at my grandpas place?

That piece comes in the hardware kit for the rear brakes. Yours should be 10" diameter.

For that cable to be the same on all models would make life too easy.

I think that it is the same for the same diameter brakes, but it has to be different lengths for the different diameter brakes.

X2 It is the brake adjuster cable. You could get one of another car, but it would have to have the same size brakes for it to work. Although you can get a new one for about $1.00. It may be called a drum brake adjuster cable, and you still need to know your brake size.

Okay thanks, yea I think I'll just get a new one.

And on another note I was replacing the wheel studs in the rear and found that the studs that I have are the wrong size, well the knurl at least. What is the knurl size for the rear? It seems like the studs that came out had a 0.668 or so, but ARP has the rear knurl 0.680, and that seems too big.

I don't know that cable could stretch far enough to render it inop'.
In cases where the adjuster is inop' the adjust paw will wear the cogs off the adjuster.
A much more common fault ( other than simply put together wrong ) is the tiny little neck on the cable guide that is held in a hole by a return spring. That little neck needs to be present and properly installed or the cable will appear too long and adjust paw will not function properly.
Just another example of a small detail having a large effect.

I'll stick my neck out and suggest it isn't just all 10" drum Mopar cars, but any (U.S.) car w/ basic Bendix brake floating shoe 10" drum design. Yours is the improved self-adjuster, which I put in my 60's cars. The "hardware kit" is a bit more specific because the "shoe pins" must be the correct length for your shoe width. Otherwise, I don't know that those vary between Mopar, Ford, or GM. Someone who worked in a brake shop should know and maybe chime in on Jap and Euro cars.

-
Back