What it's worth?

-

toolmanmike

Staff member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I am going to look at a 70 Dart next week. I remember the car from a few years back and it was nice then. I would rate it a 9 on a 1-10 scale back then. It is a 318, column shift auto,
8 3/4 open rear. B5 blue/ blue interior, bench seat, hood scoops, Rally wheels. I don't know if it's a Swinger or if it has a rump stripe. It was built may be 5 years ago by a customer of mine that has built a couple show winners. Like I mentioned, it was real nice a couple years ago when I saw it last. I asked about price and he joked that he might need $15,000 to finish his Notchback convertible. We both chuckled at that! I don't know how serious he was about that price. I have been looking around and 70 Dart sellers have been asking anywhere from $4000- $30,000. What's it worth? Here's a picture of what the car should look like. (not the car in question) tmm I forgot to tell you it has 50,000 miles on it and has Mopar dealer installed AC.

Attachments

• 29739960002_large.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 528
Pics of the actual car would be better...but it depends how bad you want it, if the deal feels good, go for it bud....70 Swingers are cool cars :glasses7:

BUT...I also remember you wanting a 65 Coronet real bad.....have you changed your mind what cars you like? Or are you like me and like them all LMAO :glasses7:

Pics of the actual car would be better...but it depends how bad you want it, if the deal feels good, go for it bud....70 Swingers are cool cars :glasses7:

BUT...I also remember you wanting a 65 Coronet real bad.....have you changed your mind what cars you like? Or are you like me and like them all LMAO :glasses7:

Yep' I Want one of each. LOL

I have a 70 Swinger 340...up in the air if I wanna sell at this time, its a great project but good clean start and I have a TON of parts.....not sure but if I DO sell, it belongs in a FABO's members driveway.....:glasses7:

Click on my "photos by member" to see it

I have a 70 Swinger 340...up in the air if I wanna sell at this time, its a great project but good clean start and I have a TON of parts.....not sure but if I DO sell, it belongs in a FABO's members driveway.....:glasses7:

Click on my "photos by member" to see it

I'll look Keith. I have decided I need a finished car to drive and enjoy. If I can find cheap storage I would like to keep the Dart too. I might have time to take it apart for paint when I retire in a few years. LOL

I'll look Keith. I have decided I need a finished car to drive and enjoy. If I can find cheap storage I would like to keep the Dart too. I might have time to take it apart for paint when I retire in a few years. LOL

you ain't THAT old yet LOL :D

If you're the buyer, show the NADA pricing, not the Hagerty/Hemmings pricing, which is for the owner/insurer and will thus make them feel better about their 'investment' (allowing them to charge more to insure your treasure).

Just like if you get jewelry appraised, they'll shoot you a price that's a lot more (2x) than what you can get for it.

Show the seller the NADA pricing and ask him how much he thinks the car is worth? Gives you a good starting point for the negotiation. Let him come back with Hagerty/Hemmings, and then tell him why that's high.

Hard to say at this end Mike, 9k maybe if it was here in Arkansas

I would jump if I could get it for around $10 Mike.

yes Hagerty wants to insure my cars for 2-3 times what they would sell for!!! LOL
my take on value is: real world market value is established by what cars sell for if properly exposed to the possible buyers. most sales are private so info is word of mouth. what a car sells for at auction, I put NO credence on that. just me...
so, I figure you just use the "seat of your pants" approach. you appraise its quality and good points, ( 318 or 340), etc. figure what it cost you to get a car to that point, what is it worth to you to buy a "done" car, what you consider fair, and hopefully the sellers agrees with what is fair!
in the scheme of things, $10,000 is probably a realistic value, IMO ( which is worth squat!).. LOL
now the guy that spent $7000 on body/paint work might laugh, but then he most likely put more in his car than he would EVER get back out!!!

original paint?

if not original paint what was done body work wise?

floors, frame etc.. any repair work there?

tons of questions without seeing the actual car.

no way to guess without seeing pics of the ACTUALL car, and like abodyjoe said, what was done during the rebuild? The dealer add on air to me is a negative, and its a 318 2barrel car, its not a numbers matching 340 car....... BIG difference in price.

I think in terms of what I could sell it if I had to. There's just not much interest in a 318 Dart unless it's an authentic car in original condition ("survivor"). For $12,000 there's just a ton of really great cars to consider.

original paint?

The car was purchased from a estate and only has 50,000 miles on it. It was originally a B3 blue car. I don't know for sure but I'll bet the body was pretty good before the repaint.

tons of questions without seeing the actual car.[/QUOTE

no way to guess without seeing pics of the ACTUALL car, and like abodyjoe said, what was done during the rebuild? The dealer add on air to me is a negative, and its a 318 2barrel car, its not a numbers matching 340 car....... BIG difference in price.
The Ac is a plus for me. It's a Mopar unit so it uses factory parts. It has the long narrow under dash vents.

original paint?

The car was purchased from a estate and only has 50,000 miles on it. It was originally a B3 blue car. I don't know for sure but I'll bet the body was pretty good before the repaint.

tons of questions without seeing the actual car.[/QUOTE

The Ac is a plus for me. It's a Mopar unit so it uses factory parts. It has the long narrow under dash vents.

Interesting......what did they do about the non-a/c firewall and heater box?

My bad. It has 30,000 miles. Very nice. VERY NICE! The dealer installed AC hoses enter through the firewall under the blower motor to the under dash unit. It uses a non-AC cowl but has factory compressor, brackets and crimped hoses. I saw the original sales order with the add-on AC listed. B5, B5 interior, black vinyl top in excellent shape with a black rump stripe, rally wheels,hood scoops. Original drive train, trunk mat, interior, weatherstripping,chrome and bumpers. The only downfall is seller is pretty stuck on $15 though.

Attachments

• 080.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 249
  • 079.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 254
  • 076 (2).jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 247
  • 074 (2).jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 245
  • 073 (2).jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 247
  • 072 (2).jpg
    26 KB · Views: 241
  • 071 (2).jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 240
  • 070 (2).jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 248
  • 069 (2).jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 240
  • 068 (2).jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 243
Here's a couple more. Poor pics. No lights in the garage so we had to open the door. It was raining outside so he didn't' t back it out. Dang, that price might be a stopper for me. Very nice car and you couldn't build one as nice for the price.

Attachments

• 078.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 240
  • 081.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 237
-
Back