What kind of beer do you use in Beer brats?

-

myasylum

Reaction score
Maybe this is just a Wisconsin thing? I don't know??

But, my wife ask me to make beer brats, which really surprised me because she hates beer. So then she ask me what kind of beer to get, so I said... Pabst! Thinking about it, rather than spend $$$ on good German beer, why not get something cheaper? So I thought of my dad, and my uncles, they always used Pabst, so why not continue the tradition? :) They also used Blatz as well, so I think I chose wisely!
It did get me thinkin' though... What beer do you guys use?

I'm not from the midwest so I don't know about brat's but I've boiled hot dogs as well as shrimp in beer and I never used anything expensive. And they always tasted good.

We're kinda in the same boat as neither my wife or I drink. But we love beer-battered fish and chips and beer-battered onion rings.
My wife makes some killer fish and onion rings using Miller Genuine Draft in the batter. Sad thing is (for you beer drinkers) we only use half a can in the batter - the rest goes down the drain.
I do get some strange looks when I go to the liquor store and just by one can of beer. More funny looks when I get in my truck to drive home with the 'plain brown wrapper'!

The stuff you don't drink....It won't make much difference. The beer I really don't like but my Mother in Law (imagine that) drinks Bud Light....What she leaves behind becomes my beer brat or grill putter outer beer.

Don't forget a sliced up onion in there...Awesome...Now I am hungry. I think that might be on the menu tonight.

I use the stuff I brew myself.

"The beer I drink, is the beer I brew" !

I like to boil them just beer, onions and brats until they are fully par boiled. I put them on the grill full hot and char them good both sides....let them sit a bit and a little more raw onion with a good dark mustard....perfect!

I've never made them myself, but my best friend (who grew up in Ohio) has made them plenty of times, and he has used Schlitz (favorite of us both), Pabst, Miller High Life, and Old Milwaukee that I remember- they all taste great.

Using Bud Light for anything besides putting out grass fires is just criminal.
icon12.gif

the secret is to let the beer sit out on the counter for 3 days, let it ferment i guess you could say . soak the brats overnight in the beer wth onions. Skim the top of the beer off put brats in it and let them soak overnight . WISCONSIN=OLDSTYLE also works great for fish fry

Don't forget Sauerkraut!

It's a German thing. Milwaukee is heavily German populated, Polish as well. I have now idea why?

At any rate sauerkraut is great with brats! (What a weird name, huh? "BRAT")

I usually use Budweiser or as everyone else said, whatever is cheap. Dang, I just ate 2 burgers but a brat sure sounds good!

Wow! Everyone has different recipes and techniques. Here in the lower Midwest, we brown the brats good, then put them in a pan with beer and onion in it. It keeps the brats hot and doesn't let them dry out. You can do them in advance of your guests, and they're ready when you are.

Anyone who wants to get rid of that crappy Bud Light, I'll take it off your hands!!

Don't forget Sauerkraut!

It's a German thing. Milwaukee is heavily German populated, Polish as well. I have now idea why?

At any rate sauerkraut is great with brats! (What a weird name, huh? "BRAT")

You betcha! :)

My family on my Fathers side is all German and Austrian and all immigrated to Wisconsin in the 1870's and 1880's.

Old Style or Old Milwaukee work great for cooking whether it be a Friday night fish fry in beer batter or for beer brats. Like michformulaS, I boil the brats thouroughly in beer then char them on the grill and slather them in mustard and chopped raw onion. MMmmmmm..... =P~=P~=P~

And don't forget if you are really from Wisconsin we Drink the beer after we are done boiling the brats. :)

-
Back