what kind of oil

-

jimjimjimmy

lobsterman
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
hi just looking to see what kind of engine oil u guys run. i run shell 15w-40 rotella in my 416 stroker. the previous owner ran nappa 10w-50 raceing oil but i cant seem to get it here. nappa tells me there is no such thing but i know know there. is my oil pressure is sbout 5 psi lower with the 15w-40.i use shell rotella in my boat a671 detroit with 22 thousand hours on it only ever replaced 2 goveners so it must be fairley good

Rotella 15w/40,or Delo 15w/40,whatevers on sale.Add a pint of Lucas break in lube for safety's sake.

Presently I have 5w/40 Rotella in the 340 and 5w/40 Shaeffers in the 440.

this stuff and the price is cheapest i ever seen it

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Valvoline-VV851-Racing-STREET-Bottles/dp/B000GAP42I/ref=sr_1_3?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1315782760&sr=1-3"]Amazon.com: Valvoline VV851 Racing 20W50 NOT STREET LEGAL Motor Oil, Pack of Six 1 Quart Bottles: Automotive[/ame]

You are correct,sir.My flat tappet 408 died.Someone gave me a 5.9 magnum.Just broke in the cam last week.For the first few oil changes,I will use lucas cam break in lube till everything makes me feel safe.

Mobil 1 full SYN 5W-30 in the 340 (Zinc is not an issue with my cam because mines a Roller).

quaker state 10-40 with a Fram filter...solid lifters...no problems..

10w-30 Brad Penn in both my cars. Instead of Lucas stuff I run Comp Cams cam additive in my flat tappet 340.

I use Amsoil in everything. Race car in particular has Dominator 5w-20.

http://www.amsoil.com/techservicesbulletin/motoroil/tsb mo-2007-08-08 flat tappet.pdf

You have to do some research to find oil that still has a decent amount of zinc in it. The industry has been reducing it in most of their oils, including diesels. Zinc & phosprous is not good for catalytic converters. It's getting to the point where the oil label needs to say "high zinc" in order to be sure.

For race engine break-in, I use a conventional oil and may add the Comp Cams stuff. Then it's Amsoil only from the above list.

Amsoil source & additional info:
www.thelubepage.com

I went with edelbrock full syncetick10-40 with zink because i didnt like the way the pressure drop d to just under 10 psi per 1k rpms in hot weather. now it stays over 10. got the oil at sumit

5-40 Total synthetic with a bottle of zddp plus So far no problems , 10,000 miles and oil pressure is good 35 at idle 60+ on the road , don't burn any oil between changes at 5,000 miles. Use k+n or mobile 1 filter

Z ALT 20-50 I have had no issues the past year.My oil pressure has increased a little as well. It is a little more expensive,but $50.00 a year is worth it to me!

5-40 Total synthetic with a bottle of zddp plus So far no problems , 10,000 miles and oil pressure is good 35 at idle 60+ on the road , don't burn any oil between changes at 5,000 miles. Use k+n or mobile 1 filter

A little bit of oil burnt in 5,000 miles is OK, that is normal if the engine is being driven hard. Helps keep the rings sealed. I'm talking no more than 1 quart in 5,000 miles. A tiny amount past the guilds helps keep the valves from sticking and cools the exhaust valve

This is why the zinc got reduced, over 100,000 miles enough oil will be burnt and ruin the cats.

A little bit of oil burnt in 5,000 miles is OK, that is normal if the engine is being driven hard. Helps keep the rings sealed. I'm talking no more than 1 quart in 5,000 miles. A tiny amount past the guilds helps keep the valves from sticking and cools the exhaust valve

This is why the zinc got reduced, over 100,000 miles enough oil will be burnt and ruin the cats.

Is there a problem ? none of my cars burn any oil between changes , at leat nothing noticeable , at 5000 miles still on the full line , my pathfinder goes 10,00 miles between changes and same thing , both are at or close to full line . M old Tbird S/C were the same ad they went over 450,000 km .
With non sythetic they burn 1/8 -1/4 quart , but change at 2500 miles , only use reg oil for first 10,000 miles .

-
Back