what kind of power is a 23 spline 833 good for?

-

swinger340

Reaction score
Putting a stroker together for my swinger. It is a factory 833 4 gear car. Trying to decide on dumping the stroker in it with the 833 or go w a built auto. Mildish stroker around 500/500 is the goal. Got a 428 HP 340 in it now but tq is only 405. I'm curious if 100 more ft lbs of tq will break stuff.

well we run a 23 behind a ~625-650hp 472 Race Hemi but the owner isn't going to race it, didn't even to the track pack option so it will be fine. If you plan on running the gears hard or taking it to the track i would just go the 18 for insurance.

Attachments

• DSCN1371.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 345
My brother had a 23 spline in his 67 barracuda with a 600 horse 426 max wedge, with 513 gears and he beat the **** out of it and never had one problem

They are pretty frikkin stout. It'll take what you are gonna throw through it with no sweat.

Put in a SFI flywheel an good clutch in it.
The only 833 I ever broke was from a flyweel / clutch explosion.
Snapped the input shaft off and broke an ear off the case.
Ironically the input shaft splines were not damaged, it is my clutch alignment tool now.

Slightly twisted the imput shaft, running behind a Hemi,, 2 yrs racing,.. still running that " twisted" trans behind a 340 now...

Buddy of mine is running a 498 hp 505 tq shady dell 408 in his duster w a center force df clutch. He launches it at 3500 and hasn't had tranny problems yet after 3 yrs. I'll prob only hit the track once or twice a yr at the Mopar fests. He has snapped axles and broken pinions off of his 489/742 cases w 4:56 gears and 29" M/T street radials. I "plan" on driving easier than he does. Was going to go auto for better 60" and consistency, but its mostly a street car and I like 4 gears. I'm running less gear and less tire so I'm thinking I'll be OK. Got couple spare trannys so I think I'll go for it. What the hell, why not? 255/60/15s and 3:91s already upgraded to Moser axles years ago. I'm thinking 3rd member will break before the tranny.

You won't hurt it. We stuck a 23 spline behind a '70 426 car that was missing the 18 spline. Hooks on slicks, it does great.

Wayne Brewer told me when he rebuilt my 23 spline that there wasn't much difference in strength between the two "stock".

-
Back