What kind of Sure Grip to by. 8.25 rear end.

-

henrikolsson

Reaction score
I am going to put a surgrip and 3:55 or 3:91 gears in my Duster. When i started to search the e-bay for a unit i noted that ther is two kinds. One with visible springs and one thats got only gears in it. Witch one to prefere?
//Henrik

Google dr. Diff, tell him what you have and what direction you're going with it. Keep the 8.25, plenty strong enough for a mild small block if that is what is already installed in the car, saves the trouble of finding an 8.75 and having it shipped to your country unless you can find one locally

I'am going to keep my 8.25 for now. I just want to know if there is some diffrence between the two options. Does it make a diffrence in car behavior, maintenece, durabillity or something.

//Henrik

Agree the 8.25 is plenty strong for a street driver and will handle 350 hp in a light car.
I will need to do a search (or you can) on the shure grip units, I do know one of the two can be re-built if needed and the other can't be..

Agree the 8.25 is plenty strong for a street driver and will handle 350 hp in a light car.
I will need to do a search (or you can) on the shure grip units, I do know one of the two can be re-built if needed and the other can't be..

Wrong info, you can rebuild any sure grip.

Does not cost much to fix either one.

Wrong info, you can rebuild any sure grip.

Does not cost much to fix either one.

I respectfully disagree. Cone type sure grips are not rebuildable. To rebuild something basically means your making it new (or close) to new again. If the cones aren't worn down to stubs and/or the case isn't all wollered out you can chuck the cones up in a lathe and cut some of the end off so they don't bottom out and they'll work for a while again. There is no process whereby you can resurface the cones or the case to make them like new again. I have seen several of them that were IMO junk. You could have cut the cones down so they'd grip for a few thousand miles again, if you didn't run them too hard, but that's it. No where even close to what I consider "rebuilt". Only clutch types are truly rebuildable

I respectfully disagree. Cone type sure grips are not rebuildable. To rebuild something basically means your making it new (or close) to new again. If the cones aren't worn down to stubs and/or the case isn't all wollered out you can chuck the cones up in a lathe and cut some of the end off so they don't bottom out and they'll work for a while again. There is no process whereby you can resurface the cones or the case to make them like new again. I have seen several of them that were IMO junk. You could have cut the cones down so they'd grip for a few thousand miles again, if you didn't run them too hard, but that's it. No where even close to what I consider "rebuilt". Only clutch types are truly rebuildable

I respectfully agree and disagree.
I normally can get an extra 10 yrs+ out of shimming a cone style on a street car.
If it stops "hitting hard" just trim and shim.
It cost me nothing my uncle has a lathe and a mill in his garage.
A rebuilt clutch style is truly "rebuilt" and will last longer.

Your 8.25 is a 27 spline if original, oem sure grip is clutch style. 300.00 at doctordiff.com
Auburn's are cone style and cost more. Ringpinion.com currently offers the same clutch style (tracloc) for 464.55 Go with doctordiff.com

The 8-1/4 will handle a good bit more than 350 HP.
Upgrading to a 8-3/4 and then built to handle whT the 8-1/4 can is a waste of money and time, but mostly money.

Ok, what about bying a used one with gears. Is that wasted effort for sure or how often do they give up? Those are not that expensive used...

One with visible springs and one thats got only gears in it. Witch one to prefere?

Is the question here the difference between open and suregrip? Looking at a open carrier doesn't it have visible springs, where a suregrip is encased?

No, i know the diffrence between an open unit and a suregrip. But i want to know the diffrence between the spicer, track lock one with only visibel gears and the other one that i dont know the name on, that got springs in the opening.

Exploded View - Inside the Eaton TrueTrac Differe…: [ame]http://youtu.be/lZmsY2YvVsc[/ame]
the sure grip has spring loaded cluches to engage the side gears. The truetrac is black magic and voodoo that works. Watch the video on youtube. AbodyJoe nailed it. Pricey, but likely the last diff you'll buy.

-
Back