what makes a car a "SURVIVER" ?

-

340plot

the bushy bush
Reaction score
I JUST PICJKED UP A 1972 PLYMOUTH DUSTER THAT IS IN AWESOME SHAPE FOR THE YEAr. A FEW SMALL RUST SPOTS, BUT I DO NOT THINK THE car was ever touched besides for the stripe kit . i say that because the car is a 340, but the transverse stripe is not on the car, and the fender tag says that it should be.
it is a numbers matching, with the engine and trans out of the car. but the engine looks as though it has never been touched. still reatains all the factory correct for that year. so i assume. i do not know if the 72 duster came with a carter afb carb?.

also, the engine build date looks to be either 8/29/71 or 9/29/71, would that make this a high compression engine or no. is it juast the emmission special for 72 yyear?lol

i cannot see that the car was ever repainted at all, and the interior is all original, except the previous owner ripped the carpet out., and the headliner is not the greatest, but presentable. the seats are in mint condition, and have not been recovered.

one last thing, how would i know if it had the sharktooth grille from the factory? as it has a almost mint grille. also, the stripe at the back of the car has a looks like a whirlwind, as it is a twister stripe kit. did the 72 come in a twister??????????????

so, i am wondering at what level is a car considered a surviver. if the pinstripe has been replaced, is it still a surviver? how bout the carpet???????????????? any input would be great guys/gals

so, tommorow, i will be posting pics of my new toy, and sharing with you fine fellas.

I'm not sure, but I think the car has to be 90-95 percent untouched original, ie, paint, interior,engine and so on, run you fender tag and you will find out what the car came with, and yes post pics.

Nice find. So you're going to make us wait until tomorrow for pictures? Come on Man we need our early morning **** here, it helps get the day going. So you were up at 12:45AM and it's now 8:46AM = 8 hours sleep, let's allow you an hour to get it together.

We expect to see pictures by 10:00AM . . .

Good luck with the find. Give more details along with the pictures.

really -- we should flog these guys for the temptations without pics!!!

Cool Find-- enjoy it regardless of it's survivorship!!
Lawrence

Our car is a survivor.all original..no rust ..but has the wrong year centers for the rally rims..

Different radio..one with a cassette deck however, mounted under dash and the as is still there.

Build sheet( matching numbers), 34K miles, original paint and stripes, Bias ply spare (which I used this summer) jack all there..

Not for much longer.

Grassy

866721787_LqnKY-XL.jpg

well from what you described it sounds like a cool car that survived but not a "survivor".

I agree................

I just sold this survivor....24,000 org. miles, no rust, all original paint, super nice.....

Attachments

• 100_2265.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 331
  • 100_2269.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 340
well, i felt like a kid in a candy store last night, so i spendt a few hours outside, checking to make sure i got EVERYTHING to put the car back together................

now after inspecting the car this morning, i will have to agree, that it has definatly survived, but would not fall under a surviver. that is ok. it is still a numbers matching car, that even though it has a few little holes, and was keyed at one time, i will have to resist the urge to repaint the car. here is some car **** for you to enjoy.

sorry, these are all i can get right now, as i pulled the car under my carport, with the intent of haveing it back running/driving by monday morning to tag and and insure it

enjoy. more to come

Attachments

• 008.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 312
  • 007.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 329
  • 006.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 313
  • 005.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 314
  • 003.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 313
  • 002.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 337
  • 001.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 341
Wow dude! that thing is outstanding....and its my favorite year and color/stripe combo! Very cool!

the storu on the car is, that i am now the 3rd owner. guy i bout it from had treid to buy this car from original owner for the last 20 years, to no avail. so 4 years ago, he broke down and went out and bought a 25,000 fully restored hemi orange 340 auto. well, two years ago, the original owner decided to start pulling it apart to restore it. he gave up after pulling engine and most trim off the car.

anyway, the guy i bought it from told me how the original owner used to drive it by his house every single weekend, and tease him with it, and he was so jealous..........................
little less than two years ago, the original owner call him, and asked if he had a price in mind with it being apart. so they came up with a price, and marty brought it home.

this was on craigslist in ashville n.c, and i just so happen to see the ad, but money is tight. i had a 99 dodge ram 2500 turbo diesel quad cab short bed 4x4 for like 6 months, and i paid a hefty price for it. i do not regret it. the best pulling truck i have ever owned, but the rear was acting up. i had a guy down the street from me that wanted it so bad, but i did not want to sell it,,,,,,,,,,,,,,.....................until i saw the ad and talked to the owner of the 72. after i got off the phone with him, i called the guy, and sold him my truck 10 minutes later.lol you may think that i am nutz to sell my truck to buy a car without seeing it???????? maybe, i mat be. but i knew that this guy was a honest straight-shooter. i took the gamble, sold truck for 12,000 and drove out to ashville n.c yesterday at 9 am. supposed to be a 8 hr round trip, but you know how it goes when the wife and kids go for the ride.lol turned into a 15 hr trip.
so i brought the car home for 5,500.00 and i think that it was one of the best deals i goit on a mopar, even a better deal than on my diesel truck.

i have had alot of 340 auto and 4-speeds, but have not been able to keep one in this horrible economy, but i am damn sure somehow going try to keep this one

btw, does a engine built in 8 or 9 of 71 make it the low compression?

btw, does a engine built in 8 or 9 of 71 make it the low compression?

Very cool find and for a reasonable price! Your motor has a Carter Thermoquad on it which is correct for your year. It also means its a low compression motor. I am not 100% sure but I believe that to be true.

Bloomington Gold coined this term as applied to show cars. They were trying to discourage the restoration of nice Corvettes, and created the "Survivor" class. There is plenty of documentation as to what constitutes a survivor as Bloomington dictates. I don't remember the specifics, but as Mac Daddy states, there are specific percentages.

These are my favorite kinds of cars. Any original old car is cool with me.

*************UPDATE..NEW PICS*************

well, it is now 6 pm, and i have been outside with a buddy putting the drivetrain and all the trim back on the car. it is done. all i need is thefuel line from the pump to the carb. that is all that was missing.

oh, and the one headlight.lol

so here are some pics of now done except for a carpet, headlight, and a fuel line

Attachments

• 009.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 279
  • 010.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 254
  • 012.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 247
  • 013.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 250
  • 014.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 249
  • 015.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 254
Thank you. Man that thing is awesome. So the next **** will be a video, burn-out perhaps?

where would be a good place to order a carpet, as i have the center console, don't i need some extra to cover that also? every carpet set on ebay says auto trans, but it does not say anything about it beinf for a console shift car.

I got it from Pro Fit Auto Interiors in Munford, AL. Met them at Garlits show in Ocala, FL last yr.
When I orig called them- I told them Stock Interiors price and they beat it! And- they have been very helpful in identifying orig options for my carpet (I got the mass backing)as well as options for my seats/doors. They had samples sent to me within 3 days! Instead of buying pre-cut console carpet ($) I just orderd a 1/2yd off addtl carpet and cut it myself
I dealt with Libby who has been amazing... both she and Rick were prompt and courteous in their communication. I had an issue with the mass backing and they had a new carpet sent out in 3days. I wouldnt hesitate to use them again.
Nice ride by the way!

well, i am completly done the car except for a carpet, and i must say, even if it is a low comp. engine, it is a wicked ride. i know it has been rebuilt, and i am not sure if inernals were touched, but it flies. i' have to leave a nice burn out tommorow with it to finish breaking it in.lol

-
Back