What makes mopar guy different?

-

doogievlg

Reaction score
I am 23 years old and have been going to car shows for the entirety of my life. One thing I have noticed in the last eight years that I have owned my mopar is the lack of chryslers at car shows. When we are at car shows we are always the guys who look a little wild as well. My dad just returned from spending a weekend in Knoxville at a 2000+ car show. He said he saw ONE dart and very few mopars.

What makes us shy away from shows. I say us because I am guilty of this, reason being I simply get bored if I'm not at a race track.

Other question is why do we always do stuff like burnout?

what makes mopar guys different??? these days way too many are worried about a tin tag on the dash and paint markings and will only go to mopar only shows.

hopefully with mopars not being the latest fad the mopar enthusiast will return to the guys that liked the cars and loved to use them. the hobby was a lot tighter before mopars became the latest and greatest thing for check book guys. the old guys helped out the young guys a lot more then they do thee days.. i think a lot of it is because the old guys and dying off little by little and there are more and more check book guys that only know mopars from an investment point of view.

When you get into cars like some people, you kinda take on the personality. Ford and Chevy people do not mind being one of many. Mopar people tend to be a little unique. JMO.

I never understood the guys going to mopar only shows. If your into winning shows then it would be easy getting the best mopar trophy...just show up!

i dont know about everyone else but all the mopar guys ive met in person were real jerks. whether theyre know-it-alls or hyperjudgemental. most of the time im treated like i couldnt possibly know anything about mopars and im not worth their time to talk about their car. ive rarely met a mopar guy who i legitimately would try to seek out again. idk maybe it is the checkbook guys ruining it or something. either way i dont love the fans i just love the cars.

i dont know about everyone else but all the mopar guys ive met in person were real jerks. whether theyre know-it-alls or hyperjudgemental. most of the time im treated like i couldnt possibly know anything about mopars and im not worth their time to talk about their car. ive rarely met a mopar guy who i legitimately would try to seek out again. idk maybe it is the checkbook guys ruining it or something. either way i dont love the fans i just love the cars.

that for the most part is the guys that jumped in when mopars became the new fad. not saying there were no doushebags in the 80's early 90's when i was young and new to the hobby but there were a lot fewer than now. like i said there are too many only worried about the cars from an investment point of view..

that for the most part is the guys that jumped in when mopars became the new fad. not saying there were no doushebags in the 80's early 90's when i was young and new to the hobby but there were a lot fewer than now. like i said there are too many only worried about the cars from an investment point of view..

yeah theyre probably just wanna talk to someone who they can sell it to. they see my poor *** coming and just feel im wasting their time lol:violent1:

Most Mopars I see whether on the street or at shows are stock bodied restorations and to tell you the truth, restorations aren't what car shows are about unless of course it's a concourse show of some kind, where you'll also find other stock looking type vehicles.

As a pinstriper, I hit lots of shows with my 64 Signet, if only to park it where it's safe, well within the show. I get plenty of questions right down to " is this a slant six " while the hood is open and the V8 emblems and 360 are in full view, I listen to stories about their father who had a Valiant and God knows how many times I've heard the same crap.

Sorry for the story which doesn't have anything to do with your question, yet I dislike Mopar people and stay clear from them as they haven't anything I haven't seen many times over and the only questions they ask is, if I can put a vertical vinyl stripe up over their trunk...

BTW, AbodyJoe, NuYawk and Joisey people are way different :)

lol...

i would have loved to see the mopar hobby in the 70's and early 80's.. had to be awesome.. only ones who had the cars had them because they loved them. i didn't get into the hobby until the late 80's. it was still cool back then but ya started seeing guys with high dollar cars and a lot of them were douchebags... most of the old timers were cool as hell. would help the young guys with parts,mechanical advice or whatever. it was awesome.. i can't really stand where the mopar hobby has gone...

I get tired of certain people who say " if your worried about the price you should just buy a chebby"...it's derogatory to new mopar owners who bought the car because it was the 1st gem they laid there eyes on when they were younger ...dream car.... but when I would talk to some guys on FB and have a question or seek guidance all I get is hostility. But I try to let that roll off the shoulders

I got mine when I was 15 simply because it was old cool and cheap. I have meet some mopar guys who blow me off when I ask them for advice and then I have meet guys who don't mind me swinging by unannounced. Over the weekend I needed advice and a part and I couldn't get the help I needed on this site.

I drove fourty minutes to this old timers house having no clue if he would be home. I walked up and knocked on his door and we went down to his shop and talked motors and he showed me some of the motors he was building for people. When I asked him about the part he pulled down a box and told me to buy him a beer next time I see him at the track and gave me the part. Guys like that are getting harder and harder to come by and I hope one day I'll have kids showing up at my shop asking for help.

heck i like the hardcore restorations with hemis in em and they just idle around and park totally babied. i dont think thats what the chrysler engineers had in mind for it when they designed 'el elephante'

I got mine when I was 15 simply because it was old cool and cheap. I have meet some mopar guys who blow me off when I ask them for advice and then I have meet guys who don't mind me swinging by unannounced. Over the weekend I needed advice and a part and I couldn't get the help I needed on this site.

I drove fourty minutes to this old timers house having no clue if he would be home. I walked up and knocked on his door and we went down to his shop and talked motors and he showed me some of the motors he was building for people. When I asked him about the part he pulled down a box and told me to buy him a beer next time I see him at the track and gave me the part. Guys like that are getting harder and harder to come by and I hope one day I'll have kids showing up at my shop asking for help.

honestly whether its a chevy ford mopar honda bmw ferrari whatever i think you get this all sides of the car hobby have the elitists and the guys who genuinely do it for the love. i dont think mopar guys are special at all. its just the make of car you prefer.

Joe, you cannot imagine what it's like when I see the tears in the eyes of the new Challenger owner as my 90 chebby LT4 six speed when it pulls a hole shot on'm or when I drop the hammer at 75 and pass them. A friend called me and said he was going to Medford, cruising at 75 when I passed him he got shook up and said it sounded like a plane

This is between A Body Joe and I... no need to attack me, I got 3 Mopars

for me , I don't follow trends, all my buddys growing up , "drivng age" were GM /Ford guys, my Grandfather had a 66 fury III, my Mom a 64 Dart 2 door , I just really thought Mopars were cooler than the other cars and in my case , they were faster and better looking, so much so , now that I'm 54 and have never owned anything but a Mopar, as far as the shows,at least down here in Fla. alot of the owners do seem to be "jump on the bandwagon types"and not real car lovers at heart, I'm not a purest either, my Dart is 2 1/2 cars in one and far from "correct" but it looks cool and and will turn more heads than most gms and fords

Joe, you cannot imagine what it's like when I see the tears in the eyes of the new Challenger owner as my 90 chebby LT4 six speed when it pulls a hole shot on'm or when I drop the hammer at 75 and pass them. A friend called me and said he was going to Medford, cruising at 75 when I passed him he got shook up and said it sounded like a plane

This is between A Body Joe and I... no need to attack me, I got 3 Mopars

i aint even mad bro. theres even some acuras im a fan of [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMdUo43-qu0"]Blown 454 big block powered acura integra - YouTube[/ame] :burnout:

I got my Duster for the love of it. Not in it to make money - just to have fun. Wanted a Mopar since I was 10 - finally got it at age 51. Not an investment - but it makes me feel like I'm 18 again every time I drive it. That is what counts to me. Much as I loved my 5.0 Mustang when I had it, it was just a placeholder.
I know I'm late to the party, should have had one years ago. Now the only way to get me out of an old Mopar is to pry the wheel out of my cold, dead fingers. Haven't met too many douchebags, mostly cool guys who are happy to help and to talk about their cars.

Mopars have always been special to me. I can't really explain it - I like most muscle cars and I'm not a brand snob, I'll look at anything and talk to any car guys whatever they have. But Mopars somehow captured my imagination and heart. I guess we're just different.

Steve

what's it like AFTER the alarm clock goes off?

I have to agree on the money aspect of things. Doogie your not too far from where I live and grew up. I used to do car shows at Joe Kidd Dodge. Part of the issue is geographical location as some areas lean towards one brand or the other. I agree I've met people that are so brand loyal that they won't even look at others. I had a 69 Charger that I got my freshman year and didn't drive til my senior year of high school. I drove that car every where. I think that is some of what you see. A lot of Mopar people like to drive their rides with out all the drama at shows. The last time I went to the Pumpkin Run in Owensville I heard a 'Vette owner whining about how he didn't win a trophy and he had a big dollar paint job blah blah blah. That soured me on it. And to be honest some people buy a high dollar turn key car and honestly can't stand there and answer questions some one who is really in to it asks. I personally like to go to shows and look at what others have done. I get ideas that way. To a lot of people it's about status and trophies not the enjoyment of seeing old cars. One other thing I think Mopar people have always been a bit out cast. Me personally I don't really care what others think too much. I just like to enjoy my time.

I don't really care for ratrods but if you want somebody enthusiastic to talk to at a show, they are the best and usually where I will be. My truck is kinda a rat but with a decent paint job.

The trailer queens are usually sitting there with all their owners fortressed in a circle of lawn chairs. Last show I went to looked like a 1969 GM dealership with all the Camaro SS cars lined up.

Old Mopar guys do tend to be loners. The investor types will talk but they usually don't have anything but money and cost to talk about. Most don't know much about their cars and if it were to break down on the way to the trailer they would have to call AAA.

Here's my two cents,
I'm 54 and didn't get my 1st car till I was 22, it was a 66 Charger w/361ci. I've been hooked on Mopars ever since. Since 99% of the people out there couldn't give a rats *** about an old car its not easy meeting people that share the passion for old classics let alone an old Mopar. Of the handful of carguy friends I've had thru the years they were mostly Chevy guys and one Ford guy. Kinda sad but come to think of it I've never had a friend that was into Mopars. I buy these old Mopars cause I love em and yes I drive the **** outta em, never entered a carshow in my life but have seen a fair amount of track time w/ my 69 Cuda 440ci and my 64 Valiant 383ci. Even at the track here in Texas there are hardly any Mopars and the few Mopar guys there are seem disinterested.. Just bought a 65 Cuda kinda like a birthday midlife crisis deal and though its gonna need some work, I'm already driving the **** outta it. Mostly get these looks like "oh that poor loser having to drive that old car around" My ol'lady could give a **** about an old car and in reality it sure would be nice to have some local Mopar friends that share the passion. Working on stuff yourself gets a little old sometimes and at times it hard to stay motivated.

Where the hell are ya NORTH TEXAS MOPAR PEOPLE !!!

Think they heard me?

Maybe I oughta start a North Texas Mopar thread to see who's out there. I've seen the NOR CAL one and its huge, kinda wish I lived up there. Oh by the way, my new 65 just came from NOR CAL, go figure.

I have to agree on the money aspect of things. Doogie your not too far from where I live and grew up. I used to do car shows at Joe Kidd Dodge. Part of the issue is geographical location as some areas lean towards one brand or the other. I agree I've met people that are so brand loyal that they won't even look at others. I had a 69 Charger that I got my freshman year and didn't drive til my senior year of high school. I drove that car every where. I think that is some of what you see. A lot of Mopar people like to drive their rides with out all the drama at shows. The last time I went to the Pumpkin Run in Owensville I heard a 'Vette owner whining about how he didn't win a trophy and he had a big dollar paint job blah blah blah. That soured me on it. And to be honest some people buy a high dollar turn key car and honestly can't stand there and answer questions some one who is really in to it asks. I personally like to go to shows and look at what others have done. I get ideas that way. To a lot of people it's about status and trophies not the enjoyment of seeing old cars. One other thing I think Mopar people have always been a bit out cast. Me personally I don't really care what others think too much. I just like to enjoy my time.

I took my dart to that show at joe Kidd a couple times . I lived right off merwin ten mile. If you graduated in the 70s from Amelia with that charger then I have heard a thing or two about that car from my dad. The pumpkin runs mopar turn out is sad and the abody turnout is downright pitiful.

-
Back