What manual transmissions were behind the magnums and do they fit into my car

-

maca

Reaction score
Hey all.
I am in Australia and currently building a 360 Magnum for my 1972 charger. I would like to make this one and manual instead of an automatic. Can anyone tell me what manual transmissions came out behind the 360 Magnums. I would like to know if they will fit into my car or do I have to modify the tunnel. Are they a strong gearbox as well. I'm Coming to America in a few weeks time I would like to purchase one but I need to find out if it will fit first. Does anyone know the width, length and height of one of these boxes. Any help is greatly appreciated

To my knowledge, it's all truck stuff. Not really a go.

Look into any of the four-speeds, or Passon's 5 speed (long wait list I've heard), or any of the 5/6 speed swaps that are small block compatible. Only the factory transmissions and Passon's would be bolt ins.

If you're running the factory EFI, you'll need a crank sensor provision as well.

Im not running an ecu. The magnum will be a carby. I already have 2 automatic cars running a a518 and a 727 so i would like a manual car next for a change. So the manual transmissions that came out behind the magnums are hard to find and need the factory ecu?
In the usa, do you call the manual transmissions a standard transmission?

Any small block bell housing and A833 trans will bolt right up. The floor humps are available. For a 5 or 6 speed see American Power Train or Silver Sport Transmissions. The trucks with the Magnums had a big heavy 5 speed. Don't know if anybody has put one of those in an A body (is an Australian 72 Charger a B body)?

Last edited:
Agree with Cuda69, just wondering how it will all work with the right hand drive car. The floor humps (US anyway) only work on the left hand side of the car and would make for a looong reach for a right handed drive car.

And with the 833, the shift linkages have to be on that side of the trans. Hmmmm.....

Did the Australian Chargers ever come with 4 speeds? And if so, how did that set up work?

C

Course it may be a moot point if we are talking about This charger....

191754-1972-dodge-charger-thumb-c.jpg

1972_dodge_charger-pic-1746-640x480.jpeg

Instead of this charger....

charger-1.jpg

The manual trans for the magnums were all from trucks, NV4500 behind the 360 and NV3500 behind 318's. Gm used the same trans in there trucks as well. Trans tunnel would definitely need to be modded to fit one for sure, it is big.

Wouldn't the bell housings have to be different also? The clutch fork would need to go through the right side. Could go hydraulic. Probably available down under.

I did this on my old 70 Barracuda. 360 Magnum, Tremec 5 speed with standard old small block bellhousing machined to adapt to the tremec.

You need a special flywheel for the Magnum, I do not remember if it was Mopar performance that I went with or not. I do remember that I got one of the 1st batch & it was balanced 180* out & shook like crazy. I called them up & they swapped it out. Worked perfect afterwords.

Im not running an ecu. The magnum will be a carby. I already have 2 automatic cars running a a518 and a 727 so i would like a manual car next for a change. So the manual transmissions that came out behind the magnums are hard to find and need the factory ecu?
In the usa, do you call the manual transmissions a standard transmission?
Being a manual trans, a computer isn't needed for use. I would look into the gear ratios within the transmission and decide if it is OK with you. There spreads aren't what many here want to use.

I've got a 5.9 magnum in my Duster backed by an AX-15 5 speed from a v6 1998 Dakota. I bought the 5.9 flywheel off of rockauto and everything bolted together and works great. The sheet metal of the tunnel doesn't need modified but the upper loop of the torsion bar crossmember need modified

-
Back