What new gen Challenger is best and Why?

-

v8fish

Reaction score
OK I know this isn't an A-body question but figured I might as well open this can of worms. I'm considering purchasing a newer Challenger as a daily driver. Not gonna spend the $$$ on a SRT, Hellcat or Demon. Probably gonna be a used vehicle open to any year for now. I have two 2nd Barracudas and a motorcycle if I wanna go fast. SO I haven't yet started doing much research but wanted your opinions about engine trans year pros and cons. Please only comment if you have actual knowledge/experience. Thanks in advance for the help.

I have a 2009 5.7 R/T stripe deleted, 6 speed manual transmission zero options. Fast, smooth, quiet, 28 mpg at 70 mph highway. Only suggestion is to get the fix for that Idiot skip shift that locks you out of 2nd gear at a certain rpm. My wife has a 2012 Charger R/T 5.7 with the automatic transmission. Great highway car, plenty fast, 30+ mpg highway. I'd say take your pick. Not sure I'd get a 6 though.

Well, a new V6 isn't a bad choice. IF you don't need a hot rod, the V6 (3.6) has plenty of power, gets good gas mileage, reliable, cheaper to buy, cheaper to insure, and the car will still give you all the looks.

OK I know this isn't an A-body question but figured I might as well open this can of worms. I'm considering purchasing a newer Challenger as a daily driver. Not gonna spend the $$$ on a SRT, Hellcat or Demon. Probably gonna be a used vehicle open to any year for now. I have two 2nd Barracudas and a motorcycle if I wanna go fast. SO I haven't yet started doing much research but wanted your opinions about engine trans year pros and cons. Please only comment if you have actual knowledge/experience. Thanks in advance for the help.
I have an 09 SRT 6 speed, the SRT has far better suspension, braking, interior and power. If I were to get one a little newer it would still be the SRT due to the adjustable suspension and the brakes alone. I personally get about 26 mpg on a long trip doing 75 mph, and the car will easily get rubber out of 4 the gear if I want it to with the 3.92 gears. Car is very comfortable, stops really quickly, and will pull away from a lot of musclecars. Just my .02
Also a few years of the VVT 5.7 engines were having timing chain/ tensioner problems. You can get some of the earlier cars in the high teens / low 20's now

Last edited:
Ok since you asked. I started with a 2010 5.7 with a manual transmission. Nice car no problems. Then went with a 2014 5.7 with the auto transmission. I know just a couple of months ago bought a 2017 3.6 sxt plus I think it has everything but a sunroof. I didn't think I would like the newer style, but now that I own it I love it. BTW my first two R/T had track packages. I wasn't sure if the 6 would be enough, but with that new 8 speed transmission it's awesome. I really could afford more of a car. I just really didn't want it. If you get an older one get one with the STP. Good luck I love em.

The timing chain issues on the 5.7 auto trans cars was taken care of supposedly in 2010. If you get one and hino you may want to throw a tuner on it at some point stay 2014 and under as the 2015 and up require you to buy an unlocked pcm from Dodge first.

I own a 2006 Charger SRT-8 and a 2012 300C Hemi and have been a big part of the Modern Mopar community for the past 11 years.

All of the modern Challengers are good but you have some choices to consider (non-SRT since that's what you said you were interested in)...

2008-2010
3.5 L V6 - 250 hp
5.7L V8 - 370 hp with MDS (runs 4 cyl on cruise, 8 cyl on power)
NAG1 5 spd automatic tranny (nearly bullet proof HP, but a bit harsh)
Tremec TR 6060 6 spd manual

These cars are good, but the weak spots tend to be in the front end (tie rods, strut tensioner bushings and ball joints). These cars also have relatively antiquated electronics in the NAV, sound systems and UConnect Bluetooth that are prone to failures. These cars also have "open" PCM so that tuning is easy using the DiabloSport tuners.

2011-2014
3.6 L V6 (Pentastar) - 305 hp
5.7L V8 - 370 hp with MDS (runs 4 cyl on cruise, 8 cyl on power)
NAG1 5 spd automatic tranny (nearly bullet proof HP, but a bit harsh)
Tremec TR 6060 6 spd manual

These cars got some improvements to the suspension and brake feel. Steering was also switched from power hydraulic to electro-hydraulic. Electronics were upgraded also with large touch screen options. PCM received progressive locking by Chrysler from 2011-2014 but all are tunable now.

2014-2017
The engines are the same as 2011-2014 but now all of the automatics are the 8 spd Torqueflight 8. The 6 speed manual Tremec is still available. The automatics have the new improved electronic shifter. The larger 392 Hemi engine is also available on non SRT models

The front suspension was completely redesigned and has eliminated most of the issues of durability seen on earlier models. Brakes are upgraded too. The Electronics are now at the top end of the industry standard offering. There were also body changes that included fascia, hood and tail lights. These cars are not tunable without PCM replacement.

Last edited:
2010 SRT8 6 speed. Bought it wrecked (but not bad) It has headers,air intake, and a chip. I have seen it at 145+ in 5th with more to spare. 100 with the cruise is a smooth ride! Comfortable, quiet and 18 mpg if you drive it easy. What's not to like. I have a 66 HP273 4 speed car and a 70 Swinger 318 auto, ps car. all are fun, exciting but all are real different.

105443439582243714110289095622327654063019630995n (1).jpg

The 8 speed trans is magic on these cars.

I Have a 2015 charger with a 5.7 and 8 speed. Combined mileage is 26-27 with nothing more than a drop in filter and 91 octane gas.

reset it on the highway and it'll pull 30 MPG. the pentastar is a phenomenal engine also if you're looking for a few more MPG. I've owned several of them also with no complaints.

the 8 speed would be my only requirement in your "daily driver" search.

My wife's mother loves her '12. V6, auto. Plenty of power for what she needs and good mileage.

Is there any real MPG difference between the v6 & v8?
Real world in my 14 Charger R/T is 19 average mostly running in the city. Two long trips I took, one from STL to Orlando and back and one STL to Indy and back averaged 27.3. Too me not enough of a difference to go with the v6. Besides when we bought it my wife preferred the way the R/T drove and handled over the V6 so that pretty much decided it.

'15 and later got a redesigned interior, if it matters.

Read recently that the new '17's have the Apply Car Play and similar Android app available. I don't really care myself, but just something to add to the mix.

Personally (if it were for me), bag for the buck, I would look for a '09 or '10 SRT8 with a stick. Supposedly, the 6.1 isn't significantly faster than the 5.7, but no way you could replicate the SRT suspension and brakes on an R/T for the difference in cost, and I think the 6.1 still has more potential than the 5.7.

If cost were less of a concern, but still a limit, I would be looking for either a 6.4 SRT or Scat Pack with a 6M. I would think the SP would be similar in value to an '11 to '14 SRT, but the SP would have the new interior design.

For me, the 6.4 is the one to have, regardless of what it is in. Next step down would be a 6.1. I'd take a 5.7, but I would always feels like I settled. Just to be clear, though, this is from the theoretical "what-if" arena, not from someone that has either spent the money, nor driven either on more than a test drive. I have test driven both a '10 R/T 6M and a '16 R/T 6M and it felt like to me that the '10 was faster, and that neither would satisfy me for very long. Didn't drive the '16 SP as I knew I would get out of it and sign papers and wasn't ready to take that step.

I think about this often, unfortunately. I also avoid the dealership and Autotrader online when I can. :)

IMG_3779.JPG
OK update: So after looking at several new and used I found this 2010 R/T with 6500 miles on it and every available option for that year. Got it for a great price and absolutely LOVE it! The previous owner added a BBK throttle body, K&N CAI and a Hypertech Tuner. I added R/T side stripes. still rides, looks and smells new.

Nice! I have a 2018 Scat Pack, 6 speed manual on order right now. Hope to see it sometime in September.

I really like the 15+ interior redesign but others prefer the previous design.

I'm sure you enjoy that.

From what I have been reading the 8 speed auto is actually faster than the 6 speed manual.

-
Back