What oil for solid lifters?

-

340 Dart

I don't know ****.
Reaction score
My slant has about 300-400 miles on it now and I need to change out the oil soon. I am not sure what the PO has in there or if he has added any sort of additive to protect the solid lifters.
My question is, what brand and weight of motor oil should I run in it?
Would I need something special or can I use an additive of some kind?

if it were mine it would have a straight weight oil like 30or40 with that meny mil. iv never seen an older motor live with split weight oil (with out an adative lucus makes some good stuff.)

Wow
I run and have always run Mobil 1 0-30 or 10-30 in my NEW mills I add GM EOS to the first oil and a couple of ozs the the oil changes. Any good oil will work fine And the EOS will add the zddp for the cam.
Frank

I've used Val. racing oil in over 12 of my racing engines. never had any troble with any of them, it is ashless oil and has a none foming agent in it . stops foming if oil hits crank shaft on launch. i also put a bottle of STP Oil treatment in also. why you ask, I gain 10th of a sec. with it in oil. tried many times without it and as soon as I put it in the run i go a 10th faster. the clearance on crank will determin the weight of oil you need. Ask your eng. builder. what he feels you should use. Good Luck Gary I used pennzoil racing oil in one of my motors and turned a bearing on 1st run. this was a 1967 442 that ran on the nhra national record in class . I never used that crap again.

I read a really great article "Trouble in Oil City" about why Diesel oil is Great for solid lifters. I am running Valvoline Delo 400 15W-40. I plan to switch to Shell Rotella-T 15w-40 after initial break in. My engine is a 67 273 4b with solid adjustable valve-train.

Do some research, as was said ZINC!!!!

Thanks alot for the tips guys. I will head to the nappa in the morning and see exactly what is available.

I read a really great article "Trouble in Oil City" about why Diesel oil is Great for solid lifters. I am running Valvoline Delo 400 15W-40. I plan to switch to Shell Rotella-T 15w-40 after initial break in. My engine is a 67 273 4b with solid adjustable valve-train.

Do some research, as was said ZINC!!!!
i was told that diesel oil is very close to raceing oil by an oil rep.as fare as rotella-t I have to trucks with over a milloin miles checked bottom end at a million still had hase on barrings. cost is a little more but with those resalts its worth it.

i was told that diesel oil is very close to raceing oil by an oil rep.as fare as rotella-t I have to trucks with over a milloin miles checked bottom end at a million still had hase on barrings. cost is a little more but with those resalts its worth it.

Good news! Wow, that sounds impressive. and your Car is BAD ***!!!:salut:

It is sad what has happened to oils. It is true that diesel oil has the most amount of zinc diphosphor sulfer (they claim pollutes the air). They have to run so many miles the EPA left their oils alone for the most part. Anyway, most diesels have roller lifters.
Solid lifter cams generally use higher spring pressures on the nose so the critical time is the initial start and break-in. The old moly lube was OK but it tended to plug oil filters and required changing the oil right away. Absolutely the best product I have found is Torco MPZ to coat the moving parts on assembly. It looks like red jelly. It contains proprietary ingredients but it certainly contains zdps. I researched them going to torcousa.com. Lucas Oil Stabilizer also has the anti wear ingredients but not as much as STP!
Back when I was drag racing, Valvoline (Ashland Oil Co.) gave us free 50 wt racing oil for the Hemi. Castrol approached and gave us their 20/50 and I loved it. I still use it today. It had the greatest pressure stability at the finish line compared to the starting line. Today, when I'm not running rollers, I use serious solid lifter cams with the highest possible spring pressure. I have never had a cam/lifter failure with the Torco MPZ and the 20/50 oil with either STP or Lucas in subsequent oil changes. I believe that Comp Cams now includes the MPZ with their cams.
Pat

-
Back