What oil has zinc now?

-

68383GTS

Reaction score
What oil has zinc in it now?And where can I buy it?I was going to use Shell Rotella,but I heard it no longer has the zinc.I just built a fresh motor.I have the cam broke in and have no miles on it yet.My Com Cams directions say you don't have to run zinc oil after the cam is broke in.I thought atleast run zinc in the first 1000 miles or so.Com Cams directions say to use Shell Rotella but I bought my cam a year ago.
Or am I just worring for nothing.
Thanks,Jim

You can use diesel motor oil for your cam break in, as well as the first 1000 miles if you have concern. Diesel oil is rich in zinc.

George

Not any more its not.

For now , I use Rotella 15-40 with a bottle of additive like Comp or Hughes engines.

Royal Purple has it. Pricey, but good stuff. I get mine from Jegs or Summit, but the local parts store's has some of it for sale now.

I use Amsoil 20W-50 Severe Service Racing oil. It has plenty of ZDDP and phosphorus. They also have 20W-50 and 10W-40 oils that are called "Extended Protection" or something like that, that also have plenty. The last time I researched this the oils that were still OK were Amsoil, Rotella, Valvoline VR-1, Brad Penn (the old Kendall green), and Royal Purple. There was talk that Rotella and Brad Penn were phasing out ZDDP but I do not know if that ever happened.

Joe Gibbs has got some great oil, high in zinc.

I just bought 5 qts. of Joe's oil.... and at $13 per qt. it better NOT give me any grief!

This Sunday.... I swear I'm gonna break it in. Sunday....

www.northgeorgiamoparclub.com has a write up on ZDDP addiditve and it's uses.
Mainly for keeping your moving parts covered with oil while the motor sits as most of our cars don't get driven much.

The write up is at the top of the website and there is also a good write up on a special coolant additive for cars that just seem to overheat no matter what you try.

Well, it was on the newsletter.
I'm gonna have to track it down.

What oil has zinc in it now?And where can I buy it?I was going to use Shell Rotella,but I heard it no longer has the zinc.I just built a fresh motor.I have the cam broke in and have no miles on it yet.My Com Cams directions say you don't have to run zinc oil after the cam is broke in.I thought atleast run zinc in the first 1000 miles or so.Com Cams directions say to use Shell Rotella but I bought my cam a year ago.
Or am I just worring for nothing.
Thanks,Jim
I bought all the Rotella diesel oil that my local Autozone had in stock two years ago. I have heard that the diesel oil available at NAPA still is the good stuff.

got rotella in my 340 right now to break in, but also added the comp cams zinc additive

have a case of Joe Gibbs oil to change once broke in

but will probably run something different once that is gone and just use the additive. one bottle per oil change at $12 a bottle seems like the way to go

Smoked my #6 intake lobe using VR1 to break in my very mild cam. I'm not saying it's bad oil and I prefer Valvoline, but that's what happened. Crane now says DO NOT USE SL RATED OIL. VR1 is SL rated. Their VR motorcycle oil is SJ rated, just food for thought.

I checked out all three major cam manufacturers and the only oil now recommended by name is a single weight SAE30 Rotella, Brad Penn or Joe Gibbs WITH an additive. I'll be using the Rotella this weekend with the Hughes Engines additive. I bought out the last of the SJ rated Rotella from Advance (12 qts). I'll update everyone.

After this little nightmare I will never run a flat tappet again. I've never smoked a cam in 23 years. I'm over it.

This is what I use BUT does it really have enough Zinc?

It once had one of the highest contents of zinc, like 20% but may have been reduced like most every other oil. Even the street version is at or above the 11% minimum. The key is to use the off-road VR-1 if it`s available.

This is what I use BUT does it really have enough Zinc?
I can't say for sure because with everyone but Amsoil I relied on what I read in magazines and on forums. Amsoil is the only company that sent me detailed info on what is in their products.

You can always check a product's Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) to learn more about it's contents...

Rotella T Multi-grade 15W-40

SECTION 2 PRODUCT/INGREDIENTS
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
CAS# CONCENTRATION INGREDIENTS
100% volume Multigrade Motor Oil
Mixture 80 - 94.99% volume Highly refined petroleum distillates
Mixture 3 - 8.99% volume Zinc Compounds
Mixture 1 - 4.99% volume Polymer additives

Jerry

You can always check a product's Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) to learn more about it's contents...

Rotella T Multi-grade 15W-40

SECTION 2 PRODUCT/INGREDIENTS
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
CAS# CONCENTRATION INGREDIENTS
100% volume Multigrade Motor Oil
Mixture 80 - 94.99% volume Highly refined petroleum distillates
Mixture 3 - 8.99% volume Zinc Compounds
Mixture 1 - 4.99% volume Polymer additives

Jerry
Oops. It looks like Rotella did lose it's zinc. You need a bare minimum of 1100ppm (11%). 1200ppm is better.

-
Back