What paint do you guys use on exhaust manifolds?

-

cudacrazy67

Reaction score
I just got some hp 340 manifolds. I'm getting them sand blasted. What is the best paint to use that will hold up for years and years? Don't want to powdercoat them. I heard if you bake on the vht brand paint it will hold up for many years. Anything better out there? This is a street car that I will drive alot and want to Paint them one time thanks, mike

I have not seen any paint yet that could last on exhaust manifolds (even the so called 1200° barbecue paint). The only coatings that will last is ceramic or the "Hot jet coating" I hear. Anything else will eventually burn off and rust. (even powdercoat)

You could have them ceramic coated. That will last for years.

I used Eastwood's manifold paint. You can brush or spray. I did both but didn't fire up the engine to bake the paint for a month. Mine still look pretty good but are showing signs of rust. I can brush on another coat again though. tmm

Attachments

• ex. man. resize.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 331
  • 100_5214.jpg
    169.2 KB · Views: 314
  • engine 205.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 373
I will be using POR-15 Exhaust Manifold paint on my old headers. have not used it before but find POR-15 products to typically perform as promised.

Plan on posting my results once I get em done and burned in.

Pat

Are we talking about retaining the cast iron look, or simply protection? I'll be going down this road in a month or so, and was considering the eastwood coating. Their stuff is typically top dollar, but in some cases, I think it's worth spending. TMM's point about being able to do brush on touch-ups is a plus. But I'll have to consider the POR15 too. Does it give a cast iron look? And I'd love to hear from people who have some miles on it.

I have sandblasted and POR'd "nitemoves" 318 manifolds and they turned out great!! They havent been fired up yet though. I also used POR "black velvet" on a customers motorcycle 4-1 header and it turned out nice as well. Both were brush on and went on perfect! Im going to use POR on both mine and my dads manifolds

i need to hear from people that had them on there cars for years and had heat going through them. no offense guys. thanks,mike.

I sprayed on the VHT and baked according to directions, sandblasted them first. Been 3 months now and I am starting to see rust again:thumbdow:
C

The first time I painted the manifolds on the 340 in my '74, I wire brushed them and sprayed them with the cheapest paint I had on hand (walmart paint 99 cents a can) and then they sat around for 6 months before I had the car running.

That paint stayed on for over a year (after the car was together and driven) before it started to rust. When I had the engine out over the following winter (for upgrades) I sandblasted the manifolds and sprayed them with 1200* Engine Paint. They rusted within a month of driving the car

Similar experience, I sprayed the exhaust on my Yamaha DT175 with 1200* Engine Paint and it rusted within a few months. So I wire brushed the whole exhaust and sprayed it with cheapie walmart spray cans (99 cents again). It baked on (from riding the bike) and hasn't rusted yet (been on the bike for several years)

that Walmart paint is probably from China and has something like lead in it! LOL

I have TBC on my Regal GS headers. Had to remove them when the wife popped the transaxle. Coating was still there, but a little scratched. Cleaned them and sprayed them with VHT "Header Paint," in flat grey. Works great, but I still have the TBC under it and my only purpose for it was to have uniform color/'cosmetic' because the scratches looked like hell

Ive used the VHT on manifolds and the Eastwood stuff on headers. Both worked well.

..sandblast and 2 light coats of cast blast ,then satin clear
baked on the shop wood stove for about an hour
held up for 3 years now..maybe i've been lucky
i keep my shop above 40 all winter

Eastwood manifold paint. factory grey.
Blast the manifolds so you get all the paint off.
Spray with brake cleaner, let dry.
Spray on the paint. 1 can will do 2 manifolds.
I have used this paint on several manifolds, and it works well.
With anything prep is key.

-
Back