what piston?

-

duster 2

dustertwo
Reaction score
I have a 1972 340 bored .060 over....Just wondering what type piston everybodys running on the street...Have eldelbrock performer rpm heads....
Thanks ...

I would suggest the Mahle power pak with their 1mm ring set, but I do not believe that they have a 340 piston. 060 over

For a street piston, these may work well for you. Hypereutectic with a deck height of 1.840 will put you .018 above deck, which will help with your open chamber heads. Relatively inexpensive at $390 amazon/$409 cnc motorsports.
Negative is the thicker 5/64th ring pack, but what your 340 originally came with, and they ran well

Keith Black Pistons KB243-060 Fits SB Chrysler 340 Flat Top 6cc Bore 4.100

That’s by the numbers and often is not the case.
True that, but since no other information is given to previous block work, it is a starting point.
In fact, no other requirement given except for, a street engine, 4.100 bore, standard stroke.
One other nice thing about those pistons are their lightweight, lighter than the stock 340 pistons. These being .060 oversized, should not require much to balance

I have a 1972 340 bored .060 over....Just wondering what type piston everybodys running on the street...Have eldelbrock performer rpm heads....
Thanks ...

Most guys that run and drive the streets use a Hyperutecic piston. The popular one is the Keith Black pistons. I’m not sure what is available from Federal Mougal, but I use there pistons in a 360. Super similar to the KB slugs, these featured a slick coating on the sides of the piston for reduced friction. Competitively priced.

Depending on your heads/chamber size, a domed 340 piston may present a problem depending on where or how far down the hole the piston sits.

I did a 340 with the replacement style 340 pistons from KB. They have a .060 dome. You’ll need to use clay on top of the piston and no head gasket to see exactly how much room is there. Then select the proper gasket for your needs.

My 340 pistons were set at a zero deck height via the flat portion of the piston, not the dome area. The cylinder heads are the ProMaxx CNC chink castings. Sorry to say, I don’t remember the gasket thickness. But it is pump gas friendly.

The hypers are cheaper than forged lighter in weight and run tighter clearances. This ring thickness is a mod you can request (as well an oversize) on a custom order with a phone call to the maker you choose.

-
Back