What radiator are you running?

-

red cuda

Reaction score
Got the 65 barracuda running, but I don't think the slant 6 radiator is gonna keep it cool. the engine is a 318, .030 over. mild cam. four barrel. without a thermostat its running at 190 idling. 904 transmission. I don't know if I can maintain this running a thermostat, and driving in town at redlights, with stop and go traffic. Is anyone running different radiators from later vehicles, or something that will interchange? I want to look around , before I spend a lot of cash for a new aftermarket. Thanks.

I have one out of my Dart that I used when I went to a SB setup. It has model # 433526. It's a 2 core brass and copper unit that worked fine for me. Has a trans cooler for automatic cars.

Our Dart is a LONG ways away form being done but the radiator/fan set up is from, damn web site is gone...never mind...

Got the 65 barracuda running, but I don't think the slant 6 radiator is gonna keep it cool. the engine is a 318, .030 over. mild cam. four barrel. without a thermostat its running at 190 idling. 904 transmission. I don't know if I can maintain this running a thermostat, and driving in town at redlights, with stop and go traffic. Is anyone running different radiators from later vehicles, or something that will interchange? I want to look around , before I spend a lot of cash for a new aftermarket. Thanks.

What does it do with a T stat.

Right now the water/coolant is free flowing and not being slowed a bit to spend time in the rad to cool.

You may not have a problem at all.

Starting a new motor, I just left the thermostat out for now. I put one in it today. holding steady idling. Just want to get a jump on it in case I need to buy one. I put a thermostat in all my street cars. I want a direct fit rad.

I'm running the stock 26 inch rad that came with my dart, took it to a rad shop to get it cleaned out. I just lucked out because my car was an AC one and it came with a bigger rad. Shouldn't have any issues with my new small block.

A photo would help us help you. I am guessing your small block has an alum w.p., otherwise the lower tube wouldn't fit the slant radiator. You must have added a rubber bushing to fit the 1.5" lower tube to your 1.75" w.p. inlet. Is your slant radiator one of the short width ones with a wide blocker plate on the passenger side? If a full 22"W core, I wouldn't worry until you realize an actual problem. Running without a T-stat won't help. Adding a shroud should help a lot, as would a rubber top shield to keep the air from recirculating when idling.

yes, its the short width radiator. I was thinking about a shroud. I guess I would need to fabricate one, as I was told that they didn't come factory with a shroud.

410 stroker 4 speed with a stock radiator never overheated once on me was 90 degrees today and temp sat at 185-190 all day long

I run a stock 2 core rad in my race car with 410 SB also.I had it recorded before install and it holds it,s own fine.

-
Back