What rear end is this?

-

ADMC

Reaction score
Hey guys, first post, looking to buy a rear end from a guy on Craigslist and this is the only picture he's sent me. He says the casting number is "3 23189" but I can't find anything that matches those numbers after quite a while on Google.
45039.jpeg

There's a 440 and what appears to be a BB 727 in the background if that might give any indication. If any of you guys might know what rear end this is I'd very much appreciate it.

Possibly a Dana 60 but I’m no expert. Would need more pics.

tell him to flip it over.. looks like it could be an 8 1/4

probably not an abody one either. has those stupid perches that use the rubber isolators like itn 74ish.

tell him to flip it over.. looks like it could be an 8 1/4

probably not an abody one either. has those stupid perches that use the rubber isolators like itn 74ish.
Yeah I'm gonna have to ask him to do that. The casting numbers aren't matching up with anything I'm finding and that angle is anything but informative.

I'm hoping it isn't an 8 1/4, that's exactly what I'm trying to replace lol.

Look at the bottom edge...it's a 9 1/4, probably from a '70s B or C body

View attachment 1715323907
You're probably right, he didn't turn it over for me but did say that the motor that came out of the same car (which he says was a 72-74 Newport) was a 4006630-440, which looks like a later 440.

Which if it came out of a C-Body, it's probably way too wide to put into an A-body without a lot of work.

The good news - Pinion snubber, so not from a truck, & the spring perches on the bottom also confirm it is from a car.

This one is a Dana 60 from a 1969 B-body, note the cast in 60 outlined in red;

1969 B-body Dana 60 1 oval 60 w.jpg

-
Back