what rear end lube?

-

younggun2.0

Reaction score
no i dont need KY jelly.......

got an 8 3/4 rear with a detroit locker and 4:10 rear gear by richmond and green bearings. what would you guys recommend for gear lube? did the break in with 80w90 and looking to switch to synthetic now. the car is street strip and i have heard that thinner viscosity is worth some time in the quarter. what are your thoughts.

This can be a open question as viscosity and application. If you are doing any street driving,, a 75w85 or 80w90 would be your best bet. Guys that are running stock class with spools tend to go to something lighter(60w) and use only one quart for less drag and "SOME" use SAE 30 motor oil to free up some horespower,,,but that is extreeme ! I've used Mobil 1 and Royal Purple with good results. Just like engine oil each person has his own favorite.

the car will see about 1500-2000 street miles a year and be driven to the track 30 miles round trip as often as possible. not looking to set et records but every bit helps.

I've been using Amsoil's Severe Gear 75w-90 for years in my 8 3/4" differential with 4.86 gears and spool. Been more than happy with the wear/life of the gears and bearings. It has an additive compatible with most limited slip differentials for those who need it.

Probably not enough benefit to risk going any thinner, even if anyone makes something compatible. But I have heard of some racers running only 1 - 1.5 qts, mainly in a heads-up situation. I just don't want to push my luck too much.

http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-product/gear-lube/severe-gear-75w-90/?code=SVGQT-EA

Attachments

• SVG.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 294
In the process of building up a 489/8.75. Synthetics were way out in the future in my day. However, after breaking in with a mineral based 80/90, I like the looks of the Amsoil 75w-90. Have had good reports from others using it, too.

no i dont need KY jelly.......

got an 8 3/4 rear with a detroit locker and 4:10 rear gear by richmond and green bearings. what would you guys recommend for gear lube? did the break in with 80w90 and looking to switch to synthetic now. the car is street strip and i have heard that thinner viscosity is worth some time in the quarter. what are your thoughts.

check with Dr Diff- knows his stuff- good guy- go with his recommendations- I forget what we used in my rear a year ago....

Lucas full synthetic and if using a clutch type limited slip about three bottles of the mopar friction modifier js

I agree. Strange included Lucas 80w-90 gear oil with my S60 with an Eaton Tru-trac. That's what I plan on putting back in when I've got it broken in.

-
Back