What rear end to buy?

-

Rooster71

Reaction score
I'm thinking about getting an entire new third member for my 71 Dart.....Just not sure who to go with and what model? Auburn? Eaton? Anyone have horror stories to share?

Thanks abodyjoe. Is that what your running in your Swinger? What gear ration are you running?
The gear ratio is only part of the total package and 100% depends on what you're are wanting to do with the car.

Thats a locker....

What are you doing with the car or what are you thinking of doing. .

No, the Truetrac is not a locker. It's a torque sensing gear driven limited slip differential. Big difference.

http://www.eaton.com/Eaton/Products...utomotiveAftermarket/Differentials/PCT_221471

"The Detroit Truetrac was the first helical gear differential ever introduced into the automotive aftermarket as an Eaton brand. It remains the leading helical gear-type LIMITED SLIP differential in the industry. Detroit Truetrac's proven helical gear design eliminates the need for wearable parts, resulting in maintenance free traction recognized not only for its toughness, but its smooth and quiet operation as well. Proven design, low cost and effective performance all make the Detroit Truetrac LIMITED SLIP differential the ideal choice for a wide variety of vehicle applications. No maintenance - Just Traction."

That's straight off the Eaton site. I think they know what they build.

I'm planning on just using the car as a street driver, occasional street legal drags. Right now I'm running pretty high speed gears with a little play in the rear end. Soooooo if I'm going to change up I want a whole new unit. I want it to play nice turning corners, but when I do a burnout I want both tires boiling, not just the one that preforms now.

Its currently running a 360 with 340 heads, Edelbrock air gap intake and an Edelbrock 600 carb. Future plans are to get a 408 stroker, so the new rear end has to be tough enought to take my abuse in the future.

Thinking of going with 3.23 or 3.55 (or close to that). Not sure what I have in there now until I get home and lay under it, turn the wheels and count for a ball park.

What tranny are you running?
Tire size?
3.55 is a good all around gear, not to low or steep.

Rebuilt 904, maybe 5000 km on it since I put it in. 14" BFG's.....not sure the size off the top of my head. I'm about a 6 hour drive away from the car so I can't even check! I was going to continue running the little tires, as they are quite cheap and fun to replace!

Thats a locker....

What are you doing with the car or what are you thinking of doing. .

Locker???? Don't know where you got that information

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZmsY2YvVsc&feature=youtube_gdata_player"]Exploded View - Inside the Eaton TrueTrac Differential - YouTube[/ame]

Thanks abodyjoe. Is that what your running in your Swinger? What gear ration are you running?

I'm just running a 2.94 open rear at this point. But that unit is on my list of things to buy. I know a couple guys running them and they really like it.

No, the Truetrac is not a locker. It's a torque sensing gear driven limited slip differential. Big difference.

http://www.eaton.com/Eaton/Products...utomotiveAftermarket/Differentials/PCT_221471

"The Detroit Truetrac was the first helical gear differential ever introduced into the automotive aftermarket as an Eaton brand. It remains the leading helical gear-type LIMITED SLIP differential in the industry. Detroit Truetrac's proven helical gear design eliminates the need for wearable parts, resulting in maintenance free traction recognized not only for its toughness, but its smooth and quiet operation as well. Proven design, low cost and effective performance all make the Detroit Truetrac LIMITED SLIP differential the ideal choice for a wide variety of vehicle applications. No maintenance - Just Traction."

That's straight off the Eaton site. I think they know what they build.

I guess you didn't see the link, try it and see it says locker....not true trac, shows a pic of a true trac, it says locker. . . ...

$509.95 Differential, Eaton Detroit Locker, 30-Spline, .

I see a pic of one, but it says locker.... as shown above in red
I have been selling eaton for a long time, truetrac and locker do not belong in the same description.

The True Trac and Detroit Locker are two completely different animals. One is a locker and one is a gear driven limited slip unit. For someone supposedly in the drive train business, It sure seems like you don't know very much. It says "Detroit Locker" because that's the name brand that Summit sells it under. Did you even read the Eaton link I provided? Straight off the EATON page. You know, EATON, the company that makes the frikkin thing? EATON, they call it a LIMITED SLIP. LIMITED SLIP. LIMITED SLIP. Damn you sure are thick. It'll be a cold day in HELL before I ever send you any business.

You posted the link that you apparently didn't read, see above i highlighted the part where it says locker in red...

I only clarified what you linked, it does have the A in the part #, but they have it as locker, usually the lockers are S, pointing out the description

the link is correct. apparently you didn't read the ad.. :) it is confusing the way they have it worded there ,but look at the picture and description. its not the "locker" it is the true trac..

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/DTL-913A572/
Detroit Locker 913A572 - Eaton Detroit Truetrac Differentials

large image
Image is a representation of this part. Actual part may vary.

$509.95

+ Wish List
+ compare
Differential, Eaton Detroit Locker, 30-Spline, Chrysler, 8.75 in., Each

Application Specific Part: Check Application
Estimated Ship Date: Today

Email
Overview
Application
Show All
Large ImageVideo

Brand Detroit Locker
Manufacturer's Part Number 913A572
Part Type Differential Carriers
Product Line Eaton Detroit Truetrac Differentials
Summit Racing Part Number DTL-913A572

Aftermarket Carrier Style Detroit Truetrac
Cover Bolts 10
Axle Shaft Spline Quantity 30
Manufacturer of Axle Chrysler
Carrier Material Steel
Quantity Sold individually.
Notes Fits 2.76-4.56 gear ratios.

These Eaton Detroit Truetrac differentials use a patented design of parallel-axis planetary helix gears to provide a quiet, automatic splitting of torque. They perform like an open differential under normal driving conditions, automatically transferring torque to the wheel with better traction when ground conditions warrant.

It wasn't confusing to me and I am not in the drive line business for a living. Dammit.

Again, a picture does not mean that is what you are getting, and again there description is wrong...

So if you want to be thick and not question it and maybe make sure it is what it is then fine, i did point it out as per what they described, and confusing or not don't be stupid and just not question it.

the link is correct. apparently you didn't read the ad.. :) it is confusing the way they have it worded there ,but look at the picture and description. its not the "locker" it is the true trac..

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/DTL-913A572/

Detroit Locker 913A572 - Eaton Detroit Truetrac Differentials

large image

Image is a representation of this part. Actual part may vary.

$509.95

+ Wish List

+ compare

Differential, Eaton Detroit Locker, 30-Spline, Chrysler, 8.75 in., Each

Application Specific Part: Check Application
Estimated Ship Date: Today

Email

Overview
Application
Show All
Large ImageVideo

Brand Detroit Locker

Manufacturer's Part Number 913A572
Part Type Differential Carriers
Product Line Eaton Detroit Truetrac Differentials

Summit Racing Part Number DTL-913A572

Aftermarket Carrier Style Detroit Truetrac

Cover Bolts 10
Axle Shaft Spline Quantity 30
Manufacturer of Axle Chrysler
Carrier Material Steel
Quantity Sold individually.
Notes Fits 2.76-4.56 gear ratios.

These Eaton Detroit Truetrac differentials use a patented design of parallel-axis planetary helix gears to provide a quiet, automatic splitting of torque. They perform like an open differential under normal driving conditions, automatically transferring torque to the wheel with better traction when ground conditions warrant.

Now last time for the both of you.....

Eaton Truetrac and Eaton Detroit Locker DO NOT ever BELONG in the SAME description of said part, they ARE NOT the SAME and never should SHARE the same description....

If you want to just close your eyes and make said order, if they screw up and send you a locker, then well you got what they described. . didn't you

Google the damn part number in that link it's correct. Comes up numerous places listed the same way. Listed in the description it says it's a tru trac numerous times. Don't know what else to tell ya.

The True Trac and Detroit Locker are two completely different animals. One is a locker and one is a gear driven limited slip unit. For someone supposedly in the drive train business, It sure seems like you don't know very much. It says "Detroit Locker" because that's the name brand that Summit sells it under. Did you even read the Eaton link I provided? Straight off the EATON page. You know, EATON, the company that makes the frikkin thing? EATON, they call it a LIMITED SLIP. LIMITED SLIP. LIMITED SLIP. Damn you sure are thick. It'll be a cold day in HELL before I ever send you any business.

So summit is stupid and have no clue wth they are selling and I am pointing out to you BUYER BEWARE.......

The description and part brand ARE WRONG....

Why are you both being so clearly argumentative on summits F up and trying to say on any level they are right and making the issue here

And EATON is right, as am I, it is a limited slip..... there are types of limited slips,..... Clutches, cones, and helical gear styles...

So why would anyone selling a limited slip use the term and print it ANYWHERE that they are a LOCKER. . . .

I do not want your business im not here for business and apparently pointing out wrong things is a problem which is why i come to many forums, you apparently want to go thru life saying and describing the wrong thing. . .

You're problem as is mine is with there description eventually you'll see that stupidity or continue further making my same point but doing it blindly.

And still he argues. BWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!

Like I said. Google the part number. Is it correct or not?

I had said they have the A denotation for it to be a TT and not a S, still doesn't mean it's right.
There are a few mistakes in there description as i highlighted.

Arguing is what you're doing strokerscamp and not even seeing what it is you're arguing

-
Back