What relay is this?

-

DusTed74

Reaction score
Can someone I.D. this relay. I do not see this on my wireing diagram. This is on a '74 Dart Sport. It was originaly a 6 cyllinder with a/c if that helps.

Thanks in advance.................Ted

Attachments

• DSC04274.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 351
Yep, seat belt interlock. Best thing you can do with it is seal it up in a couple of yards of concrete and call the bomb squad for proper disposal.

That thing has two yellow/ yellow tracer wires. You want to jumper them together. They are in series with the contacts in that relay for your "start wire" from the key to the starter relay.

So you're saying, I can just splice the 2 yellows together and I'm good to go. Correct?

Thanks for the help guys!!!
That ugly thing has been driving me nuts since I bought this car.

Thanks again..................Ted

OK, I'm going to have a chance to work on this thing this week. But I have a few more questions.
After I splice the 2 yellow wires together can I eliminate the relay all together? If so where do the other wires go to, and can I eliminate them as well? I'm attempting to clean up my engine compartment and the wireing.

Thanks again...............Ted

That thing is not a relay, it is a switch that allows you to manually override the interlock if the interlock craps out. Once bypassed, chuck it.

If you wear your seat belts anyway , you won't have to disconnect any of it . There was also a Chrysler bypass box that would eliminate the interlock system . It just plugs into the "computer " that activated the interlock system . I have one in my stash somewhere . No cut wires , plug it in and forget it .

That thing is not a relay, it is a switch that allows you to manually override the interlock if the interlock craps out. Once bypassed, chuck it.

Actually it more correctly is a relay. The red button is the reset. It is tripped off (depending on the year) from the controller under the dash upon a problem condition. I don't remember if it's magnetic or thermal.

So far as removing it, I would find an yank the control unit out under the dash, and this "box." Some of the other wires may have power, so you need to chase them down or tape them off.

What gripes my *** is that Ma has more space in the manual about servicing the horns than they do this entire system.

Here's a video about 'em

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=3xXtmlSHtIQ"]Chrysler Master Tech - 1974, Volume 74-1 Seat Belt Starter Interlock - YouTube[/ame]

Pretty cool video!

Something just came to mind. When I bought this car last year The wireing in the engine compartment was awefull. So I set out to tidy it up. While I was doing this I noticed a wire running outside of the harness down to the starter relay. I could tell that it wasnt factory. I followed it into the car and up the steering column where it spliced into the yellow wire from the key switch.
So now I'm thinking that he had some sort of issue with the start ciciut and just bypassed evrything and hot wired the key switch right to the starter relay as an earlier car would be.

-
Back