what shifter handle to buy?

-

racerbob

Reaction score
and where to buy it??

I have an OD 833 for my 1967 barracuda convertible, I plan on converting it to use a 4 speed floor shifter without console (just a chrome ring around a rubber boot mounted on the big hump I will install soon.

The F-body OEM shifter that came with the transmission is pretty worn out, but I have an old hurst competion plus shifter body that appears to be in better shape. I will need to buy a shifter handle for this to use in place of the oem mopar shifter.

My question is what handle should I buy that will be compatable with my non-console equipped bucket seat 1967 plymouth barracuda???

Any suggestions?

will an E-body pistol grip handle work??

Bob

For a 67, I would try to find an Inland shifter handle. The one with the reverse "T" that you pull to put the car in reverse.

Then.... I would have it modified by a competent machinist/welder to fit a Hurst.

You can't see the "T" but it's just below the ball.

IMG_0083.jpg

I like the one that looks like brass knuckles.....not sure where I saw them sorry......

This is the correct Hurst replacement for the '67 Inland. See if you can find one.

Hurst'67.jpg

I bought a hand grenade I intend to use for my shifter handle

why? its like a pistol grip style

why? its like a pistol grip style
I've never owned an automatic trans car or truck in my life. I started racing a 4-speed '68 GTO when I was 15. I've gone through 3 GTOs including a '68 H.O. car, a '69 Judge, and the Old Dominion B/FX '65 421 Tripower goat. I've also owned half a dozen 4-speed Mopars; since the only 4-speed Poncho I didn't break the Muncie in was that B/FX car. Currently have a '71 Demon 4-speed and a '66 Dart GT 4-speed drag car with a S/S slickshift Hemi 18 spline. The worst shift knobs I have ever run across were 1.) the Mopar pistol grip, and 2.) the T-handle in that '69 Judge. As a matter of fact the first thing I did when I got that Judge home was pull off the T-handle and replace it with a plain round Hurst knob. I put the T-handle on a beer tap which I still have today. That particular joystick looking thing would be impossible for me to speed shift, and back in the day that mis-shift would have probably resulted in some severely stretched rods and alot of $$$. Just my opinion.

hey outsider, i appreciate your opinion...ive actually contemplated the same thing...ive never really owned a stick car, and ive only driven my buddys (with a round knob)..it was comfortable, but i wanted a button on my shift knob, and i just figure that even if i go with one of the different hurst round knobs that have the button on top or on the side, i may accidentally hit it...ive never actually driven a pistol grip before, and have always wondering how that handle would feel for shifting gears, but i do like the looks the above hurst one and the convenient button location on it as well...have you ever used a round ball shift knob with a button on it? how did it work out for you?

hey outsider, i appreciate your opinion...ive actually contemplated the same thing...ive never really owned a stick car, and ive only driven my buddys (with a round knob)..it was comfortable, but i wanted a button on my shift knob, and i just figure that even if i go with one of the different hurst round knobs that have the button on top or on the side, i may accidentally hit it...ive never actually driven a pistol grip before, and have always wondering how that handle would feel for shifting gears, but i do like the looks the above hurst one and the convenient button location on it as well...have you ever used a round ball shift knob with a button on it? how did it work out for you?
I've never used one of them. I would guess it would work very well. It may not be the coolest looking knob, but the plain round ball is impossible to beat.

I've never used one of them. I would guess it would work very well. It may not be the coolest looking knob, but the plain round ball is impossible to beat.

I meant one with a button on it for some sort of gadget...ever used a ball with one like that?

I meant one with a button on it for some sort of gadget...ever used a ball with one like that?

Before I swapped a four speed for my 727, I used a Hurst Quarter Stick shifter with a round knob and line lock button on top.
I didn't like it. In order to push the button you have to put your hand on the side of the knob with your thumb.
It was hard, for me anyway, to shift gears while holding the button down.
I can see where the pistol style grip with a button on top will work better because your thumb rests on top of the grip.

-
Back