What Shifter/Tranny Do I Have? STIFF SPRINGS!

-

Wilnutt

Reaction score
Hello,
I just bought a new toy and was told it was upgraded with a TKO 5-speed. I've since dug in and it looks like it was a Keisler Perfect Fit TKO. I'm not sure if it's a 500 or 600. Any sure fire way to tell?

Also, the shifter is ridiculously stiff from side to side, my wife can't even move the shifter. Any thoughts here? I'm thinking maybe it's the spring(s)? I've done digging but can't find anything as it's not your average shifter (In pics). It's the Blue one built by Keisler and isn't your standard Red Tremec shifter, which you can open up the sides and pull out the springs. Anyone ever deal with one of these before?

Shifter1.jpg

Shifter2.jpg

Shifter3.jpg

The 500 has a 3.27:1 first gear, the 600 has a 2.87:1 first gear. I think the cases are the same. With the trans in the car you could count the rotations of the engine while the drive shaft turns once. Silver Sport Transmissions (shiftsst.com) can answer questions about the shifter.

The 500 has a 3.27:1 first gear, the 600 has a 2.87:1 first gear. I think the cases are the same. With the trans in the car you could count the rotations of the engine while the drive shaft turns once. Silver Sport Transmissions (shiftsst.com) can answer questions about the shifter.
Thanks, I'll look into it. :)

Thanks, I'll look into it. :)
Heard you might need some help?

Your A-body used the stock rear location on the Tremec and yes, it looks like Keisler replaced the stock red Tremec factory shifter with their version. The good news is, I worked for that company and now for Silver Sport so I have first hand knowledge on this.

You mentioned it is very stiff going side to side in the neutral gate, does it go forward and rearward into the gears or is that stiff too? In your 1st picture above, the 2 counter sunk allen screws can be removed and pull up on the shifter to remove it from the top of the transmission. Once that is out, check the plastic "cup" that is in the shifter rail. The bottom of the shifter stub (the piece your shifter handle is bolted to) is seated in this "cup" when it is all assembled. You can actually use a extension to "act" as a shifter and see if the rail goes side to side (mimicking the shifter handle side to side action) in the neutral gate. If that is fine, then the issue is in the shifter assembly. If it is as stiff we may have to go deeper. If you look at the underside of the Keisler shifter mechanism once removed, you will see 2 smaller counter sunk allens that can be removed which allows access to the springs. There really isn't anything that go wrong if you open up the shifter mechanism, just take care not to lose the springs. The rest of the good news here is, the shifter mechanism we use here at Silver Sport is built upon that design so if need be, I should be able to come up with something to get it corrected and get you back on the road instead of sitting on the sidelines. :thumbsup:

You can contact me if you look in my profile, my email and contact info will be there and I will do my best to keep en eye on this thread as well.

Richard
Technical Support
Silver Sport Transmissions

It's actually a C4 Corvette. Don't banish me from the site now, as it's for my wife who's a bowtie girl. ;-)

I took the Allen heads out and the shifter did not disengage. It moves fine in all gears, it's just the left to right in neutral.

Okay,
I've spent the day cutting, grinding, and working to get the shifter out. Got it! But, I don't think this is the problem. :-/

When the shifter is out, there's no binding in the shifter. the springs aren't "light" by any means, but it's definitely fluid in motion. Which leads me to the linkage.

The linkage looks in good physical condition and the plastic "cup" looks good as well. When I push up and down (Towards pavement and roof) on the linkage, it's notchy but smooth. Left to right (Door to door), there's no play and is very stiff. Front to back (Engine to trunk), I can move it, with enough force, and it feels notchy and like it's moving through gears.

Does this help at all? What's my next step in the troubleshooting?

Got the plate off and it looks great underneath. I have no clue where to go next... I guess I need to get an understanding on how the linkage out back functions, because it's smooth up and down and in every gate. Just not the neutral area. I've attached a link to the video and will upload some photos later tonight.

20170304_172744.jpg

20170304_172738.jpg

-
Back