What size alum rads fit early a's?

-

GoodysGotaCuda

Mr. Goody
Reaction score
I picked up a aluminum radiator from a friend of mine he decided not to use. It looks too small for an e, b, probably even a late A body. I was wondering what size aluminum radiators were being put in these cars?

Thanks!
-Mike

Slants got 19 inchers. I believe some some 273's got the same (in 64 and maybe 65) as well as 22 inchers.

Well off the shelf threre is nothing to my knowledge that will fit in the stcok location anymore. You have to modify the core support or go custom.

But on and Early A they are core is 19”x17” without the brackets about 2" thick, top tank is old B body style about 4 1/8 wide.

Most all aftermarkets are made for the 67 and up and are 22" wide

Take a look at Rock Auto for a 70 Dart. They list the specs for standard and HD cooling. The HDs are less $$, also what water pump are you using? The early style is on the drivers side, most of these radiators are on the pass side for the lower hose which is the later water pump.

Late model specs like a 70.
17 x 22 x 1 1/4 HD
17 1/4 x 18 5/8 x 1 1/4 non HD

hope this helps some?

The 65 and 66 cars used a core support which would accept a regular 22" Mopar radiator. A later radiator will fit, just use the appropriate water pump and lower hose. 63 and most 64 card used a 19" radiator and have a smaller hole in the core support. You can always make the hole bigger...

I got the 22" from Ron @ FBO - So if the one you have is 22", I'm sure you can get it to fit. If you get the brackets rewelded, make sure to think about forward and aft location in order to keep room for a fan.

-
Back