What size brakes?

-

olddman

Reaction score
All right guys I need your help again!!!! I have a 1965 Dart GT and need your help about the brakes on the rear and front. When I got the car the rear end had been changed out to a 8 3/4, axle number 2881489 with Borg Warner Spin Resistant. Can someone tell me what size brake drum and shoe should be used with this rear end and what size on the front?
Went out and measured the drums:
Rear drums: 10 inch
Depth of drum (where shoes comes in contact): 2 inches
Shoes: 1 3/4 inch wide
Front drums: 10 inch
Depth of drum (where shoes come in contact): 3 inches
Front shoes: 1 3/4 inch wide
This does not seem to be right.

The rears I think are correct
As to the fronts ,the backing plate determines the shoe size. If the wheel cylinder push pins line up on the assembled system, without running at an angle relative to the car's centerline; then they are the correct shoe for the plate. And if the drum does not rub on the backing plate,or anything else, after it is properly installed and adjusted, then it too should be correct.
It is possible to install wrong,wider linings on the plate, but the pins will run on an angle.
It is possible to install too-narrow drum on the spindle, but the shoes will stick out the backside.
It is might be possible to install a too-wide drum on there, which as long as it does not rub on anything, at any time, should not matter.
I am not familiar with the early A's, but as far as I know, there was only one width front 10 inch drum ever fitted to our 67 to 72 A's.

Last edited:
I knew that someone would be able to answer my question. Just did not look right and wanted to be sure brakes were correct. Thanks!!

post #2 sounds spot-on. I think Mopar A-bodies would be the only vehicles w/ SBP 10" drums, and especially w/ the proper center register hole. Re dimensions, go the rockauto. The Centric drums usually have a drawing with most dimensions.

If that rear-end is SBP and the correct width for an A-body, sounds like a rare and valuable part. Check the fender tag since you may have the very desired 65 Dart Charger, and a European member with that name would be interested.

-
Back