what size carb ?

-
Here. this is what you want to look for in a Thermoquad. See how the front is much more plain than yours? It lacks that funky vacuum outlet on the left. These are the carbs best suited for performance applications. David's site can give you some numbers to look for. And no, you can't have this one. LMAO

TQ.jpg

Just a note on what I said about them cracking. I have seen 2 cracked in the 28 yrs. I've been doing carbs. Done numerous TQ's that weren't cracked so it is a small percentage that has the problem. The ones I saw had internal cracks so I don't think it was from dropping them. I figured it was cause they got hot and the expansion and contraction cracked a weak spot. Just a guess though. I have heard of them warping also but I've never seen any warped. Yes the fuel wells are easy to fix if their leaking. Just mentioned it so he'd know about the potential problems.

Just a note on what I said about them cracking. I have seen 2 cracked in the 28 yrs. I've been doing carbs. Done numerous TQ's that weren't cracked so it is a small percentage that has the problem. The ones I saw had internal cracks so I don't think it was from dropping them. I figured it was cause they got hot and the expansion and contraction cracked a weak spot. Just a guess though. I have heard of them warping also but I've never seen any warped. Yes the fuel wells are easy to fix if their leaking. Just mentioned it so he'd know about the potential problems.

..and you're probably dead on the money. it's that the only cracked bodies I've seen are ones I did myself. LMAO. I epoxied um back together with great success, though. lol. By all means, to the OP, check that body out GOOD. Since seein this, I'm gonna start inspectin all mine with a magnifying glass. Literally.

Also, to the OP, i said chunk that carb.....I didn't mean literally. Keep it. you might can use it for parts. It's just not desirable to run in a performance application at ALL.

I've had one crack on me while driving. WHEW! What a stink.
One warped on me.

That T-Q is best suited for a daily driver. Keep it for the rods and jets.

Theres several different T-Q plastic bodies used through out the years. They all do not swap. There actually, rather touchy on what middle bowl you use with what top.

would a 2146 thermoquad be the right year of carb ? craigslist $65

i also have a 484-284 purple cam i could put in the 340. would that be a better cam to run with the torker and 750 holley, even though i have 3.21/2200.

would a 2146 thermoquad be the right year of carb ? craigslist $65

that is not the number you are looking for...

look near where the bolts go the base of the carb...should be a 6xxx or 9xxx

73 340 should have a 6139 with an A for Auto...S for standard shift

65 dollars plus a kit to rebuilt it.....then if the bowl is warped...where do you get a new fuel bowl...

and what if the throttle shafts are worn....need to re-bush them....

buy a good holley 750 and you will money ahead..PLUS parts are available today....

i also have a 484-284 purple cam i could put in the 340. would that be a better cam to run with the torker and 750 holley, even though i have 3.21/2200.

Not really, The MP cams have more overlap & higher dur.@50 for there low lifts compaired to other cams, so they have lower manifold vacuum signals, there basically a "lazy" profile, not that this is bad because its not, but you tend to need more converter/gear/compression & a quicker timing curve to make them work well, It will be a tad lazy down low with those gears & converter, If i ran the .484, i'd run at least a 3.55 & a 2800-3000 stall.

Not really, The MP cams have more overlap & higher dur.@50 for there low lifts compaired to other cams, so they have lower manifold vacuum signals, there basically a "lazy" profile, not that this is bad because its not, but you tend to need more converter/gear/compression & a quicker timing curve to make them work well, It will be a tad lazy down low with those gears & converter, If i ran the .484, i'd run at least a 3.55 & a 2800-3000 stall.

best MP cam description I've heard yet. best thing to do if you wanna run one is pick one or even two steps down from the one you think will work. real easy to overcam with them.

picked up a weiand 8007 dual plane and a holley 600 off craigslist for $150 . was told it was a 750 holley was more interested in the intake . only one thing concerns me is the non exsisting bypass fitting. has anyone ever had one like this and can it be fitted with one.

intake carb.jpg

manifold front.jpg

-
Back