What size socket for a 65 A-body 7.5" differential plug?

-

wh23g3g

Reaction score
I'm changing the fluid out in the differential of my 65 Valiant while I'm working on some other things under the car. The fluid was nasty but not the worse I've seen, no telling how long it's been in there. I just removed the whole cover because I couldn't tell what I needed to get the fill plug out. The whole rear axle is covered in mud so I had to scrape just to get to the cover bolts. I can't tell if the fill plug is a 1/2" ratchet head or a big hex head. I saw in the 65 parts catalog it's a 7/8-18 thread size plug. What tool do I need to unscrew it ratchet or what size hex head?

Actually your diff will be a 7 1/4 ring gear. The plug is not a Torx, it's just a "double square" 8-point socket-head plug. You might be able to get it out with a 1/2 extension bar end.

Yeah I got the plug taken out from a shop that didn't charge me. But they said I need to get a new plug. The only problem where can I get a new plug at? None of the local hardware stores have a 7/8-18" pipe plug or anything like it. Probably if I get a used one it will have been rounded out too. Is that 8 point socket something you can still get? I don't see it as a regular tool sold in auto parts stores. Is there anyone making a new plug or is there something else you can use in place of it? I'd like to have one in good useable condition at least. Do any of the later Mopar with the 7.25 still use the same style diff plug? I may be able to find a Valiant in the salvage yard.

Did you ever find a replacement bold for your differential? Just wondering because we have the same rear end and have to pull the bolt. I would like to be prepared in case we need a placement. Did you ever find out if there was an 8 point socket?

You should be ok using the extension, Clean the crap out of the inside of the bolt to make sure the extension can fit into the bolt tightly. probably have to hit the wrecker's to get a bolt, I couldn't find one new anywhere.

I changed out the fluid in my rear axle many months ago. I took the cover off and had someone with the tool get the plug out. I actually found an NOS filler plug so I bought it and am keeping it until I finish everything else. In the meantime while I was waiting for the NOS plug to arrive I found a large short hex bolt, it was as short as the original plug and I installed it. I can't remember but I think it was a 3/4 thread size. It works fine.

-
Back