what size torsion bar?

-

sniekamp

Reaction score
I have a 74 dart 4 door with a 318. The torsion bars are worn out, every time I turn one side dips pretty bad. Im assuming that's the problem anyway. But what size bar should I look to buy and what should i expect to pay?

Torsion bars do not wear out! Their rate remains the same throughout their life (they will stiffen immediately prior to failure). Like any spring they will settle, which is why Mopar gave us a handy screw to adjust ride height.

If your car "dips" more when turning one way than the other, suspect something has failed. Rear torsion bar mounts (got rust?), LCA mount in K-member and blown shocks are the most common. Take a look at the rear springs and their mounts as well.

The shocks are fresh. If they don't wear out why do people replace them? I didnt see more rust than expected when I looked at it. Just surface rust. Ill check the lower control arm mount but don't think anything is overly rusted. Maybe I just can't see it. Does that mean that the torsion bar is spinning a little inside the mounts? Other people I've talked to act like adjusting the screw is just changing the ride height and giving me more space to bottom my suspension out.

Many people like a stiffer suspension for handling. A thicker torsion bar will help to do that. It is necessary to go thicker when substituting a big block for a small block engine, which is what the factory did.

-
Back