What size trailer?

-

USCG CHARGER

Reaction score
I'd like to get a open car trailer for my Dart so I can go to all the tracks up and down the East coast. How long of a trailer should I be looking for and what do used ones usually go for?

Get at least 16 ft. BUT make sure it is a car trailer and not a double axle utility trailer. Make sure the tounge goes all the way to the front axle not just two feet under it. I reccomend a 18 or 19 foot double axle, tilt, and make sure you have a brake on one axle. I suggest a winch but it is not necessary.

I have a 16' but wish I would have bought an 18'. Used around here they go for $800 16' and about $1200 18'.

I would suggest at least 18' so you have some room to carry tools & equipment. You tend to carry alot of crap when you race. A utility box mounted on the front is a plus and a winch for if/when you break down... :stop: LOL

A tilt trailer is the best IMO....no ramps, but costs quite a bit more $$.

I had my trailer custom made by a local Mopar guy and trailer fab guy that specialized in enclosed trailers for karts.
15 ft deck,slide-out ramps, 4 wheel brakes and I supplied the tie-down winches and chains that we use on our big car carriers. I also specified the deck to top of fenders height so I could open the door on the Dart.
Duckbuster is spot on about the togue framework going all the way to the axle. It really makes the trailer stiff and spreads out the torque load thru half the trailer instead of the first 1 or 2 crossmembers.

Notice the winches and chains
P7161782.jpg

Notice the extended tongue framework.
P7291863.jpg

Slideout ramps are great.
P7071753.jpg

Oh yeah, one thing I forgot is removeable fenders. They are a God send unless you like crawling out the window on most trailers.......8)

Now you know why I specified the fender height. I have 1/2 inch clearence.
When I tie the car down, you can't open the doors. If you want to steal anything out of it you have to break a window.
Removable or fold-down fenders like to rattle around alot and if you blow a trailer tire, it will take the fender off and mess up your car.
My fenders are stich welded every 4 inches. You can walk on them and they will not flex. I blew my left front tire and all it did was take the paint off the inside of the fender.

This is my wife's Dart on a 18'. I actually had room to mount a truck box in front of the car which had all my tools, a winch (cable and hook through box) and a battery. I sold it to my buddy who borrowed it all the time anyway.

My next one will be a used 20' enclosed.

X2 on the electric brake thing.

Dart on trailer.jpg

I was going to get me an enclosed trailer that way I could sleep in it too and keep the stuff you are hauling dry. Plus I like to go out to Glamis and camp out and need some thig to stay in and haule the dune buggy out there with. Just need it to be big enough to hold my car and/or the buggy and I am good to go. How long is up to how long you need it to be for what you need it for.

I would recomend that you get a trailer with brakes on both axles. A solid deck will add a little weight, but comes in handy when you use the trailer for other items.

I would recomend that you get a trailer with brakes on both axles. A solid deck will add a little weight, but comes in handy when you use the trailer for other items.

yep

I have a low deck 18ft, 4 wheel brakes, solid deck with the fenders low enough so I can still open the doors. Also after this pic was taken we remounted the wince in a different location.

It's nice to have.

DCP_4299.jpg

i lucked out and got a 24' car trailer for 1K from a buddy of mine that he used to haul his dragster around. was custom made with removable fenders and a slight dove tail for a better transition when loading cars.

I've got an '06 Brimar 16' trailer tows very nice,and is a perfect size for my duster i bought it new but i'm sure used ones are around..

-
Back