What stall speed do I need

-

Moparnutt340

Reaction score
I have a 71 Swinger, installing a 408 stroker 500HP/525TQ, TF 727, 8.75 rear / 3.55 suregrip, 28" tall tire. The car will be street driven including some highway trips.
I was thinking 3800 stall, what do you think is best?

I have a 71 Swinger, installing a 408 stroker 500HP/525TQ, TF 727, 8.75 rear / 3.55 suregrip, 28" tall tire. The car will be street driven including some highway trips.

You would be best to call a Converter builder give them the exact specs of your engine/car and have one built specifically for you. I have same set up as you pretty much. I called Lenny at Ultimate Converter and he built me a street strip 9.5" converter. It stalls with foot brake to right around 3800rpm, Transbrake he said it will stall more. I also have a 200 Hit of NOS on mine so the stall will most likely flash in the 4500 or so range with T Brake and NOS Hit out of the hole.

I drive my car everywhere and have put up to 300 miles on it in only stopping for fuel. You would not know there is a converter in it until you smash the go pedal. Very Docile. Solid Roller Cam & Spool too! Everything that they say you should not do on the street I am doing with success! Lol

Not sure what the cam is, Mike at MRL Performance is building the engine
It's a roller motor with alum heads, 10:1 compression

I was using a 3400 currently and a guy told me I may want to go with a 3800 with the new setup. I just wanted to see what others might recommend.
I know for sure I won't go lower than the 3400, but if more will be better I will go up

Thanks Mad Dart, that tells me I would be in the right neighbourhood with 3800

What ET you running ?

Not sure what the cam is, Mike at MRL Performance is building the engine
It's a roller motor with alum heads, 10:1 compression

I was using a 3400 currently and a guy told me I may want to go with a 3800 with the new setup. I just wanted to see what others might recommend.
I know for sure I won't go lower than the 3400, but if more will be better I will go up

Stall depends on the TORQUE of your set up. Put an off the shelf 3000 stall on a 700HP/650tq set up I bet it will flash to 6000 Rpm.

I would probably try what you have first. I bet you get 4K Stall out of it with your new set up.

What brand converter is it and what size is it that you have now?

Thanks Mad Dart, that tells me I would be in the right neighbourhood with 3800

What ET you running ?

I haven't ran it yet. I just added a Vac Pump this weekend and I need to install my TB Valve Body too along with changing out the coolant to Water Wetter to be track ready. I am sure I am missing a few odds and ends that need to be taken care of as well. Almost there but no Cigar just yet. :D

It's a cheap B&M converter that I have and it works like a stock converter, junk
I plan to buy a good one this time, already have a buyer for the B&M

If you just "guess" and take recommendations from he said she said, you could very well be leaving a lot of driveability AND performance on the table.

Your best bet is to call a converter builder after the engine is done and dyno'd and have one specifically built for your car. My theory is do it once and do it correctly the first time, especially with a converter, it can make or break your combo..

They will want tons of info from you, weight of the car, intended usage, complete engine specs, trans, rear gear, tire size and on and on.

You would be best to call a Converter builder give them the exact specs of your engine/car and have one built specifically for you.

Mad Dart is dead on.

Did you talk to Mike yet about what stall he'd recommend or did he just defer to contacting a custom shop?

Give all your specs to a converter company they will recommend a stall for you. its your best option.:cheers:

Still better to have one specifically built for your car and how you intend to drive it, IMO.

It's just too easy to have one built anymore rather than buying an off the shelf converter. Remember it's the critical link between your engine and the rear, and the performance of the entire package.

Still better to have one specifically built for your car and how you intend to drive it, IMO.

It's just too easy to have one built anymore rather than buying an off the shelf converter. Remember it's the critical link between your engine and the rear, and the performance of the entire package.

I've sent my info to 3 places now and waiting to hear back from them.
What is a fair price for a custom converter ?
I did see a price from one place online of $608, but I don't know if that is a set price for whatever I want or just a basic converter price they had advertised.

The last time I checked with PTC, it was around 700. I have changed direction a couple of times, so I have yet to think about ordering until I get my combo together. THEN, I will order, lol.

I have an off the shelf TCI rated at 3200, a 10". My first setup was 4.30s with 29" tall m/t, I now run 3.55s with 26" tall drag radials, with both set ups and the big TQ of the stroker it's tire smouldering at its finest. Like mentioned before it probably flashes higher then rated with the 558tq. I don't look at my tach much so I couldn't say for sure. I just drive on the street, so it's plenty loose enough.

And here's the usual warning, DONT buy anything from TCI. My street fighter 727 and the converter were both hooped from the get go. I think I had 8 miles on them before they both got rebuilt, talk about top quality stuff. I missed all the warnings 3.5 yrs ago when I bought.

Mike's not stupid. Ask him what he thinks. He's building the damned thing. He'll have they dyno numbers and torque curve right in front of him. duhhhhhh

Mike's not stupid. Ask him what he thinks. He's building the damned thing. He'll have they dyno numbers and torque curve right in front of him. duhhhhhh

Agreed!!! Ask the man,costs you nothing. No off the shelf parts here, please. Spend the coin here , please.

call dynamic,ptc and ultimate converters and get one built to your combo and intended use. you won't be sorry. it may give ya some sticker shock but it will be well worth it.. when talking with them be 100% honest about your combination and intended use. if you are not you won't be happy with the converter.

i've heard nothing but good things about the three companies i have listed. i have personally used a dynamic and the thing was incredible.

http://dynamicconverters.com/

http://www.ptcrace.com/

http://www.ultimateconverter.com/

call dynamic,ptc and ultimate converters and get one built to your combo and intended use. you won't be sorry. it may give ya some sticker shock but it will be well worth it.. when talking with them be 100% honest about your combination and intended use. if you are not you won't be happy with the converter.

i've heard nothing but good things about the three companies i have listed. i have personally used a dynamic and the thing was incredible.

http://dynamicconverters.com/

http://www.ptcrace.com/

http://www.ultimateconverter.com/

on the other hand, I`ve always matched my convertor to my cam myself. so far so good---bob

-
Back