what starter to use??

-

frederick_76

Reaction score
Hello all, i just droped in my 360 w/ 4 speed, in a 69 Valiant, the starter i have is off my 727. I thought it would fit the 4 speed, well it dont! What starter is anyone useing with my set up?? The bell is around 1967, with a 10.5" flywheel.. Any ideas?? Thanks... Dennis.

What manifolds? I've used the same starter with a 4 spd and 727 with 74 360 manifolds with no problem. I do have a newer starter from a 92 318 waiting to be tried.

If it's a clearance issue your having, you can use a mini starter from a newer vehicle like a 95 Dakota with a 5.2 liter (318) engine, If you have an Autozone near you or some major chain, there fairly cheap.

Yes, its a clearance isue. Cant slide the snout of the starter passed the flywheel, I really hope its not a problem with the 10.5" flywheel... Have you tryed a newer starter from the 95 dakota?

I also use the late model "mini starter". I too wonder if you have a mismatched part. Are you able to get a straight shot at installing it? Are you hitting the header. I think that was my issue.

Yes I'm running a mini starter in my duster with TTI headers, as the original starter was to tight, and the wires would have hit the header pipes.

Yes, its a clearance isue. Cant slide the snout of the starter passed the flywheel, I really hope its not a problem with the 10.5" flywheel... Have you tryed a newer starter from the 95 dakota?

Do I understand you have an old style Mopar ("non mini") ?

If this is so, it's not the starter that is the problem.

ALL and I mean ALL gear reduction starters fit slants, passenger SB BB and RB engines

Only ones different are some non-gear reduction industrial and heavy truck, and the older (392) and 2nd gen. (426) hemis.

If you dont have the flywheel and bellhousing match its not going to work.If the flywheel is bigger and you cant see the full hole in the bellhousing that the starter snout fits into you you will either have to replace the bellhousing or the flywheel to a matching set.

Yes the starter im trying to use is "old Style" non-mini. There is no issue with the exhaust. Got a clean stright shot at the bell. It just looks like the flywheel is too big and wont let me slide the starter all the way in. And I did just try a starter for a 95 Dakota 5.2l, it went in a bit more, but still wont seat fully in....

Yes the starter im trying to use is "old Style" non-mini. There is no issue with the exhaust. Got a clean stright shot at the bell. It just looks like the flywheel is too big and wont let me slide the starter all the way in. And I did just try a starter for a 95 Dakota 5.2l, it went in a bit more, but still wont seat fully in....

It's not a starter problem. You have a bell/ ring gear mismatch

Thats not what i wanted to hear.... that sucks.. The bell is around 1967 340, the flywheel is 142 tooth centerforce.. if that helps?? I do have a larger bell that i could try...

looks smaller, i think its for a smaller flywheel, i got another bell im going to try, looks like its bigger... Im going to pull the motor and trany tonight, ill let ya know what i find out.. thanks for all the info guys!...

Bingo!! you need the 130 tooth flywheel! The 143 is a truck flywheel and if you try to use it the starter won't fit. 143 tooth is for a 11 inch clutch, you should be using a 10 1/2 ", 130 tooth setup with that bell.

ahh, well it didnt take to long to pull the motor and trans, didnt have alot hooked up, just exhaust and rad hoses. Bolted the aluminium bell on and the starter bolts up no problem. Now to drop it back in and see if i can get to where i was befor the starter issue.. Thanks everyone for the help.
Oh yah, its a 130 tooth flywheel centerforce p/n 700460. Must have been a small bell all a long....
I looked up the p/n on the small bell and here is what i found..

http://www.bhwincvintageauto.com/ca...uth_Barracuda_4spd_Bell_Housing_Mopar_2465523

Its for sale if ya want it!!!

-
Back