What steering box do I need?

-

LocuMob

Fluid Technician
Reaction score
I'm going to be upgrading my 67 Dart to 73 up disc brakes. I have almost everything I need, but am not sure the manual steering gear is going to work. I have the 2537349 box. I only found 2 eBay listings that said it was for 61-74 cars. I found a parts interchange but it only went to 74 and had a different number for manual gear in 73 & 74, p/n 2948812 is what that listed. I have power steering in the car right now and I'm pretty sure the pitman arms are different for power vs manual. If anyone can tell me if this gear is right or wrong, or what part number(s) works, that would be super appreciated. Been going on 7 months of getting the last few pieces to do the swap and would hate to put it in, only to take it out. Thanks in advance.

If your power box or K frame has not been changed to the 73 and newer style you will have a small selector power box and it will use the same pitman arm as any A, B, and E body manual box. I believe C body power/manual boxes are all Large selector. In 73 they went to large selector in all power boxes.

If you verify the box you have works, you might look into having it rebuilt. Also consider a ratio change, as that 24:1 is a real drag on the street. Unless your going big block, you might consider having a stage 3 Firm Feel box. I just ditched my manual steering in favor of one, but my car is street only.

Going 68 k frame, big block, tti headers, so I need a manual box. I picked up 2 manual h xes some time ago and thought they were the correct ones, that's why I'm trying to determine what part number boxes are correct for 73 and later.iThe steering linkage I have is off a 73 and later Duster. At least that was my plan. If the box I have is the small sector, could I just reuse the 67 center link and later tie rods and be ok? I'm trying to get rid of the smaller weaker parts that were bolted on my 67.

Going 68 k frame, big block, tti headers, so I need a manual box. I picked up 2 manual h xes some time ago and thought they were the correct ones, that's why I'm trying to determine what part number boxes are correct for 73 and later.iThe steering linkage I have is off a 73 and later Duster. At least that was my plan. If the box I have is the small sector, could I just reuse the 67 center link and later tie rods and be ok? I'm trying to get rid of the smaller weaker parts that were bolted on my 67.

My 71 Scamp, is running the 73 up LBP discs, but I've kept the 72 down tie rods,center link etc... I'm also using a 67 or 68 manual steering box. Just make sure what ever Idler and Pitman you buy are for the correct center link as they are different. Otherwise any of the steering boxes should work out just fine. This pic may also help you in your search.

View attachment untitled.jpg

Thanks Straightline. I've had it in my head that I need the 73 up linkage for over a decade. Steering geometry or something like that. Good thing I've got linkage for both styles. I guess I'm all set then. Just need new bushings and I can build my replacement k frame suspension engine combo and try dropping the car over it instead of dropping the engine in! I don't think I'll get the car on the road this year (never know) but I should be ready for spring time. I sure do envy people in warmer climates. Thanks again.

If your power box or K frame has not been changed to the 73 and newer style you will have a small selector power box and it will use the same pitman arm as any A, B, and E body manual box. I believe C body power/manual boxes are all Large selector. In 73 they went to large selector in all power boxes.

If you verify the box you have works, you might look into having it rebuilt. Also consider a ratio change, as that 24:1 is a real drag on the street. Unless your going big block, you might consider having a stage 3 Firm Feel box. I just ditched my manual steering in favor of one, but my car is street only.

To explain this further, the K frame does not matter except for the idler arm.

A 68 --72 K frame will interchange with a 73 / later K with the following differences:

Different anti-sway bar mounting, and different motor mounts. The difference in 67 is the one-year mount for the idler arm

An earlier (small sector) manual box should bolt right up to your pitman.
========================
"Whut it is" The parts that MUST go together, 68/ later is:

Steering box must fit pitman. Pitman determines whether you use 73/ later or 72 / earlier center link, and the idler must go along with that, so those 4 parts must all go together
=========================

The 67 idler then, is the hangup. You can't use a large sector box, because you can't change the pitman / center link. So if that problem comes up, you must either go with a later K, or fabricate a bracket on your 67 K for the 68-72 or 73/ later pitman arm.

=========================

"Whut else"

The tabs on the LCAs for the anti sway bar are different for 67--72 from 73/ later. I'm told you can mount the EARLY sway bar on a 73 / later K but not the other way around...........the sway bar for 73/ later goes through the middle of the K

==========================

Tie rods vary, but you can use the early / late tie rods regardless of K member or of steering link. You must reset toe, however. if you change

My own 67 is a good example. It has had a mix of parts as I've changed my mind and upgraded, going first from power to manual box with factory 67 K, then to 73 K but with all other parts except motor mounts the same, and when it now goes back together will have a later model power box, with 73 K, sway bar, and later steering linkage. LCAs are also now late model to accomodate the 73 sway bar

Why this is so:

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=236925

-
Back