What steps to detail/restore paint?

-

porksoda

Reaction score
Well I want to know what would be the correct steps to detail/restore the paint on my 66 Dart?
Like I always here about polish, compound, claybar, and wax, but I am curious on what order they need to be done?
I was using some Turtle Wax brand Polish/Compound on the dart to help remove some of the oxidation. It would work good when I could get the compound off but the stuff dried up so fast it was super difficult to remove. I tried using my craftsman electric polisher and it wasnt much help either.
Any kits or brands you guys suggest?

Thanks alot!

I'm a self claimed body man lol if that helps.
What i would do is go to a body shop and pick up the finer of the scotch brights. Its white or black I can't remember which and start with that. see how much oxidation comes off. Its very similar to wet sanding just not as abrasive. Use water. Then dry it. Air dry or towel dry doesn't matter. You don't need to use a shami either b/c your still just scratching the paint right now. If it looks fog with no oxidation then start your polish and buff. Use the compound first, then polish, then clay bar, then wax. When doing it DO NOT REUSE THE BUFFING PADS. Wash them or use a new one. This is important. If you don't your just transferring grit. It that doesn't make sense its like taking a some sixty girt sand paper and putting a couple 32 grit grains in it.
Also if the is still some oxidation after the first stage go down a grit. Either the black or white i can't remember. You may even have to go down to the green one I won't recommend it though. Those scratches are way hard to get out.
Best of luck. Let me know if you need anymore help.
Also if what i posted reads like I'm talking to an ignorant person I mean no offense I just like to cover everything.
Correct me if i'm wrong please!

Do you have any detailed pics of the paint so we know where to start? Sometimes it's nice to go backwards with things like this so you don't start heavy and end up ruining and already aging paint job.

I like using Mequiars Gold Class liquid wax. I use a Makita orbital with a soft pad on it and go over the paint. Try "scrubbing" with it in a certain spot to see if it makes the paint look new again. If it doesn't then you'll need to go a step further which would be a foam pad with polishing compound on a buffer. If that doesn't do it then you need a wool pad with cutting compound on your buffer. If that doesn't do it either then you'll be getting into the wet sanding stages.

-
Back