What stupid things have you done?

-
in highschool i drove my duster everyday when it had the /6. i reemed the crap out of it cause i knew id be doing a v8 swap. one night while in town some guy in a 98 stang was cutting donuts. as a joke (because my car was a pile of crap then) i decided to give it a try. after doing abt 130 billion circles at full throttle the peg leg finally broke loose. it spun once and the drivers door came open. i flew out of the car, luckily my neck broke my fall. the car continued in a circle then died and slammed into a quard rail by the local walmart. i simply cannot discribe the feeling knowing you done such a thing. no damage was done to the duster, but after 5 years i still havent lived it down.

Stupid things I've done...
1) installed clutch disc backwards
2) tried to slowly lower a NP203 transfer case to my chest - that really hurt
3) dropped a tailgate on my dad's head - he was pretty good about it
4) My dad did this - had a 49 CJ2A up on jacks in 4 wheel drive with wheels spinning - decided to lower front end - hmmm, it drove off the jacks and pinned him up against the garage.

Oh and never use needle nose pliers to make spark plug wires because they can slip off and jam the end of the pliers under your thumb nail popping it off your thumb. So now you know I learned two things early in life.

How about getting your left index finger just close enough to a rotating power sander to pull your nail out while woodworking...LOL I still remember not noticing until I looked down at my finger and almost passed out. Miraculously it grew back perfectly, can't tell it happened.

Dumbest thing with my Duster was paying $320 to have downpipes fabricated instead of buying $180 ones from TTI. Or maybe it was driving to Breckenridge (2 hours through the Rockies) on a 318 2-bbl. with 115k miles and ORIGINAL TIMING SET..!! I swear I downshifted (floored + kickdown) at least 40 times each way. Funny thing is the timing chain finally jumped a few weeks later while slowly pulling out of a parking lot.

Before I knew better...
I bought a 4 spd manual trans off some wrinkled pos bum scum at el cajon swap meet only to find it's an od trans.

If you're reading this....I still have the main shaft from it and plan on beating your head to a triangular shape with it, can't wait too!

Oh, one more stupid thing. Dont quite know how i did it.

Timing a 73 Mustang with a 351. I was using a distributer wrench. I had the engine running when i was loosening the hold down bolt, I was standing on the right hand side, which may have been stupid, never had a issue before though.

When i was tightening it back up, the wrench slipped off, and my arm slipped down between the fan and the radiator, yikes, the fan shaved off a layer of skin, luckily thats the only thing it shaved off.

Didn't clean the galleys on a block one time and had the main bearings wash out on me.

Ran 165 psi seat double springs in on a fast rate solid cam and flattened 3 lobes on break in.

When I was a teen I used metal intake gaskets on an aluminum manifold, it smoked out one bank.

When I was 20yrs old I installed a late spline convertor to a early 904... needles to say it didn't move the car.

I didn't shut my hood one time and had pop up and bend the hinges..

I dropped 2 pump cam screws, one after the other, down the heat cross over hole in the driver side head..

I was doing a rear brake job on my old 64' Polara and made the mistake of using pliers to put the shoes back on, well I learned the hard way that you do not use pliers on springs especially when they slip and shoot back at your face.i almost lost my right eye. Luckily it hit me right next to my eye and even though it bled and hurt, it healed and all is well.

-
Back