What suspension do I have?

-

rymanrph

Reaction score
I recently bought a '68 Barracuda that doesn't have many original parts on it. The front suspension is well worn and needs an overhaul, but I need to know what parts to order.

I know it has the 5x4.5 bolt pattern, but that's about it. I was looking at PST's website and even their basic kit for '73 and up comes with sway bar end links. I don't have a sway bar much less an attachment point on the lower control arms.

I know I will need ball joints, but I haven't had a chance to inspect the control arm bushings or tie rod ends. Does have the larger bolt pattern automatically mean I have the larger ball joints?

Here is a shot of the passenger side. I just need to know what I have so I can order parts. Thanks.

DSC_0339_zpsa7cf51be.jpg

It appears you have the '73 + brakes and upper control arms(big ball joints), but you'll need to check your K-member to determine which idler & pitman arm to get. Studs pointing up are '72 & older (sandwich-style motor mounts), studs pointing EDIT - down are '73 and newer (spool mounts).

I believe the tie rods are the same and the lower control arms interchange. Just some have different sway bar mounts and others don't have any at all.

It appears you have the '73 + brakes and upper control arms(big ball joints), but you'll need to check your K-member to determine which idler & pitman arm to get. Studs pointing up are '72 & older (sandwich-style motor mounts), studs pointing up are '73 and newer (spool mounts).

I believe the tie rods are the same and the lower control arms interchange. Just some have different sway bar mounts and others don't have any at all.

I agree.

If you take more pictures of those items Locomotion mentioned, someone here could ID them for you.

Thanks guys! I won't be home until tomorrow night, but I'll try to get some pictures then.

check your K-member to determine which idler & pitman arm to get. Studs pointing up are '72 & older (sandwich-style motor mounts), studs pointing EDIT - down are '73 and newer (spool mounts)..

EDIT: After looking at the BB Dart webpage, looks like you can have a mess of combos. Wonder what the mounting difference is on the 71/2 idler versus 68-70? Is this a difference in the K frame?

Example, I'm right in the midst of swapping the K to a spool mount, for later swap to disks.

The steering link/ idler/ pitman combo is the old style, but used on the late spool mount K. (I currently have an early small spline steering box)
My idler was on this late K out of another 67, so I'm not sure what the idler is off of, so I'm guessing 71- 72/ earlier idler. The original 67 idler is an oddball.

Whether the pitman and idler stud points up or down will tell you whether you have late or early steering linkage, regardless of late/ early K.

The pitman will also depend on whether you have a big/ small spline on your steering box.

The tech pages over at BigBlockDart give you part no's

http://www.bigblockdart.com/techpages/techindex.shtml

http://www.bigblockdart.com/techpages/linkage.shtml

http://www.bigblockdart.com/techpages/steeringbox.shtml

http://www.bigblockdart.com/techpages/moognumbers.shtml

From the looks of it, I have the '67-'72 steering linkage. My outer tie rod ends look pretty good (not pictured), so at least I shouldn't have to worry about them. I'll need ball joints and the control arm bushings looked a little crusty.

366D0FF7-C333-4F7F-82D6-33767409B034-2445-00000256B3367472_zps4cc490a4.jpg

Is this what you are referring to as sandwich style motor mounts?

12F973F2-E520-485A-AAAF-AE4BC6121CC3-2445-00000256A53F5694_zps7241e499.jpg

Yes, you have sandwich mounts and early steering linkage.

If you don't know the history of the car, I would not even consider replacing much of anything without replacing the LCA bushings along with "whatever else." And so if you get that far, strut bushings are a "given."

-
Back