What SWAY BAR to choose

-

Mopar Momzee

Reaction score
Stock 69 barracuda has upgraded disk brakes when i purchased car. Brakes look to be 73-76 due to lower control arm sway bar bracket. Choices are Hellwig front sway bar 5906 stock looking sway bar, with that i have another set of lowers with stock mount sway bar tabs i will put on to accommodate. Or the larger sway bar Hellwig 55917 larger and hollow sway bar. Also I will rotate the calibers towards the rear as some people have done for clearance issues. Thanks jesse

1B342C65-4F96-4843-A430-EF12F6497ACF.jpeg

840E6D07-A7C2-4CD4-869D-6214F5440433.jpeg

DBB039A6-C671-4759-AAE5-F77E2214484C.jpeg

I used their hollow bar on my Dart because it was more of a restomod. It went on very easily and I had no complaints. It seemed like a quality product.

1708874528303.jpeg

1708874595687.jpeg

I have a 70 Duster now with tabs on the lower control arms and will be going with their solid bar (#5904) for a more original look.

Stock 69 barracuda has upgraded disk brakes when i purchased car. Brakes look to be 73-76 due to lower control arm sway bar bracket. Choices are Hellwig front sway bar 5906 stock looking sway bar, with that i have another set of lowers with stock mount sway bar tabs i will put on to accommodate. Or the larger sway bar Hellwig 55917 larger and hollow sway bar. Also I will rotate the calibers towards the rear as some people have done for clearance issues. Thanks jesse

View attachment 1716212377

View attachment 1716212378

View attachment 1716212376
I have the big Hellwig on my ‘73 Swinger. Installed their matching rear at the same time. Made a substantial difference and installed easily.

I used their hollow bar on my Dart because it was more of a restomod. It went on very easily and I had no complaints. It seemed like a quality product.

View attachment 1716212421

View attachment 1716212422

I have a 70 Duster now with tabs on the lower control arms and will be going with their solid bar (#5904) for a more original look.
that was the thought keep more of the original looking due to not really a restomod (yet) but just wanted some options. Thanks guys

I just looked and it appears that even the solid bars are that grey hammer tone finish.

All the Hellwig bars are that hammertone finish as far as I know.

As far as looking more original, it’s not going to be a big difference. The 55917 is a little larger in diameter and narrower. That’s it. The 5906 is a larger diameter than the original, it just uses the wider original 67-72 mounting tab locations, which also limit tire width. Although if you’re staying with 15” rims the tire width issue won’t be a problem.

All the Hellwig bars are that hammertone finish as far as I know.
My Hellwig 55914 1 & 1/4 in tubular sway for an early A came in that hammertone finish. I just gave it a coat of black paint so it looks like a stock sway bar

I’m not an expert but I believe that complicates things since you appear to have 73-76 lcas with the tabs in place for the 73-76 bars as well as front mount calipers.

I’m not an expert but I believe that complicates things since you appear to have 73-76 lcas with the tabs in place for the 73-76 bars as well as front mount calipers.

I'm in the same situation. Biscuit mount K member with 73-76 control arms. I asked Helwig and they recommended the #5904 for my Duster.

I’m running the same situation but with the rear mount calipers (spindles swapped side to side), I am told front mounts interfere with the 67-72 sway bar.

Hotchkis sells a bar that mounts to the early k-frame and uses the later LCA mount. Perfect for this situation. But the OP started another thread about that situation and said he thought he was going to use that bar but now he is asking about Hellwig bars. So either he can’t get the Hotchkis bar, he doesn’t like the price or he has some other reason to swap LCA’s and stick with the earlier setup.

I'm in the same situation. Biscuit mount K member with 73-76 control arms. I asked Helwig and they recommended the #5904 for my Duster.

I’m running the same situation but with the rear mount calipers (spindles swapped side to side), I am told front mounts interfere with the 67-72 sway bar.

HOTCHKIS SPORT SUSPENSION SYSTEMS, PARTS, AND COMPLETE BOLT-IN PACKAGES » Blog Archive » 1967-1972 Dodge A-Body Front Sport Sway Bar from Hotchkis Sport Suspension

I have the earlier style lowers also that I will swap out

Was thinking of keeping more of the stock look the hotockis bar sites lower and at that point looks more resto mod.

We're discussing Hellwig sway bars?

Just pointing out an option. Hellwig doesn’t have a bar that uses the later LCA tabs, but Hotchkis does. Yours and the other comment sounded like you didn’t think there was an option at all.

Was thinking of keeping more of the stock look the hotockis bar sites lower and at that point looks more resto mod.

The Hotchkis bar mounts just like the stock one, so other than the bigger diameter and lack of a hump in the middle for the core support bracket, can’t see that it would be much lower. But I haven’t messed with one either so I’m not going say I am right.

But since you have and are ok swapping the LCA and changing the spindles, you have more options.

It does complicate things, but it just means you can't use the stock 67-72 sway bars. There are other options, like the Hotchkis.
#5904 is a B/E body sway bar. I would definitely want to measure one before I tried it for that application.

Just pointing out an option. Hellwig doesn’t have a bar that uses the later LCA tabs, but Hotchkis does. Yours and the other comment sounded like you didn’t think there was an option at all.
I think the Hotchkis is the only one that will bolt up to the 73-76 LCA's on a 67-72 K frame.

Looking at where the Hellwig 55917 mounts, it appears that it put the end links outside the strut rod mounts still. The 73-76 sway bar tabs are on the inside of the strut rods, so the #55917 probably wouldn't work with the factory 73-76 tabs.

Running the Hotchkis sway bar on mine. It Definitely gives the resto mod vibe. Sits slightly lower than the k frame and it's huge due to being hollow. The bracketry is nice. I trimmed the outboard tabs off control arms and welded the inner ones supplied with the bar. I think the style given mimics the 73 and up location. I had my 73 up calipers to the rear. They could probably go upfront now?
Any advantage to the calipers being in the front as factory did? Some welding required.

IMG_20210510_212303960_HDR.jpg

I always like the appearance of rear hung front calipers and front hung calipers on rear disc systems.
Also, I prefer the 73-76 A style K member and sway bar design. The sway bar tucks up neater and in tighter. It weighs less due to it being shorter in each dimension while still being effective.
I've converted a few 70-72 cars to the 73-76 K member and steering linkage.

My 69 charger has the 71 k member and would agree on that, the sway bar tucked into k member is a cleaner look. To do that I had to cut welds on skid plate and re weld as the bar was too large to fit in without doing so.

-
Back