What the F@#& was chevy thinking?

-
i dont see why this is such a suprise. if i had to replace an oil pan gasket in my 63 valiant wagon with a slant six, i would have to pull the engine. you may be able to do it without pulling the engine, but i bet i could pull the engine, change the gasket and install the engine faster than i could try to do it with the engine installed. same with my girlfriend's 1959 nash metropolitan. thats impossible to change with the engine installed. im just glad my american made toyota doesnt leak.

The engineers that designed that POS should all be lined up and shot with a ball of their own **** then fired.

Is this a wimmins post where we compare apples to oranges while the fruit of our labor and our love of life in the year 2000 was still manufacturing the V8 in the 360 engine which had been changed little since it was first introduced as a 273 in 64. Where was Chrysler for the 39 years we waited for another small block or just waited for another V8 with rear wheel drive other then a truck. Guess it took them a partnership with a German company to add light to the bulb that must of burnt out in the 80's

I love my A-Body and although I have a different outlook then you on other manufacturers, at least I don't own anything I wouldn't be caught dead in

Doing rear crank seals on Toyota Camry's is like that too. You gotta drop the whole front subframe assembly.
I had to fit a speedi-sleeve on the crank, too.

Attachments

• Toyota Camry 94, 5S-FE, gunked up engine 001.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 136
  • Toyota Camry 94, 5S-FE, gunked up engine 004.jpg
    123 KB · Views: 136
  • Toyota Camry 94, 5S-FE, gunked up engine 007.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 140
I disagree. With the new CAN-Bus (controller area network) on newer cars, the amount of self diagnosis is astounding, if you have the tool to interface (mere OBD II scanners are like a ball peen hammer). As for disconnecting an engine mount to change the spark plugs, I don't see that as such a big deal, even working in a driveway. You only need to do it every 100k, anyhow.
Pulling an engine (or drivetrain) to remove the oil pan. Some cars are like that. Sometimes you can get by with lifting the motor only part way out. The books definitely don't always give the easiest procedure.
The exhaust crossover is sandwitched between the engine and trans and cannot be removed without the trans out. Trust me I spent 2 hours trying to see if I could get it apart without pulling the drivetrain.

i dont see why this is such a suprise. if i had to replace an oil pan gasket in my 63 valiant wagon with a slant six, i would have to pull the engine. you may be able to do it without pulling the engine, but i bet i could pull the engine, change the gasket and install the engine faster than i could try to do it with the engine installed. same with my girlfriend's 1959 nash metropolitan. thats impossible to change with the engine installed. im just glad my american made toyota doesnt leak.
Yeah but pulling your engine take 2 hours not 8

Doing rear crank seals on Toyota Camry's is like that too. You gotta drop the whole front subframe assembly.
I had to fit a speedi-sleeve on the crank, too.
Wow someone never changes their oil. Look at the sludge on the block.

Guess I won't complain about changing the fuel pump on the GF 97 Jimmy. Nothing like dropping the tank to replace the pump, after replacing three of them I got pretty good at it.:angry7:

Are the new Northstars any better? I have a friend that's looking at getting one of the new caddies and I'm sure he'd appreciate knowing if this was the kind of thing he's looking at.

There's a lot of this stuff that isn't new. You have to pull the engine on a 5.0 Mustang to change the oil pan gasket. Most cars have the pump in the tank (I had a Honda Civic that had an access door under the back seat though - I was dreading that job, it ended up taking about a half hour, no jack required..)

There's one rule that you never disobey with a new car. Warranty up. Buy as much factory warranty as you can get your hands on. This doesn't help the techs that much, but your wallet will thank you.

On my 08 Taurus you've got to remove the intake to change the back plugs. Buddies at the dealership have been assured that its no sweat however, and that the car will probably go well past 100K before I've got to mess with it.

Isn't there some GM SUV where the front suspension is built into the oil pan? I saw something like that hanging on a lift once. None for me thanks.

As far as that Dakota goes, us A body guys don't need to throw stones when it comes to hassle from working on exhaust. LOL

Wow someone never changes their oil. Look at the sludge on the block.

I have more pics like that one.....there are some tight ar5es out there that won't change oil, and trade their cars every 3 years....so in reallity, they never own their cars outright....bugga that for a life.....look after what you got and save money & hassel.

have a friend working on jaguars they have some crazy stuff also, timingchain tensionersare of a real stupid plastic design but are possible to change with engine in the car but it takes a ton of work,they also have some very overenginered transmissision mounts and more bolts bolting transmision to the engine than i have ever seen on anything else and very very hard to reach.

from my work doing exhaust i have seen some cars,cant remember what cars but its almost impossible to get to the exhaust manifold to exhaustpipeflange bolts,nevermind trying to get some good heat at them to break them loose,making quick and easy work very timeconsuming.
if i had a factory manual for some mid 90´s camaros i would realy like to know how to replace the exhaust from the cat back with a real stock GM system without taking the whole rear suspension down,not that i have done any like that but i know they are one pice. yep gm has some fine engineers..

Here's another one. only has 180,000km on it. its a 5.0 V8 Holden ute.

Attachments

• 98 Holden VS III Ute V8 180,000km dirty 001_resize.jpg
    161.9 KB · Views: 125
  • 98 Holden VS III Ute V8 180,000km dirty 004_resize.jpg
    167.6 KB · Views: 135
  • 98 Holden VS III Ute V8 180,000km dirty 008_resize.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 132
  • 98 Holden VS III Ute V8 180,000km dirty 012_resize.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 132
almost every caddy i,ve seen leaks. we had the pans leak i surely would install a new pan too. money aint a thing. 2.7 chry leak for the housing too.duster340 at lease you can go burn one before or after or both.lol

The jimmys blazers and Bravadas have serious issues with their fuel pumps going out, almost NEVER do one on any dodge tho, but those S10 based GM SUVs go out constantly

It's easy to bash new cars and how difficult they are to repair at home (my daily driver is a '68 for just that reason), but I seem to remember the late 60's-early'70's mustangs with the 428?, you had to pull the engine part of the way out to change the 2 back sparkplugs, same with the 401 AMX and javalins. And don't forget the stupid, plastic-covered timing gears Dodge put into EVERYTHINGin the 70's and 80's. But I do agree that the "at home maintenance" is quickly aproaching zero. When the Porsche Boxter first came out, you opened the hood, there was trunkspace, you opened the trunk, there was trunkspace with a dipstick coming through the floor - no engine to be found! The dealer told me that the owner couldn't do ANY maintenance because the body had to be lifted off to get to the engine. I don't know if he was BS-ing, but I bought an NSX instead.

Gotta love them northstars!

not sure if the model you are working on is the same but I know some of them the starters were under the intake manifolds!!!! crazy whoever was in charge at the time at gm must have obviously came in stoned off his *** everyday during the design time of those engines lol

multiple times I have had people ask me to replace waterpumps on them also......I say NOPE!!!!

Yep starer is in the valley under the intake But they made the intake really easy to get off(HA HA HA)

The jimmys blazers and Bravadas have serious issues with their fuel pumps going out, almost NEVER do one on any dodge tho, but those S10 based GM SUVs go out constantly

I agree that s10's, blazers,bravadas,jimmys,sanomas and so on have serious fuel pump issues....but as for dodges not?

I have to dissagree.

I have seen a TON of dodge trucks with fuel pumps out of them.

not to mention what really sucks is......

try doing a full tune up on one and go to pick up a new fuel filter and see what you find LOL......... of course......the fuel filter on the dodges is part of the fuel pump and sending unit and you have to replace the entire thing.

thats one downfall I think dodge could have did a little more thinking on, don't see why they could not have mounted a filter on the frame rail or something like normal.

also regarding s10's and blazers and what not......the vortec 4.3l's have whats called a spider injecter under the upper intake plenum that is notorious for going bad.

and on those same trucks and suv's GM didnt take the small mechanic into consideration during there design phase the put drive train and frame together and THEN lowered body down.....what this mean is the firewall almost makes it impossable to get to the bellhousing bolts..... so you have to dismount trans and t-case and drive shaft and dropp cross member and raise the vehicle up dang near 3 feet in the air to get the engine and trans to tilt enough to be able to get to the bell bolts.

I think in 1999 GM corrected that issue by putting a factory body lift on them all which raised the body up enough that the firewall was away from the bell housing that you could get to the bolts.

a friend of mine actually went to such extremes he cut holes in the firewall so he could access the bolts from the interior LOL.

I personally hammered the firewall in on one I had so I could save myself from all the extra work.

each manufacturer had some design flaws.....some more than others though

It's not just Chevy or Cadillac. My wife's daily driver is a '98 Olds Intrigue. I couldn't believe it the first time I went to replace spark plugs and couldn't get a wrench setup on the back 3 plugs of the transverse mounted V6. I finally gave up and took it to a local shop to replace those plugs. The mechanic told me you have to disconnect the motor mounts and rock the engine forward in order to get adequate access to the back plugs.
That's insane!

its not just gm its dodge to my cuz has a 99 dodge intreped and when he gets a tune up they try to charge him 400bucks cause the 3 on the backside im nvr getting anything newer nthen my aspen.

just changed an engine in a 2001 toyota highlander awd and found out the hard way that they made two different engine blocks for front wheel drive and all wheel drive. then i found out the owner wanted a new oil pump after installing the engine and had to disassemble the whole timing setup including the ac pump alternator and power steering. no matter what newer cars are nice to drive but a pain in the you know what to work on.

I remember changing the spark plugs in a mates 76 Transam with a 6.6lt BB in it.
It was RHD, so the air con unit was on the left of the firewall, so the only way to replace the rear 2 plugs was to remove the front left tyre, and use a universal jointed 5/8" plug socket.....found those 2 plugs had never been changed since the car was new......this was 1993.
To do spark plugs on a 95/96 Mitsubishi Pajero 3.5 DOHC V6, you need to remove the intake manifold, but leave behind the throttle body.

-
Back