What tires are you running on your family sedan here in the snow belt?

-

toolmanmike

Staff member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I need a set of tires for my wife's Buick Lucerne and I live in the snow belt. I would like a tire that is good in the snow but not have such a aggressive tread that they are real noisy on the highway. What are you running? tmm

I have looked at the Bridgestone Blizzak's (they look pretty noisy and wear fast on dry pavement)
Goodyear Assurance Triple Tread (Rated pretty good and long tread life)

I have Kelley Explorer Plus on my Century and Goodyear Assurance on my Impala. Both are very good on the highway and in rain/snow.

I could feel the difference in my Buick when I had the Explorer Plus put on. Much more shure-footed.

I just bought some Michelins for my 1999 Chrysler minivan that I just bought. I highly recommend the Michelins on a car you are planning on keeping even though they are a bit more expensive as they usually last a long time.

The Goodyear assurance and bf Goodrich advantage t/a are my top pick. Had the advantage ya on my wife intrepid a few years ago and that thing was like the polar express! Ever seen an intrepid pull a 4wd out of a snowy ditch?! :D

I have Kelley Explorer Plus on my Century and Goodyear Assurance on my Impala. Both are very good on the highway and in rain/snow.

I could feel the difference in my Buick when I had the Explorer Plus put on. Much more shure-footed.

The Goodyear assurance and bf Goodrich advantage t/a are my top pick. Had the advantage ya on my wife intrepid a few years ago and that thing was like the polar express! Ever seen an intrepid pull a 4wd out of a snowy ditch?! :D

Did you guys use the triple tread Goodyear's?

Did you guys use the triple tread Goodyear's?

I'm not sure if they are triple tread, but I'm happy with both of the tires on each car.

Right after putting the Kelley's on the Buick, I took it from Chicago to Detroit in a snow storm and they were great. I lowered my speed on the highway for the conditions, and those tires really did grip in the snow, I felt in total control in the snow. They also feel much better than the old tires in the rain also, very stable. They ride real nice in all weather. No noise.

I'm running the Bridgestone Blizzak's, I love them on ice and loose snow. I had them on my old 99 1500 2wd. I also have them on the wifes car,245 45r20 rwd 300. and I do notice a slight bit more road noise on the highway speeds over 50mph, but it's worth the traction!
I just make sure I have them mounted on their own rims so I can put them on the car a last minute, and get them off as early as possible.

The best are Dunlop Graspics or Bridgestone Blizzaks.

Anybody that thinks that "all-season" tires are just as good below
30F is drinking their bathwater.

The first time you go out in the worst immaginable weather with
these you will wonder why everybody else is going so slow!

I've run "pure winter" tires in the winter since 1990 and would not be
without them.

We're not talking about "snow tires" here, but "winter tires".

Any tire with fresh all-season tread is decent in snow. I'm talking
about getting on the interstate and having it looking like a black
mirror. these will grip.

Put them on in November and leave them on into mid-May.

Rain, slush, dead leaves and other slimy surfaces do not bother
them. They grip like velcro.

The last I've used are the Graspics. Quiet as a church and no wear
issues. 5 winters @8k/yr and still at 8/32". Finally sold them to a friend
and bought a new set just on principle.

-
Back