what to do about oil blow by

-

71dustar

Reaction score
I have about 180 mi on my 408 stroker and i have a small k/n breather filter on one valve cover while the other valve covers is ran into the carb. the k/n filter is soaked in oil and usually drips on fender or headers and i dont know what to do about it.

Could i run both valve covers into the carb, creating a negative pressure or should i run the one valve cover to a catch can?

I run an Evac system on my 410,it burns the oil up going out the hedders.
car pics 66 Dart 152.jpg

car pics 66 Dart 205.jpg

car pics 66 Dart 152.jpg

car pics 66 Dart 205.jpg

no they are the mopar magnum black wrinkle valve covers.the filter sits inbetween the intake and exhaust of #2 cylinder

No baffles will do it. I have the Mopar cast aluminum covers on my 360 and it blew oil out the breather and sucked it up the PCV valve when they didn't have baffles. I made baffles and installed them and problem is solved.

Do you run open headers only Scott? I wouldn't think an EVAC would work on a street car with an exhaust system due to back pressure. I might be wrong but that's just my thinking.
I run 18 inch extensions.Tracy I only drove the 66 Dart on the street with exhaust for trial and error when I got it running.It,s strictly race now.

hi, correct, pan evac has back pressure, on a street motor. pan evac's are for open headers and race cars period!!if you have a rumpy cam, do not use a pvc valve, use breathers on both covers. a pcv valve requires lots of vacuum to stay closed, rumpy cams have low vaccum, pvc valve is usually open , draws oil out through int manifold. I have seen this before. just food for thought

Those covers should have come with a baffle plate. If not try and make one or/and they also make breathers that have a baffle inside.(not as good as the ones in the valve cover but will help)

I run 18 inch extensions.Tracy I only drove the 66 Dart on the street with exhaust for trial and error when I got it running.It,s strictly race now.

That's what I was thinking. thanks Scott

hi, correct, pan evac has back pressure, on a street motor. pan evac's are for open headers and race cars period!!if you have a rumpy cam, do not use a pvc valve, use breathers on both covers. a pcv valve requires lots of vacuum to stay closed, rumpy cams have low vaccum, pvc valve is usually open , draws oil out through int manifold. I have seen this before. just food for thought

Thanks for confirming what I thought.

Those covers should have come with a baffle plate. If not try and make one or/and they also make breathers that have a baffle inside.(not as good as the ones in the valve cover but will help)

They don't have them out of the box. They sell the baffle kit as an option. You'd think for as much as they cost for them they'd have baffles!

That's weird, the black Mopar valve covers I just got have baffles installed, one on each cover on the oil cap holes.

There are standoffs for the knock out holes, but those do not have baffles. Anyone happen to have the part# for that baffle kit?

Anyone else think these things are ridiculously heavy? The old school cast aluminum Holley/MT deals I've currently got only weigh 1.5lbs each. Mopar black covers weigh 4-5lbs each. I really like the look, I just don't want to add any weight to the front of the car.

Steve

That's weird, the black Mopar valve covers I just got have baffles installed, one on each cover on the oil cap holes.

There are standoffs for the knock out holes, but those do not have baffles. Anyone happen to have the part# for that baffle kit?

Anyone else think these things are ridiculously heavy? The old school cast aluminum Holley/MT deals I've currently got only weigh 1.5lbs each. Mopar black covers weigh 4-5lbs each. I really like the look, I just don't want to add any weight to the front of the car.

Steve

Maybe they have started installing them now. I bought mine a couple yrs. ago and they didn't have them. The part for the baffle kit is # is P5007052

The old Holley covers were a lot lighter. One thing I can say for the Mopar covers is I've never seen any broken, LOL

I can understand not wanting to add weight but do you think you'll really notice 6-7 lbs? Is it a race car only?

The old Holley covers were a lot lighter. One thing I can say for the Mopar covers is I've never seen any broken, LOL

I can understand not wanting to add weight but do you think you'll really notice 6-7 lbs? Is it a race car only?

LOL! These covers could survive a fall from orbit probably. I can't understand the point of making them so thick though.

Its definitely not a race car only, but my 60' is very precious to me, and valve covers are in close to the worst place possible for any weight.

Plus, being as it is a street car, I'm short on weight loss options. Don't want to relocate the battery as I don't want to cut the car to run a switch, etc.

I have no idea whether it would actually make any measurable difference in 60' times. They look a lot cooler than the Holley covers, I'll give them that much.

Maybe they have started installing them now. I bought mine a couple yrs. ago and they didn't have them. The part for the baffle kit is # is P5007052

Funny...the ones I bought from mancini came with the baffles, but they werent installed. I had to install them with included self tapper screws.
And even then they still sucked...or is that blew?

I used to get oil all down the back of the engine no matter what I did.

can someone take a pic of these baffles so maybe i can fab something up with mine. gets annoying whipping oil off the fender and ruinning my tti headers.

can someone take a pic of these baffles so maybe i can fab something up with mine. gets annoying whipping oil off the fender and ruinning my tti headers.

I just used a piece of flat steel and drilled the proper holes measured from the stand-offs in the covers. Mounted them with sheet metal screws using a drop of loctite on each screw. Works fine.

i pulled valve cover and tapped the holes for 8-32 bolts. put some loctite on the bolts with a small steel plate and everything is much better.

Thanks for all the help.

My 410 use to spew out the breathers also with no PCV valve hooked up.
I talked to 1wild&crazy guy about it and he recommended to hook up the PCV valve to the back of the carb..............no more leaky breathers, all gone!

It's just a flat piece of galvanized steel that runs the whole length of the cover and has a slight downturn on the edges along the length.
That's what came with mine. I dont have them anymore to take pics.

Mine were for the mag...maybe the baffles are different?

-
Back