what to do to prevent ticks on my dog

-

DRENO

Reaction score
I figure there's at least 5000 of you out there with dogs.We just got our first dog and now that summer is coming my wife found a few ticks on him.She freaked! Any ideas on some preventative maintenance?

View attachment IMG_0551.jpg

Another thing,what's the best way to get the little bastard out if he's dug in?

Light a wood match let it burn to get good and hot. Blow it out and stick it on the tick's back. Out he comes. You should talk to your vet about stuff to prevent ticks. Lots of stuff on the market and some of it is dangerous.

Go to your local hardware store or feed store and buy Sevens Dust, it's used in your garden to keep bugs off your plants, It's safe for pet use I use to use it on my Lab it works great and it's cheap,
Just sprinkle it on the dog and rub it in real good

He might need new lifters.

BTW, how do you duck with a emoticon around here? :)

Dawn soap, dab the tick. Ticks breath through their skin and that suffocates them and they'll back out.

He looks so happy DRENO. Congrats on getting a doggie!!

Tick types are different depending on where you live....Luckily unless we go to the mountains, they aren't an issue here :prayer:

I'm gonna watch the replies & learn though :sign7:

Front Line Plus x2

Good luck with burnt matches, butter, etc.

We got an infestation with over 100 on just one of the dogs once...tweezers and dump 'em in a jar of rubbing alcohol (but make sure you get the head)

Check the armpits, between the toes, in the pads, the neck, the ears, etc.

<Disclaimer - not a vet, just what we've done with our dogs - YMMV>

Congratulations on the new family member DRENO :cheers: he looks happy happy happy :D
Here in Arkansas I was bit by a tick looking at a roadrunner in a mans back yard
I won't go into what happened :banghead: but I take all steps to prevent ever getting bit again.
Blue Dawn soap is the way to remove them like Joe said and do not squeeze them to remove one....If they do have lymes it will inject you or a pet as you take it off, I spread this in my yard every 3 months I just went out and took a picture of for you, and as you can see this is priority 1 for me on the hill.
I have used it for the last 5 years and it works to keep them at bay and out of our walking/playing area, This is a must do for me and my 2 friends and all my family.
I also use 7 dust :cheers: helps with mosquitoes and flies on Buddy and also put it in Buddy's kennel I just moved again a couple weeks ago.
I don't like using spray on repellent and have not had to in years, but I have put it on my brothers dog last year and it tore me up watching her jump and run but we gave her a bath after with a Tic preventing soap..
Before you take your friend for a walk wipe a dryer sheet (cheapest on the shelf is best) and just pet him down the legs and back/belly and that will detour a tic, even on you DRENO. Never get a tic hot enough to pop, the dang thing will shoot lymes out in the air................ we use to do it a long time ago and learned that is the worst way to kill one once you have removed one ... The colors that have Tic and Flea deturant work good also. but I think the seven dust after a bath with a tic/flea deterrent shampoo goes a long ways, just wait till he is good and dry then shake it on and pet it in

Front Line Plus x2 is a good product and does good if you take your friend out of your yard and into another ..

Attachments

• Memorial Day 2013 017.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 157
  • Memorial Day 2013 018.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 150
Front line plus for preventative measure and when your dog gets a tick just hold an alchohol swab on it because they breath out there arse and they will come out because they cant breath . Talk to a vet is your best thing to do , every area a little different .

Brush them out with a special brush, for fleas, at your local pet store. And dont let him roll in the grass or tree'd areas that is where they pick them up.

Front line plus for preventative measure and when your dog gets a tick just hold an alchohol swab on it because they breath out there arse and they will come out because they cant breath . Talk to a vet is your best thing to do , every area a little different .

This is how I remove them off of me when they get attached :prayer:

PetArmor from Walmart same active ingredient as front line but half the cost.

For preventative repelling and killing ticks on the dog, take a look at the active ingredient in the Preventix tick collar. My vet recommended it for the times we go into an area favorable to ticks. So I did a web search on the product its testing was surprising effective. Doubley so for me because after learning flea collars are pretty ineffective, I figured collars were generally a waste of money.

This Spring my dog has picked up a couple of ticks (not wearing the collar) and so I just put on a topical for fleas and ticks with pyrethin in it. Its prescription, but Frontline is pretty good and not perscription. (Fleas are easy to to pick up around here, so the dog always gets a topical but usually Advantage but that does nothing for ticks).

Best method I've found for removing the buggers if you're not real adept with the tweasers is to make a 'remover'.
Start with an old 35mm film canister (or similar plastic item).
Cut a v-notch in the rim about 1/4" deep.
Cut a thin slit at the bottom of the notch about 1/4" further.
Slide the notch along the skin and catch the tick at the head and this way you don't accidently squeeze 'em.
Remove tick and drop in alcohol.
Then usually I'll lay 'em on a paper towel to make it easier to ID them.
Some of the State extension offices have good bulletins [ame="http://entomology.cornell.edu/extension/medent/tickbiofs.cfm"]like this one from Cornell in NY:[/ame] or [ame="http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/2000/pdf/2073.pdf"]this pdf from Ohio State[/ame]

Like someone already said, there's a bunch of different types of ticks depending on where you live. So it helps to figure out which ones are the problem, what diseases they carry, and what habitats they like (so you can alter them or be ready for when your dog may enter them).

Thanks for all the replies everyone. I'll look into them. I checked and his muffler bearings were worn so I replaced them with synthetic ones. :D

Thanks for all the replies everyone. I'll look into them. I checked and his muffler bearings were worn so I replaced them with synthetic ones. :D

I bet he had quite a surprised look on his face when you did that/

My dog and the horses get them all the time. Get them on me all the time too. I just pick them off and burn them with a lighter.

Shave the dog

I`ve used frontline on my rottweiler and it doesn`t work. flea collars are useless on him got some new stuff and it doesn`t work either.
my yard is an acre that used to be a prarie. think I`ll try the sevin dust next time. not supposed to do anything for 36 days w/ this new stuff that already don`t work. SUCKS TO SEE HIM SCRATCHING ALL THE TIME!:thumbdow:

-
Back