What to do....

-

Scampin

Reaction score
So I did a quicky rebuild on the 273 in the barracuda and replaced the needed seals. Did a quicky rebuild on the trans replacing the seals. Put the 8 3/4 in 3.23 gears, rebuilt the front end all new balljoints, tie rods, etc. Rebuilt the shifter, put a new radiator in it. I just need to finish brakes, have the driveshaft cut, etc. I just can't do it. I have zero interest in it. All I can think about is my 71 scamp and my 71 duster. I am either selling the barracuda, or it is trading places with the scamp and going in the corner till I decide what to do... Whats it worth? 64 barracuda 273 4spd black/red interior. Not quite done, but probably could be in a week or two. Should I just keep it?

Finish it and drive it till you finish your Scamp. It will be much easier to sell if its drivable.

Yup - What he said. It's worth little if it's not driving, and worth not too much more when it is...lol. I have a '65 too and there's just no residual value to these cars. The V8s were more common than the slant sixes too. So stick the last few hundred into it and get it drivable. Then either store it or drive it and if someone falls in love - they can have it.

And a few years from now,, you'll be kicking your butt you sold it..

I often find project cars avail cheap.. I go over,, kick the tires,, ask him what he's stuck on,, then tell him I'll be over on the weekend with what-ever to get the job done,, after a coupla days,, his bloods flowin, the passions there,, and I tell him to phone when he get stuck again..

4 completed cars now,, not all mopars..

I also put an ad in our local classifieds offering help with stuck project cars.. was blown away by the response..

Perhaps a friend with some motivation could help you.

Where are you anyway? ?

I don't think anyone else can tell YOU what to do.

But I also would recommend keeping it and getting it running. You may find after driving it a bit that it really is fun to drive and "I'm glad I finished it."

What's worked for me in the past is actually putting it on my schedule. Like every Tuesday night is work on the Barracuda Night exclusively. No other distractions allowed.

Another thing you might try is writing out an a list of things that need to be done. Then do it one-by-one. Crossing off a line on your list can be very satisfying and motivating. You'll probably find your enthusiasm increasing as you see the list shrinking.

I like Inertia's idea. Sometimes it's easier for me to work on other people's cars instead of my own. If I ever retire, I'd like to try that. Right now I'm working on a friend's 69 Torino. Engine compartment stripped and painted. Starting a hop-up of the 351W now. I'm not a Ford guy but it's different for me. (and makes me appreciate Mopars even more) It's a very nice looking fastback but a hydraulic cylinder moved by an actuator with input from the steering shaft for power steering assist...really?? Even with all new front and rear HD suspension, it's pretty vague.

-
Back