What to look for??

-

Smeday

Reaction score
Below are some pics of a 1968 Barracuda 340 4spd Formula S. I am going to go look at it tomorrow, again because there were closed.
It has a cheap set of traction bars and the drivers front headlight bezel and inner fender have been crumpled and straightened.
Please offer up some suggestions as what to look for and maybe even offer for the car.
Please pay no attention to the guy drooling (me) in the photos.

Attachments

• 0730012025.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 250
  • 0730012025a.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 235
  • 0730012026a.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 277
  • 0730012026b.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 285
A couple more...

Attachments

• 0730012026c.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 228
  • 0730012028.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 270
  • 0730012028a.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 267
  • 0730012029a.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 251
Nahhh, doesn't look worth buying. Could you send me the address? :toothy7:
Nice find! Good luck!!

First, take a close up picture of the fender tag and get it decoded. If you post the numbers on FABO someone will decode for you, or you can download free fendertag decoders off of the web.

Second, crawl underneath and check floors and frame rail for rot. Also, check VIN on trans and motor to see if it matches fendertag and dash VIN.

Lastly, take a thin magnet to check for filler in the body. I use those thin realestate broker fridge magnets. You can cut them into small pieces that are great for checking for body filler.

What's the asking price? Is it an original 340 numbers matching car?

Uh-oh, You want it bad, I can tell.
See if they have a lift and look for rusted floorpans, trunk pans, frame rails etc.
And of course a close listen to the engine and a decent test drive.
Check the vin. to see if it`s the real deal.
Value is what a man`s willing to pay.
From where I`m setting, 6 to 16 large.
Hope ya get it and it goes to a good home.

Thanks for all the hints...

The addresss is.... Not 'til I'm finished. Then you guys can!!! :toothy7:

I did forget to mention that I did crawl under and look at the floor boards as best as my "thickness" would allow. No rust to the naked eye, just a very thick coat of what I would call under coating that looks like it has been here a long time. The inside of all the fender wells felt very nice. No rust bubbles on the backside.

I tried to find the ID Number on the block but couldn't see from the top of the engine compartment.

There was no fender tag. Just the vin from the window registration. Which I ran and it says that it is a 340 4spd Formula S built at the Hammtrack Plant. Also looks like an 8 3/4 rear. Judging from photos I found here and compared.

What about a price...

Thanks again for all the replies!!!! I usually just lurk in the shadows and try to learn from everyone else, but I figured this one deserves to be mentioned!!

S.

too easy to find...lol never posts pics with the state and phone number of the place...

(716) 373-1556
171 W Main St
Allegany, NY 14706

what are they asking for it? doesn't look all that bad. but that all depends on what they think its worth. like said look for rust and bondo all over the car...

whats witht he motor? looks like it used to be red at one time. is it a 340 or a 273/318 painted to look like a 340?

Thanks for all the hints...
The addresss is.... Not 'til I'm finished. Then you guys can!!! :toothy7:

To late, I already "Googled" the name on the window of the business...:yawinkle:

I did forget to mention that I did crawl under and look at the floor boards as best as my "thickness" would allow. No rust to the naked eye, just a very thick coat of what I would call under coating that looks like it has been here a long time. The inside of all the fender wells felt very nice. No rust bubbles on the backside.

Is the undercoating new? If it is it's hiding something. Also, I would still do a magnet check on the body.

I tried to find the ID Number on the block but couldn't see from the top of the engine compartment... There was no fender tag. Just the vin from the window registration.

1968 VIN is on the back of the block just below Driver's side head...very difficult to see. You will need a mirror.

Where's the fender tag? You need to check for VIN on radiator support because it's too easy to swap in a different dash.

What about a price...

Still too many varibles to make a good guess. Originality (all correct numbers (engine/trans) and make sure VINs on the body match the dash.

I knew you guys could really find the address if you wanted too!!

I'm not sure of the asking price yet cuz they were closed. I agree with the 6k to 16k.

I just didn't want to start with an insult low offer or a to high it hurts me terribly down the road. Forgot how much this lookin', offerin', possibly buyin' plays with ya!! Lovin' it!!

S.

A no fender tag '68 can be a problem to verify unless you have the build sheet. The VIN is nowhere else on the body so it's nice to match the shipping order number on the fender tag to the core support. The VIN should be on the engine and transmission however. The one on the engine is crudely stamped in the rear of the block up on top close the bell housing to the drivers' side of center. The transmission should have a machined pad on the passenger side that has the VIN stamped into it. If those match, I would feel a little more comfortable but there has been some parts swapping on that car. It has deluxe door panels but not a deluxe instrument bezel. The shifter isn't stock. The header panel and trunk lid are missing emblems. The above mentioned engine paint. No wheel opening or rocker mouldings. Repaired fan shroud? Antenna? I'd look this thing over REAL good before I forked any money over.

67valiant 100, your sister must go to St. Bonaventure. My wifes Alma mater.
GO BONNIES!!!!

CudaMark, thanks for the additional places to look and things to look for.

As for this little Gem. Looks like it may already be sold. I stopped today and asked a few questions. The gentlemen at the garage said the owner was asking $20,000. I'm not sure if that is what he got for it.

Turns out the motor that is currently in it is Not the original, BUT the owner has the original and it will go along with it. So thank you everyone for the quick eyes.

The mechanic couldn't give me very many details 'cept for the motor and the price and the fact that it may be sold and I didn't want to push. He told me to call in a couple of days to be sure. I can say for me that the asking price is out of my range.

Oh well I enjoyed the short hunt and advice that I received from here!! Might be a little late in the season, but I am gonna keep looking!!

S.

$20k? thats stupid money for that car. some one got beat if they paid anywhere near that fot it.

$20k? thats stupid money for that car. some one got beat if they paid anywhere near that fot it.

Thank you!! I totally agree. I had to put on my poker face when he said 20K. I was thinkin' a Hell of a lot lower.

S.

It's probably a good thing-- they had you on surveillance camera-- watching you drool all over the car !!
Thanks for the story--- update when they call you telling the deal fell through & are you still interested at 20k!! Lawrence

20k, they need to smoke another joint, for that kind of money the original engine should be in the car and one should be able to eat off of it, all that black detailing crap on the rear and the bumpers should not be on the car, all exterior ornamentation should have zero damage, front bumper should be mounted straight. Car should require absolutely nothing at that price point.

-
Back