What to put on these threads?

-
fileing the chrome base does work once you get down past the chrome to the parent material (iron). get both surfaces flat/dont overtorque/good cement/gasket. I search for one that has a wide a flange as possible (most are too narrow), not sure why, I think that'd be a (mfr) no brainer .

. I search for one that has a wide a flange as possible (most are too narrow), not sure why, I think that'd be a (mfr) no brainer .
Same reason they put12 mm heads on bolts that 20 years ago had a 13mm head, some beancounter figured out a way to use less material, and make a cheaper part that sells for the same price

Teflon tape, rtv, file the housing....Where's the bang your head on the wall emoji ?

i miss that one so much, i found this image and saved it on my computer
now, when i need it, i just hit "upload" photo

banghead.gif

Permatex thread sealant.
On another note: Nows the time to ditch the chrome thermostat housing.
They have been known to have leak issues.

View attachment 1715103689

Holy ****! Mountain out of a mole hill. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^This and be done with it. NPT are a super stupid Briths design that should have been outlawed centuries ago. It is a tapered design that simply requires mega torque to seal but still never really does. Over the centuries man has figured out that this design is in fact **** and that non-like materials work pretty good at sealing with an NPT. Example---Brass barb 1/4" NPT in cast iron. Steel NPT in Aluminum manifold. The Permatex liquid Teflon is excellent and smells nice to boot. J.Rob

I always use the liquid teflon (Permatex as shown above) on all the pipe threads. Problem with teflon tape is that it makes the fitting slightly "bigger" and when you tighten it sometimes a thin-walled aluminum casting splits from the pressure. It's easier to do than you might think.

I used an aluminum water outlet recently for the 4-bbl swap on my 318, figured having the same metal as the intake (Eddy Performer) would help prevent leaking issues. Working so far, 1000 miles later...

-
Back